Author Topic: U2 and Noel Gallagher - Don't Look Back in Anger  (Read 2719 times)

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
  • I know that this is not goodbye, my forum friends!
Re: U2 and Noel Gallagher - Don't Look Back in Anger
« Reply #45 on: July 11, 2017, 01:37:00 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Now call me a moaning old git......but sorry this is awful.

I have no problem with loose or ramshackle, I do not believe in things need to be polished to work but sorry this is pretty embarrassing for u2 as musicians IMO.

Larry sitting behind his kit shaking a tambourine? WTF? Surely he could have learned the drum part....

What is Adam doing?......Virtually nothing.

Edge's solo is awful - it is like a guy who has had lessons and can only play the most basic style trying to play something beyond his ability and something that soars usually fell flat as he totally bodged it.

Surely they could have done a better job than this and put on a full band version it isn't that hard to do for musicians of their experience.....it was clearly planned/clearly not a quick impro job.

They took a song that has filled venues bigger even than that one last night and sounded huge and euphoric and turned out a flat high street buskers version. If it wasn'y for Noel's strumming ability there would be nothing happening! Well nothing that resembles a song anyway.

Leave it alone tonight if that is all you can do, lads.

Im going to say something here...that will prove to be highly controversial. But...i happen to think, that for a band of their stature, u2 are probably the least talented "musicians" that there has been. Their skills are very basic compared to other acts that have reached such heights. And i think this is likely the reason for their stagnant setlists. They simply arent good enuff to mix things up, whereas other bands can play almost differnt sets for nights in row.
And heres the thing...as basic as musicians as i believe them to be....there is no other band that pleases my ear more, than u2. I adore them, its just i think they have limited capability when it comes to performing

I have said myself that u2 are a lot better than the sum of their parts....
Yeah....that is very true. Not sure many fans would be able to admit that tho.

I am not so sure - a lot would. Didn't Bono say u2 are the worlds worst wedding band!
Well, they ARE all self-taught musicians, with little or no formal training (I believe I've read this somewhere).  I think each of them would admit that they would be nothing without the other three men, at least musically. There ARE better guitarists, more technical guitarists. There ARE better drummers. There ARE better singers. But, as a whole, NOBODY CAN BEAT U2.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #46 on: July 11, 2017, 01:38:15 PM »

I have no problem with loose or ramshackle, I do not believe in things need to be polished to work but sorry this is pretty embarrassing for u2 as musicians IMO.

Larry sitting behind his kit shaking a tambourine? WTF? Surely he could have learned the drum part....

Edge's solo is awful - it is like a guy who has had lessons and can only play the most basic style trying to play something beyond his ability and something that soars usually fell flat as he totally bodged it.

Surely they could have done a better job than this and put on a full band version it isn't that hard to do for musicians of their experience.....it was clearly planned/clearly not a quick impro job.

They took a song that has filled venues bigger even than that one last night and sounded huge and euphoric and turned out a flat high street buskers version. If it wasn'y for Noel's strumming ability there would be nothing happening! Well nothing that resembles a song anyway.

Im going to say something here...that will prove to be highly controversial. But...i happen to think, that for a band of their stature, u2 are probably the least talented "musicians" that there has been. Their skills are very basic compared to other acts that have reached such heights. And i think this is likely the reason for their stagnant setlists. They simply arent good enuff to mix things up, whereas other bands can play almost differnt sets for nights in row.
And heres the thing...as basic as musicians as i believe them to be....there is no other band that pleases my ear more, than u2. I adore them, its just i think they have limited capability when it comes to performing

I am not so sure - a lot would. Didn't Bono say u2 are the worlds worst wedding band!
Well, they ARE all self-taught musicians, with little or no formal training (I believe I've read this somewhere).  I think each of them would admit that they would be nothing without the other three men, at least musically. There ARE better guitarists, more technical guitarists. There ARE better drummers. There ARE better singers. But, as a whole, NOBODY CAN BEAT U2.

As said much greater than the sum of their parts

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2017, 04:27:29 PM »

They are all self-taught, but Bono and Adam have definitely taken lessens over the years. The other two might have had a little training in the past, but I doubt it has been as extensive.

Offline david

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2017, 07:04:34 PM »
Although he was self taught as a teenager I am pretty sure Larry has had formal training and indeed continues to get lessons of some sort.

I suppose this is the downside to camera phones and the internet. Imagine if nobody filmed them playing with Gallagher and our opinion was purely based on word of mouth. It would probably be remembered as a really powerful moment. I recall seeing U2 play the Thin Lizzy song Dancing the Moonlight at Slane and thinking it was amazing. I had never seen video or heard audio of it until only recently and it was actually a shambolic performance, but on the night it was wonderful.

Offline dtc

• Wanderer
« Reply #49 on: July 12, 2017, 02:49:54 AM »
The solo: I first played this in the car, not optimal conditions, and my first thought was, "Oh dear....!".

However, I have listened to it a few times since then and there really isn't anything wrong with it, just a minor flub on a slide up later on. It's not the original Noel solo in full, but it does take elements of it like the bends and the fast runs and then adds on trademark Edge stuff. So if you think about any of the great Edge solos, like SBS, UTEOTW, The Fly, Walk On, Unknown Caller, WOWY from Washington (4:45 on You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login), it really is Edge saying, "Yeah, I could just do the simple solo but I'll make it my own".

And he does. I like it. It isn't a horrible mess like some Edge / U2 haters would have it.

IMHO.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 02:52:14 AM by dtc »

Offline soloyan

• Staring at the Sun
  • A dangerous idea that almost makes sense
« Reply #50 on: July 12, 2017, 05:42:19 AM »
I've expressed my frustration many times that U2 weren't more spontaneous... it's as if they were punishing me !

Jokes aside, it's not very good but I bet it was very emotional under the circomstances. I'm not sure the news went as far as the US but the song was used before a football (soccer) game between France and England (in France) last month.

Half the stadium ended up in tears. I guess U2 wanted to take the opportunity of having Noel to try and give that to the crowd.

If I'm being honest, I always thought Oasis were vastly overrated and this song is just a sample of this. Just my opinion.

Offline trevgreg

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #51 on: July 12, 2017, 06:12:06 AM »
I've expressed my frustration many times that U2 weren't more spontaneous... it's as if they were punishing me !

Same old, Same old: "The guys don't change it up often! I wish they were more spontaneous!"

Band is spontaneous and plays a one-off: "That sounded awful! Why play it if they didn't rehearse it enough!"

;)

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #52 on: July 12, 2017, 09:08:57 AM »
To be fair to oasis DLBIA is the kind of big everyman mega hit that u2 wish they had and keep on striving for.....

They just aren't that good at that kind of thing though - their real strengths and where they arw great are with more alternative/esoteric stuff.

Bono would kill for a mass communal to all singalong song like it.

Offline lazyboy

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #53 on: July 12, 2017, 11:32:18 AM »

Ah now you're just trolling!! ;D

Offline 73October

• Numb
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #54 on: July 12, 2017, 11:59:56 AM »

I don't think he would kill anyone for a singalong song - he just gestures his arms and we do it.
I rest my case.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 12:01:40 PM by 73October »

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #55 on: July 12, 2017, 12:26:54 PM »

Ha! Honestly i am not.

Name me a u2 song as ubiquitous as DLBIA....bear in mind i am talking about from a UK perspective.

They have many better songs don't get me wrong, and i mean many but none as ubiquitous and none that an audience would singalong with to the same level.

Offline lazyboy

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #56 on: July 12, 2017, 12:35:59 PM »
Still haven't found
Pride
With or without you
New Year's Day
Beautiful day
Desire
Streets

To name but a few.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #57 on: July 12, 2017, 01:07:36 PM »

Ha! Honestly i am not.

Name me a u2 song as ubiquitous as DLBIA....bear in mind i am talking about from a UK perspective.

They have many better songs don't get me wrong, and i mean many but none as ubiquitous and none that an audience would singalong with to the same level.

honestly WOWY and maybe Streets or Pride? idk i do think WOWY is on the singalong level that DLBIA is.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #58 on: July 12, 2017, 01:20:26 PM »
Still haven't found
Pride
With or without you
New Year's Day
Beautiful day
Desire
Streets

To name but a few.

Not one of them is on anywhere near the same level of everyman appeal as DLBIA.

Not in my experience - and if you put those songs on in front of 100,000 people in a field somewhere and DLBIA i know which song would illicit the biggest arms in the air, grown men hugging as they singalong reaction.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #59 on: July 12, 2017, 01:21:01 PM »

Ha! Honestly i am not.

honestly WOWY and maybe Streets or Pride? idk i do think WOWY is on the singalong level that DLBIA is.

Not for my money

Good debate though
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 01:26:01 PM by an tha »