Author Topic: Guardian review of Twickenham 1  (Read 475 times)

Offline very good

• Party Girl/Boy
Guardian review of Twickenham 1
« on: July 09, 2017, 07:12:33 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Cracking little review from the only paper in the UK worth reading.  Can't wait for Paris.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
Re: Guardian review of Twickenham 1
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2017, 07:20:27 AM »
I love the fact that the journo who clearly has no idea about u2's new stuff manages to totally mix up the names of the last and mooted next album!

That in itself is sort of the problem u2 face - everyone loves the old stuff but the new stuff is just a footnote.

"The Little Things That Give You Away, from Songs of Innocence, the forthcoming, delayed follow-up to 2014’s Songs of Experience"
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 07:23:50 AM by an tha »

Offline very good

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2017, 07:23:41 AM »
Yeah I spotted that too - it's unusual for him to make mistakes like that to be fair, normally very clued up. 

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2017, 07:25:32 AM »
This again nails the 'problem' u2 face...

"It seems to be an article of faith within their ranks that they are not a heritage rock act – the kind of band who’ve come to an accommodation with their past, realised their greatest work is behind them and pragmatically opted to give the people what they want – even though they must know in their hearts that only the most die-hard fan buys tickets to see them play latterday material: you suspect that the proportion of the vast crowd in Twickenham with their fingers crossed for Get on Your Boots or The Miracle of Joey Ramone rather than New Years’ Day is pretty slender."

Offline very good

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2017, 07:49:09 AM »
Yeah I agree totally. Happens to most bands I think. This tour aside one of the things I've been impressed with is their desire to play at least 4 songs from every new album (more so in some cases). I can't stand SOI but respect them for playing most of it on tour. Which is why we can forgive this heritage tour (as a one off). The Stones setlist hasn't changed in 20 years.

Anyway enjoy the gig tonight - here's hoping for Acrobat in place of Elevation.

Offline Marwood

• Stateless
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2017, 08:01:32 AM »
No problem with him making a slight mix up with the name of an album yet to be released, he probably wrote that in the wee small hours after getting back from Twickenham to meet a deadline - have to say that review is pretty bang on, that was one of the best stadium shows I've been to.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2017, 08:09:46 AM »
Yeah I agree totally. Happens to most bands I think. This tour aside one of the things I've been impressed with is their desire to play at least 4 songs from every new album (more so in some cases). I can't stand SOI but respect them for playing most of it on tour. Which is why we can forgive this heritage tour (as a one off). The Stones setlist hasn't changed in 20 years.

Anyway enjoy the gig tonight - here's hoping for Acrobat in place of Elevation.

Even i can see why they are playing the obvious hits on this tour....

Acrobat tonight is nailed on.....in the same way it is nailed on i will be leaving the gig with Kelly Brook and Lucy Pinder!

Offline Dono

• Stateless
  • If I could, I would.....
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2017, 12:58:49 PM »
No problem with him making a slight mix up with the name of an album yet to be released, he probably wrote that in the wee small hours after getting back from Twickenham to meet a deadline - have to say that review is pretty bang on, that was one of the best stadium shows I've been to.

Article corrected!