Author Topic: U2 and Noel Gallagher - Don't Look Back in Anger  (Read 2718 times)

Offline lazyboy

• Party Girl/Boy
Re: U2 and Noel Gallagher - Don't Look Back in Anger
« Reply #60 on: July 12, 2017, 04:45:21 PM »
That's completely subjective and based on the pool of people! Worldwide U2 absolutely kill Oasis every time. Everyone knows One, WOWY, ISHFWILF. This isn't just based on your local on karaoke night, but even then I guarantee U2 matches or beats Oasis' best

Offline Blueyedboy

• Running to Stand Still
  • Embrace the challenge
« Reply #61 on: July 12, 2017, 06:18:45 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
That's completely subjective and based on the pool of people! Worldwide U2 absolutely kill Oasis every time. Everyone knows One, WOWY, ISHFWILF. This isn't just based on your local on karaoke night, but even then I guarantee U2 matches or beats Oasis' best

I wouldn't get worked up about this pointless comparison, the band would get absolutely crucified on these very pages if they released anything as accessible as DLBIA.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #62 on: July 12, 2017, 07:40:40 PM »

Bono would kill for a mass communal to all singalong song like it.

Ah now you're just trolling!! ;D

Ha! Honestly i am not.

Name me a u2 song as ubiquitous as DLBIA....bear in mind i am talking about from a UK perspective.

They have many better songs don't get me wrong, and i mean many but none as ubiquitous and none that an audience would singalong with to the same level.

honestly WOWY and maybe Streets or Pride? idk i do think WOWY is on the singalong level that DLBIA is.

Not for my money

Good debate though

context is key to everything though. Oasis frankly wasn't that big a deal in the states outside of Wonderwall and Champagne Supernova. WOWY you STILL hear all the time on the radio. Don't think i've ever heard DLBIA on the radio, i'm sure you hear it all the time though.

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #63 on: July 12, 2017, 08:18:57 PM »

Now call me a moaning old git......but sorry this is awful.

I have no problem with loose or ramshackle, I do not believe in things need to be polished to work but sorry this is pretty embarrassing for u2 as musicians IMO.

Larry sitting behind his kit shaking a tambourine? WTF? Surely he could have learned the drum part....

What is Adam doing?......Virtually nothing.

Edge's solo is awful - it is like a guy who has had lessons and can only play the most basic style trying to play something beyond his ability and something that soars usually fell flat as he totally bodged it.

Surely they could have done a better job than this and put on a full band version it isn't that hard to do for musicians of their experience.....it was clearly planned/clearly not a quick impro job.

They took a song that has filled venues bigger even than that one last night and sounded huge and euphoric and turned out a flat high street buskers version. If it wasn'y for Noel's strumming ability there would be nothing happening! Well nothing that resembles a song anyway.

Leave it alone tonight if that is all you can do, lads.

Im going to say something here...that will prove to be highly controversial. But...i happen to think, that for a band of their stature, u2 are probably the least talented "musicians" that there has been. Their skills are very basic compared to other acts that have reached such heights. And i think this is likely the reason for their stagnant setlists. They simply arent good enuff to mix things up, whereas other bands can play almost differnt sets for nights in row.
And heres the thing...as basic as musicians as i believe them to be....there is no other band that pleases my ear more, than u2. I adore them, its just i think they have limited capability when it comes to performing

I have said myself that u2 are a lot better than the sum of their parts....
Yeah....that is very true. Not sure many fans would be able to admit that tho.

I am not so sure - a lot would. Didn't Bono say u2 are the worlds worst wedding band!

I'm with you guys. This is a band that is better as a whole than the individual parts. Unlike bands like Zeppelin or Floyd--where the individual members are very accomplished musicians--U2's individual members aren't particularly great on their own. Bono in his prime was an incredible lyricist and a very good vocalist, but no where near the vocal caliber of Freddie Mercury or even Robert Plant. The Edge can't compare, technically speaking, to Jimmy Page or even Slash. No one is going to claim Larry is as good as John Bonham and I don't think you'll find anyone who thinks Adam is on John Paul Jones' level. But you combine these individual parts and you have one of the greatest rock bands of all time. Better than Zeppelin or The Stones? Debatable, of course, but U2 are certainly in that upper echelon of bands.

Now as far as a unique sound, The Edge obviously has a very unique sound and style. He's just not technically as accomplished as other guitarists.

Offline Blueyedboy

• Running to Stand Still
  • Embrace the challenge
« Reply #64 on: July 13, 2017, 12:32:11 AM »

Bono would kill for a mass communal to all singalong song like it.

Ah now you're just trolling!! ;D

Ha! Honestly i am not.

Name me a u2 song as ubiquitous as DLBIA....bear in mind i am talking about from a UK perspective.

They have many better songs don't get me wrong, and i mean many but none as ubiquitous and none that an audience would singalong with to the same level.

honestly WOWY and maybe Streets or Pride? idk i do think WOWY is on the singalong level that DLBIA is.

Not for my money

Good debate though

context is key to everything though. Oasis frankly wasn't that big a deal in the states outside of Wonderwall and Champagne Supernova. WOWY you STILL hear all the time on the radio. Don't think i've ever heard DLBIA on the radio, i'm sure you hear it all the time though.

You're not a million miles away from the truth, I can't remember the last time I heard DLBIA on UK radio, and pales in comparison in terms of radio play and sing along to Beautiful Day, mainly due to BD being a number one single, the theme tune to the flagship football programme for a couple of seasons and an unashamed rip off of an Aha track :)

The beauty of DLBIA being an anthem for recent attacks is that it's defiant/pacifist message was spontaneously sung at a vigil and snowballed from there, the stars aligned and U2 and Noel were thrown together to send out the same message.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #65 on: July 13, 2017, 02:16:28 AM »
There is absolutely no way for my money under any kind of context outside of the bubble of a u2 crowd that BD is a bigger singalong track than DLBIA .... i just can't buy that. Not in Britain not from what i have personally seen anyway.

This isn't about which song is best/quality etc it is simply about the singalong factor and DLBIA for me is the easy winner when it comes to that.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #66 on: July 13, 2017, 02:18:48 AM »
There is absolutely no way for my money under any kind of context outside of the bubble of a u2 crowd that BD is a bigger singalong track than DLBIA .... i just can't buy that. Not in Britain not from what i have personally seen anyway.

This isn't about which song is best/quality etc it is simply about the singalong factor and DLBIA for me is the easy winner when it comes to that.

you really have to trust me on this one. that's not a hit single here, not in texas anyways. ive been to 2 Noel shows and 6 U2 shows. i promise the response isn't as big to DLBIA. Noel isn't that kind of draw here. He played a small theater and a bigger theater but as opener for SNOW PATROL. They had like one hit.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 02:21:42 AM by THRILLHO »

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #67 on: July 13, 2017, 02:28:43 AM »

you really have to trust me on this one. that's not a hit single here, not in texas anyways. ive been to 2 Noel shows and 6 U2 shows. i promise the response isn't as big to DLBIA. Noel isn't that kind of draw here. He played a small theater and a bigger theater but as opener for SNOW PATROL. They had like one hit.

I qualified with in Britain ages ago, my friend!!

You are gonna have to trust me!

I know oasis did nothing over in your part of the world....you may find it hard to believe just how big they were when they broke here - it was incredible.

Check out knebworth gigs for example.

What i am talking about is pint spilling, hands aloft, grown men hugging communal singalong stuff here and DLBIA in Britain was/is enormous in that respect with arguably the most well known/most rabble rousing chorus ever.

The NME think so at least: Their description of your boys the killers mr brightside is spot on too IMO.

Offline very good

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #68 on: July 13, 2017, 04:02:11 AM »
Oasis 1995-1997 were bigger in Britain than U2 1987-88.

Offline trevgreg

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #69 on: July 13, 2017, 05:14:09 AM »

Agreed on the U.S. aspect, for sure. I wouldn't doubt that DLBIA is bigger in the UK though.

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #70 on: July 13, 2017, 05:21:27 AM »

I think U2 87-88 were not just huge in Britain, but internationally, whilst Oasis were principally a British phenomenon 95-97.  It'd be interesting to compare British album sales for both bands in the years you mention, both were certainly huge. 

Oasis had the huge benefit of emerging in an era where alternative and guitar-based music was in the ascendancy - bands like Stones Roses, Nirvana, and even arguably U2, had paved the way for this to occur.  The media created a storm around a movement they labelled "Britpop" and Oasis could trade in that too. 

U2, by contrast, were not seen as part of any movement but a band who had made it on their own.  Of course, nothing exists in a bubble and U2 had emerged from post-punk and there were murmurs of their being an "anthemic rock band" or a "Christian rock band", but such labels didn't capture the imagination of the media or indeed the general public in the way "Britpop" did.  Guitar-based bands were largely ignored in the media in the 1980s in the UK.  Arguably the best British band of that era, The Smiths, barely got a mention outside the independent music press, despite their strident anti-establishment messages (just look at the album titles: "Meat is Murder", "The Queen is Dead", etc.).

Given these contexts, I'd say it was harder for U2 to achieve UK success in the 80s than it was for Oasis to do so in the 90s.  Success came quickly to Oasis, whilst U2 had to tour the Western world for years before "breaking through". 

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
  • Nashville, Montreal 1 & 2
« Reply #71 on: July 13, 2017, 05:25:47 AM »
U2 are better.

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #72 on: July 13, 2017, 08:33:11 AM »
I had never even heard Don't Look Back in Anger until I kept reading Oasis-related posts on this forum.

Offline lazyboy

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #73 on: July 13, 2017, 10:47:21 AM »
simply about the singalong factor

Exhibit A - You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Exhibit B - You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Exhibit C - You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

The latter just to drive the point home, that even THOSE 2, get massive sing alongs.

The location? Oh wait, it's Manchester.  ;D

Come on Jack, you're well wrong on this one!!

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #74 on: July 13, 2017, 11:21:18 AM »

I qualified with in Britain ages ago, my friend!!

You are gonna have to trust me!

I know oasis did nothing over in your part of the world....you may find it hard to believe just how big they were when they broke here - it was incredible.

Check out knebworth gigs for example.

What i am talking about is pint spilling, hands aloft, grown men hugging communal singalong stuff here and DLBIA in Britain was/is enormous in that respect with arguably the most well known/most rabble rousing chorus ever.

The NME think so at least: Their description of your boys the killers mr brightside is spot on too IMO.

oh mate i'm so sorry! i thought you meant everyone in the known universe! like angels in heaven are singing DLBIA to God upon high!

trust me i'm well aware of Knebworth and that 3% of the population tried for tickets. ive got the bootlegs and the Supersonic doc.

in Britain probably.