Author Topic: Twickenham 1 Review  (Read 778 times)

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
Twickenham 1 Review
« on: July 10, 2017, 02:50:26 AM »
My wife , a friend and I arrived at approximately 6pm on Saturday, security was solid which was reassuring after all that's happened of late in our city. There was even a bar in the GA section (a first).

We got a great spot after moving forward right up to the B stage.

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I have to say the first 45 minutes of the show are the best. Seeing the band that close, playing without any visuals, it was all about the band. It was visceral and blood pumping and I hope u2 do more of this in the coming tour.

The Joshua tree is a masterclass of an album, but a front loaded one in terms of hit songs for the masses. The set and the crowd suffer from this a little but it was wonderful to hear all those old songs together as per the track list. The highlight for me was tripped through your wires. Bono can still play a great harmonica.

Onto the encore, some songs for the younger generation appeared( I'm 33 so getting on a little), Miss Sarajevo was thought provoking and poignant, the crowd pleasers of Vertigo and Elevation went down a storm.

Bono can still belt out better than most, when he sang "beautiful night / beautiful day" he sounded as good as I've ever heard him.

I'm a big fan of the little things and it was great to hear live. Ending with Noel and Don't look back in anger was a nice treat indeed.

How this band has so much energy at 57/56 is really impressive, they have no intention of ending any time soon from what I can see. Bono's hunger is all too evident, long may it continue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline riffraff

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • So, when does the SOE tour start?
Re: Twickenham 1 Review
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2017, 04:34:27 AM »
Looks like you had a GREAT spot there...good going! Thanks for the review. Great pics, too.

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2017, 04:37:22 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Looks like you had a GREAT spot there...good going! Thanks for the review. Great pics, too.

Yeah, gotta make the most of getting in! The crowd sucked though I must say! So subdued and a bit of a sausage fest.

Offline riffraff

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • So, when does the SOE tour start?
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2017, 04:38:02 AM »
A lot of casual fans, I'd imagine.

Offline indiansummer

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2017, 06:27:15 AM »
The atmosphere was amazing on night 1 I went to. Crowd were so up for it.  Apparently night 2 as well.

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2017, 06:32:11 AM »
The atmosphere was amazing on night 1 I went to. Crowd were so up for it.  Apparently night 2 as well.

Where were you situated?

Offline Kmama07

• Running to Stand Still
  • She is everywhere and no place
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2017, 08:03:45 AM »

Yeah, gotta make the most of getting in! The crowd sucked though I must say! So subdued and a bit of a sausage fest.
Haha. I'd say most U2 shows I've seen through the years have been more of a sausage fest than not. Especially in the "early days".
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 08:05:25 AM by Kmama07 »

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2017, 08:14:08 AM »

Haha. I'd say most U2 shows I've seen through the years have been more of a sausage fest than not. Especially in the "early days".

Big sausage fest! A guy told my wife to shut up too and to turn around. The next song that appeared was ultraviolet, devoted to womens rights. How Ironic. What a d*******. I went a little mad at him after the gig, rightly so.

Offline Kmama07

• Running to Stand Still
  • She is everywhere and no place
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2017, 08:16:44 AM »

Big sausage fest! A guy told my wife to shut up too and to turn around. The next song that appeared was ultraviolet, devoted to womens rights. How Ironic. What a d*******. I went a little mad at him after the gig, rightly so.
Yes. And it's also sad that grown men/women act that way towards each other anywhere, let alone at a U2 show. I hope he felt like the d*****bag he was after the fact.

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2017, 08:17:56 AM »

Yes. And it's also sad that grown men/women act that way towards each other anywhere, let alone at a U2 show. I hope he felt like the d*****bag he was after the fact.

Yeah I think he did.

Offline MadRob360

• Refugee
  • Jealousy Is A Disease
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2017, 08:42:01 AM »
I did both nights, Both were brilliant! Band in great form and the energy was amazing, No signs of wavering passion or anything, It was a joy to be there. Only *minor* thing i would say is the show ended a bit abruptly imo last night obviously due to a strict curfew, But i'm definately looking forward to Dublin now it's going to be special!

Offline SDD3000

• Stateless
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2017, 12:07:08 PM »

That's me far right. There was no signs of subdue from where I was. That was probably the best show ive been to. Utterly amazing. Been that close you could see the band really getting off on it and were really surprised. When they played Exit it was like been at Metallica. Guy Oseary came out and spoke to us just before The Waterboys came on. We ended up in one of his Instagram videos too. I was expecting a band going through the motions but I got something completely different. Even Larry was constantly smiling throughout. A U2 highlight for me.

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2017, 12:25:08 PM »

That's me far right. There was no signs of subdue from where I was. That was probably the best show ive been to. Utterly amazing. Been that close you could see the band really getting off on it and were really surprised. When they played Exit it was like been at Metallica. Guy Oseary came out and spoke to us just before The Waterboys came on. We ended up in one of his Instagram videos too. I was expecting a band going through the motions but I got something completely different. Even Larry was constantly smiling throughout. A U2 highlight for me.

Wish I had been standing next to you! It was great, went by in a flash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Gavin82

• Refugee
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2017, 12:26:07 PM »
Just been watching some vids from Sat MOTD,SBS,RHMT,IGC all 1s too watch

Offline indiansummer

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2017, 02:00:25 PM »

Where were you situated?
We were about 10 rows back from Bonon's mic at the tree stage