Author Topic: Rock Bands as Museum Exhibits  (Read 84 times)

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
Rock Bands as Museum Exhibits
« on: July 10, 2017, 07:05:50 AM »
I caught the Rolling Stones' "Exhibitionism" in Chicago this weekend.  Cool show--lots of guitars and costumes, some super-cool models of their concert stages over the years, and a bunch of other stuff.  Though I will say, it paled in comparison to the "David Bowie Is" exhibit from a few years ago.  That was kind of the best imaginable exhibit--3.5 hours spent walking through, and I STILL felt like I skimmed past some stuff.

There's also the Pink Floyd "Their Mortal Remains" exhibit in London now, which I'm hoping tours and comes to Chicago soon.

Now, I did see the U2 exhibit at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame maybe a dozen or so years ago, which was super cool, but this trend of touring exhibits for big, iconic artists makes me think we'll probably see U2 do a full-on museum piece in the next 10-15 years.  I'd love to see stage models for Zoo TV and Popmart, at least.  360 and TJT2017 would also be cool.

Thoughts on this?  Anyone seen any other rock exhibits that impressed them?

Offline imaginary friend

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • take the long way home
Re: Rock Bands as Museum Exhibits
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2017, 09:11:32 AM »
Never really thought about it...but The Who and Madonna would make for incredible exhibitions. Right from the beginning,
 The Who filmed so much of what they did, and Madonna...well, she's Madonna. Crappy music for the most part, but awesome visual presentations throughout her career.