Author Topic: The An Tha Review - Twickenham Sunday 9th July 2017  (Read 2993 times)

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
Re: The An Tha Review - Twickenham Sunday 9th July 2017
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2017, 01:21:52 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Thanks, an tha! Glad you went! I think if you would've just told il capo you were wearing a mole in a hole shirt, you guys could've found each other easily. Even if it wasn't a magical experience, who knows how many more concerts the band or any of us have left in us, might as well smell the roses while you can.

I even had woooooooohooooo in gold sparkly letters on the back and it still wasn't enough!!

Offline Kmama07

• Running to Stand Still
  • She is everywhere and no place
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2017, 01:24:50 PM »
Thanks, an tha! Glad you went! I think if you would've just told il capo you were wearing a mole in a hole shirt, you guys could've found each other easily. Even if it wasn't a magical experience, who knows how many more concerts the band or any of us have left in us, might as well smell the roses while you can.

I even had woooooooohooooo in gold sparkly letters on the back and it still wasn't enough!!
You need to make a shirt like the old "Frankie Says" shirts...
An Tha says:
WOOOOOOOHOOOOOOO!
😍

Offline kps88

• Babyface
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2017, 01:34:51 PM »
I had a friend who was up in the heavens and he said the sound was terrible throughout. I was down on the floor about 10 rows back and thought it sounded surprisingly good for the most part. Believe it or not, it sounded better than when I saw Arcade Fire play a 1000 capacity venue last week. Nothing can beat the sound quality of them playing the O2 though; that was perfect.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2017, 01:37:00 PM »

You need to make a shirt like the old "Frankie Says" shirts...
An Tha says:
WOOOOOOOHOOOOOOO!
😍

A great idea....

An Tha says: 'You elevate my soul'

An Tha says: 'Be lit up like a cigar'.....

Offline lazyboy

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2017, 01:42:43 PM »
It does seem even surprising that you have it 6.5 considering you don't like or even hate(the unholy trinity!) most of the set list which you would have known they were gonna play!

Offline lorijane

• Airborne Ranger
  • We picked the right band
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2017, 01:54:44 PM »

You did what you could.

And 6.5 seems fair, and you got out of the house. :)

Offline indiansummer

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2017, 01:57:25 PM »
Energy from the crowd was excellent on night 1.  I was obviously lucky that I was beside fans who come to enjoy the show regardless. I can be critical too but the current show is great not their best in terms of all other tours but certainly not worthy of the dissection in this review. As someone else said, reading through it, it made me wonder if you actually like the band.

Having read around 50 or 60 online reviews now for London 1 and 2, the overwhelming consensus is that the band are on fine form and the show is great.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2017, 01:57:36 PM »

You did what you could.

And 6.5 seems fair, and you got out of the house. :)

The nurses won't let me out again now for ages though!

Offline olimar

• Stateless
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2017, 02:09:59 PM »

...Thanks for reading (The very small number of you who didn’t give up form boredom anyway!)

Brief comments...
Was in the seats in lower level. Starting off with those first 4 songs is pretty much unprecedented, but from my perspective of both those in the surrounding seats and the mass surrounding the stage, the atmosphere completely lifted off. It felt like there was absolutely no let off, full pelt. Ironically, the only other time I can think of U2 having such a powerful opening to a set was probably the last time they were at Twickenham during the Vertigo tour, when they essentially compensated for the daylight start by doing a series of early numbers (plus Vertigo) to kick off.

I thought it had similar lift off again for that encore triplet of songs. As much as seeing the setlist left me uninspired, its impossible not to get carried away with the energy and atmosphere through that segment.

Id totally agree that the highlights were probably not where I expected. Bullet the Blue Sky is such a standard, but I though the visual treatment of it was just outstanding and was so impressive. Equally, whilst I was intrigued to see Exit, it had a far bigger impression on me than I expected- really liked the way Bono played to the camera and the way it was captured on screen too. Loved In Gods Country.

I felt slightly underwhelmed at the end, as I had an expectation of a final song to be played- either Little Things (chance to see something new) or maybe a repeat of Noel Gallaghers guest appearance, so it felt slightly flat to discover that, actually, One had  been the last track. As it is, Noel did an excellent turn with I still havent found at the O2, so I could take comfort in that probably being better anyway.

Offline olimar

• Stateless
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2017, 02:20:50 PM »
Energy from the crowd was excellent on night 1.  I was obviously lucky that I was beside fans who come to enjoy the show regardless. I can be critical too but the current show is great not their best in terms of all other tours but certainly not worthy of the dissection in this review. As someone else said, reading through it, it made me wonder if you actually like the band.

Having read around 50 or 60 online reviews now for London 1 and 2, the overwhelming consensus is that the band are on fine form and the show is great.

I kept thinking to myself that for anybody who had never seen them before, Id imagine it left a huge impression. As much as the setlist is predictable for those who have seen them plenty of times before, it is a non-stop barrage of hits (JT part aside, but you presume that the majority of newcomers are probably those who loved the Joshua Tree).
Kid behind me was there with his dad, who read out the previous nights setlist to him about an hour beforehand. Kid "Are they going to play ALL of them?!", "Yeah", "what a setlist!".

When I read they had added Vertigo to the setlist, I was disappointed at the setlist further gravitating towards the predictable, but when it came to it, I was totally carried away by the energy and enjoyment of everyone else around me. And after all, this is U2 playing their big hits that we know so well; ultimately, whats not to like?

Obviously this is the kind of show that Heritage acts trade off year after year, but I wonder that in U2s case, it may genuinely attract some old fans back to their new music- or at least to their next tour.

Offline renno

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2017, 02:27:35 PM »
Intresting review, did you read mine? Which has its own thread. Totally opposite to yours :-)

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion mate even if I don't agree with  a lot of it

Just reading the beginning paragraphs and I could be completely wrong but you didn't seem in a good place regarding u2 before you went to the gig and that it seems you we're going to pick faults and it didn't matter what they did something wouldn't be right for you. I don't mean that in an offensive way at all it's just the jist I got before you got to the gig, like I said I could be completely wrong.

I wouldn't say it was a bad review, just an ok review. Ok to bad reviews seem to be really hard to find for this tour. Every review I've read has been 4 stars or above. For the twickenham shows I've only seen 5 star reviews.

I do agree about beautiful day, elevation and vertigo. The place went off. It's not just a stadium thing either. On the i&e tour it was exactly the same. Elevation was superb on the i&e tour. These songs are loved by casual fans and a lot of hardcore fans aswell.

You obviously care about u2 and you will be back mate. They will always drag you back in :-)

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
  • I know that this is not goodbye, my forum friends!
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2017, 02:31:54 PM »
all I want to know is...what interesting fashion fact was revealed about our friend il_capo?

(thanks for the review, an tha...)

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2017, 02:34:23 PM »
Intresting review, did you read mine? Which has its own thread. Totally opposite to yours :-)

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion mate even if I don't agree with  a lot of it

Just reading the beginning paragraphs and I could be completely wrong but you didn't seem in a good place regarding u2 before you went to the gig and that it seems you we're going to pick faults and it didn't matter what they did something wouldn't be right for you. I don't mean that in an offensive way at all it's just the jist I got before you got to the gig, like I said I could be completely wrong.

I wouldn't say it was a bad review, just an ok review. Ok to bad reviews seem to be really hard to find for this tour. Every review I've read has been 4 stars or above. For the twickenham shows I've only seen 5 star reviews.

I do agree about beautiful day, elevation and vertigo. The place went off. It's not just a stadium thing either. On the i&e tour it was exactly the same. Elevation was superb on the i&e tour. These songs are loved by casual fans and a lot of hardcore fans aswell.

You obviously care about u2 and you will be back mate. They will always drag you back in :-)

I am heading off to read yours now....

The show wasn't bad to me it was OK, no more, no less.

Offline olimar

• Stateless
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2017, 02:37:48 PM »
Two more things-
1.) Noel Gallagher was possibly the perfect choice of support act. Its very very rare that a support act draws such a strong, positive reaction from someone elses crowd. I saw Chilli Peppers support U2 at Slane, so I guess that compares...
2.) 20 years ago, the sound quality in stadiums might well have been patchy, but with the extent of technology, money and experience U2 are throwing at this, Im not sure any of us are really able to stand there are say "hmm, the sounds a bit ropey here" with any actual weight of knowledge.
Id imagine if you asked a sound engineer, he would probably say that they can get the sound right in most scenarios these days.

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
  • Nashville, Montreal 1 & 2
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2017, 02:38:07 PM »
Was an Tha wearing a black dark overcoat? I saw someone that looked like the Walker from the streets walking video down by the soundboard. Looked like a drifter.