Author Topic: The An Tha Review - Twickenham Sunday 9th July 2017  (Read 2982 times)

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
The An Tha Review - Twickenham Sunday 9th July 2017
« on: July 10, 2017, 11:01:05 AM »
“I’m done with seeing U2 in a stadium”…………. “360 was the first time I have ever left a U2 concert disappointed and it was as much down to the show being in a stadium as anything else”………… “They don’t have the power they once had to make it work in stadiums”………… “The Joshua Tree is an album I am meh about and a show in a stadium where they play TJT and the ‘hits’ isn’t one I really want to see”……

The above represents pretty much the overall summary of the feelings yours truly has expressed on our forum in relation to U2 shows in stadiums generally and of course in relation to the bands current jaunt around the “Enormodomes” of North America and now of course Europe and specifically Old London Town.

So after a few months of “Will I or Won’t I” and believe me even though the smart money was probably on “Will” I really was firmly a “Won’t” as little as less than 24 hours before U2 took the stage on Sunday 9th July 2017 for their 2nd show at Twickenham Stadium of The Joshua Tree 2017 Tour……..It was actually an hour or two after show number 1 went into the books when I finally decided to take the plunge and grab a ticket off the Rugby Football Union website to go and see the show. £78.25 for a standing ticket in a stadium (bearing in mind my comments at the start of this review) going to show that loyalty/the old flame that is often the difficult relationship I have with these men who have provided the soundtrack to great chunks of my life is still strong enough to draw me in when all is said and done……So off I went……

Walked into the stadium just as Noel Gallagher and his band were starting – They played a very tight and really good sounding set, it is worth noting of course that Noel is well versed in playing these huge venues, and it was a little strange seeing him play to a half full stadium and a largely disinterested crowd. To his credit through a combination of the quality of the show he and his band put on and the familiarity of the Oasis numbers in particular he slowly won over more of the crowd as it slowly filled during his set…he is a formidable live performer and fronts a tight powerful band. I have never been a big fan but they won me over here.

So onto U2 and somewhere around 815 ish The Waterboys The Whole of The Moon starts booming out over the PA and a few minutes later here I am watching U2 in a stadium despite my “never again” proclamations!

As is of course common knowledge by now the band come out on “The Tree” stage away from the main stage and kick off with Sunday Bloody Sunday – no screen, no fancy lighting just the band sort of in the middle of the floor surrounded by a lively crowd….My own spot for the record was a small distance in front of the mixing desk slightly to the right – the floor was pretty roomy, so much so that I was able to go to the bars right at the back of the floor twice and back in the few minutes before the show started without any trouble at all and embark on a sadly fruitless attempt to find and hook up with atu2 forum legend “il_capo” who’s text messages to me describing where he was on the floor were unfortunately not enough for me to have the great pleasure of joining him……….I literally made it to right down the side of the stage at the extreme right hand side under the “scrolling text” on the screen that was up in the minutes leading up to show time and back to my exact spot without bumping into anyone, getting in anyone’s way etc….the floor was very roomy indeed and easy to navigate which is nice. I am sure it might feel a bit packed right down at the front but there really was loads of room and no surge or crush even when the show started – nice!

I am no expert on concert sound or some sort of audiophile but the sound during SBS sounded a little “muddy” to me and I am quite sure Edge flubbed a few notes….what was noticeable straight away was Bono’s vocals had the “On Helium” sound to them again which I and others had mentioned from the I&E shows – again I am no expert but he does seem to be mixed with lots of what I would call “treble” in the old days of sound equalisers – it comes and goes during show (more on that for those who haven’t lost the will to live and are still reading later)…………The performance of SBS is OK though and whilst I wouldn’t call it the sound of a band coming out breathing fire it is urgent enough and goes down very well with the people surrounding the “tree stage” although even the relatively short distance to where we are sees lots of people just standing quite still mixed with people more into it – this is very much the nature of shows in these huge venues and I think too much is made about “crowd reaction” anyway.

Next up of course we have New Years Day – again for me the sound wasn’t the best, to my ears there was a problem with “separation” and it was muddy – Bono was particularly “heliumed” (is that a word?, it is now…add it to the dictionary!) but it was an energetic performance with the “So we’re told that this is the golden age” verse added which is a reasonably rare (ish) touch……

Bad followed – I am a fan of this song and it is always a highlight for me – this performance was just OK though, I don’t know if it was just too early in the show and it suffered from that placement and the daylight but it wasn’t the high emotional peak it often is for me……….Pride was up next a song that for me was reborn on the I&E tour after some pretty lacklustre performances down the years – it was OK here but I wouldn’t have said it soared like it did on I&E….So far so OK if not great.

So the 4 songs on the tree stage with no bells and whistles were over and it was time for the transition to the main stage and of course time for the 11 tracks that make up U2’s most well-known album and the 11 tracks that are of course the centrepiece of the show…..Now I know I am quite vocal (I know it is hard to believe isn’t it, me being vocal) about how “meh” I am about “Streets” and how adored it is within our community and with that in mind I can already imagine the collective “Yeah rights” and “Whatevers” that will follow what I am about to write – but Where The Streets Have No Name has in my honest opinion and I watched and listened it intently last night lost its lustre live…….The Red screen which there has been a lot of talk about in regards to how would it work in the what was effectively daylight shone brightly enough – I am sure it would look more dramatic in the dark and that added drama I imagine would help, but honestly it was fine to me……..what followed musically though was to me quite flat – don’t get me wrong it wasn’t bad, but it didn’t soar and the crowd after the first few rows were not going crazy by any stretch of the imagination even during the fabled opening. I like to think that I can judge songs fairly just on a performance level  even if I do not especially like them and this was OK, no more no less in my eyes.

The accompanying video was to me terribly dull too – yes the screen resolution was impressive but the visuals here added the square root of nothing to me.

I Still Haven’t Found What I ‘m Looking for is another song I have never really enjoyed much – I hated the singalong version that has been in use in recent times – I REALLY LIKED IT HERE! FIRST SURPRISE AND FIRST REAL HIGHLIGHT FOR ME OF THE NIGHT…..Sounded meatier than on record and I enjoyed it.

With or Without You is another song that is usually seen much later down the track in a gig, it was OK here though – I thought Bono was loading up for a “Shine Like Stars” which an appearance of is arguably the barometer of how well things are going but it felt to me as if it was teased but then though “no”….. Another passable enough performance again marred a little for me by muddy sound.

Bullet the Blue Sky if I am honest passed me by a little – I am sitting here writing this now trying to recall it and I can’t, that in itself says enough.

Running To Standstill is a song I have always liked – I really wish they would use the dramatic and chilling Zoo Tour arrangement (Oh look an tha hankering for the 90’s, there is a shock!) but I just think it would work better – this arrangement in use here makes the song sound a bit MOR….Ah come on I had to get the phrase in didn’t I!? I could picture Coldplay knocking this one out and that isn’t a good thing in my book.

Red Hill Mining Town as a song is just one I have never been able to understand the fuss for, but my write up here is all about what I witnessed inside Twickenham Stadium last night – after witnessing it live I am no closer to understanding the fuss and for reasons I can’t really explain the accompanying Salvation Army video just annoyed me…

So here we are entering the home stretch of TJT and things are just starting to flag a little for me – to the point where as someone who is not a big phone user at all when at gigs etc I found myself engaging in some text chat with a friend……………….THEN ENTERED SURPRISE NUMBER 2, CLOSELY FOLLOWED BY NUMBER 3.

In God’s Country and Trip Through Your Wires are songs that would never be appearing on any lists of my favourite U2 songs – but I really enjoyed the performances of both here and I loved the video that accompanied “Trip” the bikini clad lasso whirling girl was not the main attraction here either (as deep as a puddle an tha would be bound to like that I hear you say) no, siree – I was absolutely fascinated by the painting of the American Flag and watched it intently for most of the song – a song that I thought the band did a good job of performing.

One Tree Hill was OK but again some really muddy sound spoiled it a little for me.

Now it has been pretty much universally accepted that Exit is one of the real highlights of the set – Bono going “into character” and I had high expectations for this performance especially as it is a song I like anyway…probably my favourite on the album – I am not going to say I was disappointed but it certainly didn’t blow me away – it is worth noting that in the “Dark v Light” stakes when it comes to U2’s music I am very much on the “Dark” horse – this just felt a little forced to me and for me the Trump stuff at the start does not resonate –I found the performance of the song alright but not the mind blowing thing some had built it up as – “Mothers” closed the JT part of the set of course in decent enough fashion (I am a fan of the song) it was performed decently enough here.

So that was The Joshua Tree played in full – I’d stood in the middle of a stadium with around 60,000 other people and witnessed U2 play their most famous album straight….Now for the encore.

Miss Sarajevo is one of U2’s 90’s songs that I can take or leave – I understand what they are trying to do with it and the associated narrative but it just does not work in how it is presented as far as I am concerned and the canned Pavarotti just grated with me.

Now we are getting into the interesting part (is anyone still reading?!)………..OK for those of you who are gluttons for punishment or for who it just takes a long time to get to sleep HERE WE GO!! THE UNHOLY TRINITY FOR AN THA – BEAUTIFUL DAY, ELEVATION AND VERTIGO.

My  thoughts on these songs are well documented around these parts and provide some nice running jokes – I have laughed many times over the last few days or so as people have posted jokes and banter relating to Elevation in particular – Is there an element of tongue in cheek when I talk about how much I dislike these songs? Honestly? – NO NOT REALLY! I really can’t stand them……However I appear to be very much in the minority because last night Twickenham came alive more so than it did at any point during these three songs – the people in the seats were up, the people around me were energised like frankly they hadn’t been all night and suddenly what was a pretty roomy part of the floor was becoming fuller and fuller with people dancing, jumping up and down and singing along loudly………..The females of the species especially seemed to quadruple in number around us (and that wasn't down to my animal magnetism I can assure you of that) and as I stood watching the screen it showed people in the front few rows going nuts.

Now I am of the view that just because people go nuts for a song/songs it does not mean the gig is suddenly any better – I have been to gigs that rank up  as among the best I have ever seen where due to the sort of music being presented the audience have stood like statues, but they have stood like statues totally invested and engaged in what they are watching and you can feel the spell that the music is casting over them……Now it is very hard in such a vast setting as the one u2 performed in last night  to provide a totally “reliable” commentary on the vibe in the place, it can differ from one area of the enormous space to another….I can easily see how someone who spent all night in the first 5 rows would have a different perspective to the vibe and the show to someone who stood in the acres of space at the back of the floor, or someone who was up in the gods etc etc etc. BUT EVEN A CYNICAL OLD CURMUDGEON LIKE ME HAS TO ADMIT THAT PRETTY MUCH THE WHOLE PLACE WAS “GOING OFF” FOR THE WHOLE OF THIS 3 SONG SPRINT

It is I think fair to say that the “overall” (taking into account what I said about how hard it is to speak for a whole stadium due to the sheer size) vibe had the usual peaks and troughs during the show but was never truly universally on fire so to speak until these 3 songs…… It was quite a sight to behold, the music itself however for me was just “Meh” I have no idea what the opening to Beautiful Day was all about and I have even less than no idea what the weird “distorted” voices part was all about – I referred to the performance as borderline Karaoke last night and I stand by that…

EL-E-VA-SHUN – OK, OK it rocked the house it really did, but I am sorry to report, folks that I just couldn’t bring myself to fist pump as discussed! SORRY……Maybe I should see it for what it is a playful, stomper – but I can’t help it, I just don’t like it…Twickenham loved it and it provided arguably the most “personal” moment of the show when the camera showed Larry really close up on the screen and he smiled and waved into it for a good few seconds (looking a little sheepish but seeming to genuinely enjoy it in his understated way) it made this miserable old man smile too to be fair – a nice moment.

Vertigo – again similar to the above two, Twickenham loved it, An Tha less so…..The band seemed to struggle with this too although I doubt many noticed as they were busy singing and dancing but it had timing issues and bad sound “clashing” to my ears – something that occurred a few times during the night…I know U2 are effectively a 3 piece and it is impossible to replicate their layered sounds with just the 3 playing on stage so they rely on lots of backing tracks, pre recorded stuff, effects, augmentation etc. to fill out the sound – I felt at times last night that there seemed to be sync issues with this and them/a few times parts seemed to change suddenly and in an unnatural way….it might sound “nit picky” but I definitely noticed it a few times….I am no expert as I say but I guess it could be mixing/timing issues.

Mysterious Ways and Ultraviolet saw the energy levels in the crowd drop again and I thought the new “mix” of MW was a bit of a mess, I’ve seen them play both songs a lot better – I did enjoy the visuals during MW with the young lady who was brought up on stage, UV felt a bit tentative to me.

The show ended with One – One remains a conundrum to me, it is undeniably a good song but I always feel a little underwhelmed by it live and it was no different here.

And that folks was the end of the show.

There was Good, Bad and Indifferent  - Stadium shows are for me always going to fall short of arena ones…I enjoyed the I&E shows I saw at the O2 more than the show last night….I went out and bought tickets for subsequent nights after seeing the show in the O2 – If there was another night after last night I would not have done the same and bought tickets.

Some of the highlights last night were ones I did not expect and some of the lowlights surprised me.

Overall I thought it was a mixed bag – but I can also see how maybe a less jaded/cynical fan than me may have thought it was great.

I sent Il_capo a text after the show simply saying “Marks out of 10?” he replied “8, you?” My answer was 6.5.

So I am going to say it now that I will probably on balance not go and see this band in a stadium again....and now I have said that I dare say we can all now look forward to my long and dull review of the zoo.com 30th anniversary of Achtung Baby show from Wembley Stadium which I will purchase my ticket for the night before the show.

Oh and by the way my aforementioned text exchange with il_capo where we tried to meet in the stadium revealed an interesting fashion fact about the man......

Thanks for reading (The very small number of you who didn’t give up form boredom anyway!)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 11:47:57 AM by an tha »

Offline Gavin82

• Refugee
Re: The An Tha Review - Twickenham Sunday 9th July 2017
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2017, 11:19:03 AM »
Good honest review it was my 1st Stadium show EVER for U2 after seeing the Arena shows good few times  & theres a mega differenc with a few things roll on the nx Arena run i say...!!!!! The biggest thing was watching it in day light it just feels totally different im not fust on Twick as a Stadium either each too there own tho

Offline the_chief

• Refugee
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2017, 12:12:52 PM »
Reading that, I just have one question....

Do you actually like U2?

The only thing I got from that is that there is no song you actually seem to like :D
Do agree about Streets though. The key change and the sound of Edge's guitar spoils it from what it used to be

Also, why are you going to gigs to analyse them? If it's sh**, it's sh**. If it's good, it's good.
I can't pay money for a ticket and then stand there for two hours, thinking about things like that
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 12:14:48 PM by the_chief »

Offline ciaz

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2017, 12:21:30 PM »
Thank you for the effort and honesty in this review, an tha.

I went to both Twickenham shows (for show 2 I snagged 35 pound "restricted view" seats that were bizarrely amazing!). Although I don't share your level of being underwhelmed, I do think the show lacked "magic".

My thoughts:

- the sound was definitely "muddy" and "clashy" a lot throughout the set.

- the problem with seeing u2 in a stadium is as you describe - often the songs that get the crowd going are the least interesting songs.

- no performance wasastonishing , but RTSS # beautiful day, exit, mothers of the disappeared and exit were allgreat .

- the light in the show severely hampered "drama".

Overall though I enjoyed it. Took my other half who has never been to u2 before and she loved it.
Solid , if unspectacular show.

7/10.

I and E was their best tour in the last twenty years, imo

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2017, 12:23:00 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Do you actually like U2?

The only thing I got from that is that there is no song you actually seem to like :D
Do agree about Streets though. The key change and the sound of Edge's guitar spoils it from what it used to be

Also, why are you going to gigs to analyse them? If it's sh**, it's sh**. If it's good, it's good.
I can't pay money for a ticket and then stand there for two hours, thinking about things like that

You aren't capable of attending something and then providing a detailed description of what you thought of it?

I bet your 'what i did on my summer holidays' essay at junior school was a real gold star job!

Offline the_chief

• Refugee
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2017, 12:34:58 PM »

Do you actually like U2?

You aren't capable of attending something and then providing a detailed description of what you thought of it?

I bet your 'what i did on my summer holidays' essay at junior school was a real gold star job!

So basically I'm not having what you're saying and you decide to start patronising me? If only you knew.... :D

I can provide details. Believe it or not, you're not the only one who can. That might come as a blow to you. Sorry if it does.
I just don't understand why you go to gig, by band who you just said you don't like half the songs they're playing, and stand there picking faults with everything...

You would have been better off spending the money on something else tbh but, fair enough.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2017, 12:40:08 PM »

Do you actually like U2?

So basically I'm not having what you're saying and you decide to start patronising me? If only you knew.... :D

I can provide details. Believe it or not, you're not the only one who can. That might come as a blow to you. Sorry if it does.
I just don't understand why you go to gig, by band who you just said you don't like half the songs they're playing, and stand there picking faults with everything...

You would have been better off spending the money on something else tbh but, fair enough.

I wasn't patronising you at all....i thought we were sharing a bit of banter but now i read your reply you do seem a little tetchy/hot under the collar about my writing/my choosing to write.

That is your right but if you are looking for a row then you are in the wrong place you are free to comment how you like about what i have written in the same way i was free to write it.

I wrote it to share and to generate discussion....i am sure we can continue it in a cordial manner

Offline the_chief

• Refugee
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2017, 12:45:59 PM »

Do you actually like U2?

I wasn't patronising you at all....i thought we were sharing a bit of banter but now i read your reply you do seem a little tetchy/hot under the collar about my writing/my choosing to write.

That is your right but if you are looking for a row then you are in the wrong place you are free to comment how you like about what i have written in the same way i was free to write it.

I wrote it to share and to generate discussion....i am sure we can continue it in a cordial manner

Not looking for any row. You've as much right to say, do or write anything you want. Doesn't bother me in the slightest.

I just find it strange you paid money for a ticket, for a gig in which the setlist was filled with songs you don't like and seem to just want to pick faults.
The sound thing you mentioned, that's a very common problem in stadiums all over the world. Any stadium gig we go to we just have to accept that the sound is not going to be as good as it is in a theatre.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2017, 12:48:58 PM »

Do you actually like U2?

Not looking for any row. You've as much right to say, do or write anything you want. Doesn't bother me in the slightest.

I just find it strange you paid money for a ticket, for a gig in which the setlist was filled with songs you don't like and seem to just want to pick faults.
The sound thing you mentioned, that's a very common problem in stadiums all over the world. Any stadium gig we go to we just have to accept that the sound is not going to be as good as it is in a theatre.

By way of comparison Noel Gallaghers sound was pretty much crystal/didn't suffer with the clashing/timing issues mentioned and Noel did not sound like he was on helium for large parts of the gig.

Same stadium, same night.

Offline the_chief

• Refugee
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2017, 12:54:40 PM »

Do you actually like U2?

By way of comparison Noel Gallaghers sound was pretty much crystal/didn't suffer with the clashing/timing issues mentioned and Noel did not sound like he was on helium for large parts of the gig.

I'm not understanding the helium thing at all tbh.

Noel....I saw him in a stadium supporting the RHCP some years ago. Their sound was shocking but, Noel's was spot on.
Again though, it wasn't near the same quality of sound you get indoors though.

Or maybe U2's sound guy is rubbish...I have only seen them in one stadium and that is famous for it's dreadful sound. Not counting Lansdowne Road as I was too young to know if sound was crap or not

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2017, 01:06:22 PM »

Do you actually like U2?

I'm not understanding the helium thing at all tbh.

Noel....I saw him in a stadium supporting the RHCP some years ago. Their sound was shocking but, Noel's was spot on.
Again though, it wasn't near the same quality of sound you get indoors though.

Or maybe U2's sound guy is rubbish...I have only seen them in one stadium and that is famous for it's dreadful sound. Not counting Lansdowne Road as I was too young to know if sound was crap or not

The sound thing was to me an irritation - i am old now so i go to listen more and when the sound suffers with things like poor separation/sections descending into basically white noise/timing is off i notice it and it has an affect on my enjoyment...

Spot on you saying you'll never get same sound as in a theatre which is one of the reasons i have been saying i wasn't going to see u2 in a stadium anymore.....old habits die hard though and i didn't hate the gig by the way i really didn't - i hold u2 to very high, maybe impossibly high standards but there you go it is what it is and I am glad i went.

Oh and Lansdowne Road always had crap sound!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 01:09:41 PM by an tha »

Offline MPare1966

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Trying to throw my arms around the world.
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2017, 01:09:21 PM »
An honest review Mr. Tha, thanks for sharing. Overall, I'm with you on the stadium/arena issue. My best U2 experiences all have been in arenas (ZooTV, TUF and I&E being my Top3 all time). I saw Original JT, ZooTVOB, Pop, 360 and JT2017 in stadiums, and most have been OK experiences. But as you say, there's too many variables in a huge stadium to properly provide a reliable commentary...

Anyways, it's a little funny (or ironic, should I say) to read that Elavation provided for one of the few nice moments in the show for you, of all people.  ;D

For the few who haven't seen said moment with Larry, here it is from Toronto

Offline Kmama07

• Running to Stand Still
  • She is everywhere and no place
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2017, 01:14:36 PM »
An honest review Mr. Tha, thanks for sharing. Overall, I'm with you on the stadium/arena issue. My best U2 experiences all have been in arenas (ZooTV, TUF and I&E being my Top3 all time). I saw Original JT, ZooTVOB, Pop, 360 and JT2017 in stadiums, and most have been OK experiences. But as you say, there's too many variables in a huge stadium to properly provide a reliable commentary...

Anyways, it's a little funny (or ironic, should I say) to read that Elavation provided for one of the few nice moments in the show for you, of all people.  ;D

All of this!!!
Also, I quite enjoy your writing

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2017, 01:17:16 PM »

Ha yeah still makes me smile seeing it again...it is just the most 'un larry' thing which makes it!

Offline lorijane

• Airborne Ranger
  • We picked the right band
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2017, 01:19:47 PM »
Thanks, an tha! Glad you went! I think if you would've just told il capo you were wearing a mole in a hole shirt, you guys could've found each other easily. Even if it wasn't a magical experience, who knows how many more concerts the band or any of us have left in us, might as well smell the roses while you can.