Author Topic: The An Tha Review - Twickenham Sunday 9th July 2017  (Read 2994 times)

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
Re: The An Tha Review - Twickenham Sunday 9th July 2017
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2017, 02:41:17 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
all I want to know is...what interesting fashion fact was revealed about our friend il_capo?

(thanks for the review, an tha...)

I am going to have to leave the reveal of that to the great man himself....

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
  • Nashville, Montreal 1 & 2
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2017, 02:43:48 PM »
all I want to know is...what interesting fashion fact was revealed about our friend il_capo?

Justin Bieber?

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
  • I know that this is not goodbye, my forum friends!
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2017, 02:46:35 PM »

ah, come on! Don't be a tease...

Offline Ultrafly

• Stateless
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2017, 02:55:22 PM »
Night #1 was good, but I think we were in the wrong part of the crowd. I'd give it a 7/10.

Night #2 was a less interesting set list with very few surprises, but the crowd were burningly keen. 8.5/10

Offline UnknownCaller98

• Numb
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2017, 03:08:21 PM »
So it's not just me who always notices that Bono sounds like he's on helium...

Very noticeable first 2 songs but then disappeared and reappeared sporadically throughout the show. Same thing on night 1. However unlike most concerts I've been to I could actually hear the bass well this time.

Online aviastar

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Feel like trash...you make me feel clean
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2017, 03:30:28 PM »
Appreciate (if I don't always agree with) your perspective, An Tha.

I thought sound at Chicago/Soldier Field was pretty good and we were a good distance away (I had seats this time).  We are going to see them again where I live in Kansas City, Missouri in September and I'll listen more closely for muddy sound (i'll be in GA this time).  Perhaps it's because when I go to a stadium show, I get soaked in with the energy of being in a large crowd.  I will agree that I+E in an arena was amazing sound!

I am not a huge fan of Elevation or Vertigo either for that matter, but I tend to enjoy them live "in the moment" when a crowd of people gets into it.  Listening to them at home on my stereo and I'm more inclined to focus on some of the crappy lyrics.

I was lucky in that they played ASOH at the show I attended...that, to me, was worth the price of admission.  I also thought Pride, BTBS, and Streets had a lot of life to them but it was dark in Chicago by the time the TJT sequence started so that added to some of the drama.

As for the helium bit, I have been harping a bit on Bono's voice this tour.  For me, it just seems like he talks through the lines sometimes. If his voice is tinny or higher, I guess I just chalk it up to the fact that they might be adding a ton of vocal FX/processing into the mix to boost it.

Offline indiansummer

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2017, 03:30:53 PM »
Energy from the crowd was excellent on night 1.  I was obviously lucky that I was beside fans who come to enjoy the show regardless. I can be critical too but the current show is great not their best in terms of all other tours but certainly not worthy of the dissection in this review. As someone else said, reading through it, it made me wonder if you actually like the band.

Having read around 50 or 60 online reviews now for London 1 and 2, the overwhelming consensus is that the band are on fine form and the show is great.

I kept thinking to myself that for anybody who had never seen them before, Id imagine it left a huge impression. As much as the setlist is predictable for those who have seen them plenty of times before, it is a non-stop barrage of hits (JT part aside, but you presume that the majority of newcomers are probably those who loved the Joshua Tree).
Kid behind me was there with his dad, who read out the previous nights setlist to him about an hour beforehand. Kid "Are they going to play ALL of them?!", "Yeah", "what a setlist!".

When I read they had added Vertigo to the setlist, I was disappointed at the setlist further gravitating towards the predictable, but when it came to it, I was totally carried away by the energy and enjoyment of everyone else around me. And after all, this is U2 playing their big hits that we know so well; ultimately, whats not to like?

Obviously this is the kind of show that Heritage acts trade off year after year, but I wonder that in U2s case, it may genuinely attract some old fans back to their new music- or at least to their next tour.

That was exactly my experience at night 1, I love U2 and that night it seemed like everybody around me had that same love, I think essentially that is what U2 is all about. Everyone including the band feed off each other's energy to make this special thing that is a U2 concert.

Offline olimar

• Stateless
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2017, 03:45:25 PM »
That was exactly my experience at night 1, I love U2 and that night it seemed like everybody around me had that same love, I think essentially that is what U2 is all about. Everyone including the band feed off each other's energy to make this special thing that is a U2 concert.

Great point.
Its common place these days that when they play the rare or new songs in the set, the ones Im really interested to hear, it always takes the edge off it slightly when its apparent that many sit down or go to the bar at that point and lose interest. There was none of that last night, both old and new fans were full of it at the same time which is really rare.

I dont want U2 to become a heritage act touring their hits, and I did look at the fairly limited age range as we were arriving at the stadium and recognised that this was a new chapter that Im not that comfortable with. But as soon as it all started, I also recognised that there was an upside to the "greatest hits/transient audience" thing.

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2017, 05:24:51 PM »
My night was ruined by the fact that an tha stood me up.  There I was in my bestest black velvet dress and tiara with no blue scouser to buy me drinks.  I guess he didn’t want anyone witnessing him singing along to Elevation.

Regardless, I soon forgot my disappointment once U2 took the stage.  It was another great concert – I don’t think I’ve ever seen a bad U2 show, and whilst I had reservations about the setlist, I found it worked very well in practice.  In particular, the power trio of Beautiful Day-Elevation-Vertigo brought the stadium together in unison and you could see the people in the seats jumping and dancing. 

I disagree with an tha about SBS.  It’s never been a song I’ve liked very much; musically it’s a bit too martial and lyrically naïve – I prefer the other songs on the topic, particularly North and South of the River and Please – but last night it was a brilliant opener.  It immediately animated the audience and I noted Bono doing some of the poses he would do 30-35 years ago.  Nostalgia is now a certain part of the experience of seeing U2, and no-one need be ashamed of that. 

I am not neurotic enough to worry about Edge missing a few notes here and there, so if he did fluff his lines on SBS I didn’t notice it.  I think the moment was made more powerful by the fact U2 were performing in the centre of the stadium in broad daylight – that “in the circle” feel where everyone could see each other clapping and dancing engaged those in the seats as well as the standing crew.  I found the daylight helped the concert in terms of creating a sense of communal engagement with the show (apart from the guys near me who got into a fight and hit a woman). 

As for the album I liked the performance of Red Hill Mining Town; I find this more understated and brass-heavy version of the song poignant, though it’s a pity Edge is playing a pretty basic keyboard piece throughout the song, his talents wasted there.  As others have pointed out, they use lots of loops and effects but I have no problem with this – they’re still playing their instruments and singing on top of the textured backgrounds they use.  And by the way, it was the same on the Popmart tour.

As for the rest of the album, like an tha I felt sure Bono was going to launch into the “shine like stars” section to WOWY before he appeared to think better of it.  The version of Running to Stand Still is a slight let down, but there is a bit of a “Zoo TV” vibe to Edge’s guitar work during it.  I found One Tree Hill powerful and moving.  I was also touched by Mothers of the Disappeared.

Miss Sarajevo seemed a song that last night meant a great deal to Bono in particular.  I appear to be in a minority in enjoying the arrangement to MW – the rhythm was fantastic to my ears.   Of course, I loved Ultraviolet which has always been a favourite song of mine, and I value the reminder that we should cherish the women in our lives, and the enrichment they bring us. 

So, yes, a great night.  I think I enjoyed it just slightly more than an tha…?

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
  • I know that this is not goodbye, my forum friends!
« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2017, 05:33:11 PM »
uh, yeah...I'd say you definitely enjoyed the show more than an tha! (next time you can borrow my purple pasties...then he won't be able to resist you)
We always wish for "shine like stars", don't we?
While I always want them to do their best, I like when they make little mistakes...it makes them more human.
After reading your review, I have decided that if they skip Ultraviolet at my show, I will simply quit. I'm hoping for both UV AND MW. Greedy lass, aren't I?
Good reviews by both of my buddies...true to your hearts. Thanks to you both for posting!

Offline lorijane

• Airborne Ranger
  • We picked the right band
« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2017, 05:46:34 PM »
My night was ruined by the fact that an tha stood me up.  There I was in my bestest black velvet dress and tiara with no blue scouser to buy me drinks.  I guess he didn’t want anyone witnessing him singing along to Elevation.

Regardless, I soon forgot my disappointment once U2 took the stage.  It was another great concert – I don’t think I’ve ever seen a bad U2 show, and whilst I had reservations about the setlist, I found it worked very well in practice.  In particular, the power trio of Beautiful Day-Elevation-Vertigo brought the stadium together in unison and you could see the people in the seats jumping and dancing. 

I disagree with an tha about SBS.  It’s never been a song I’ve liked very much; musically it’s a bit too martial and lyrically naïve – I prefer the other songs on the topic, particularly North and South of the River and Please – but last night it was a brilliant opener.  It immediately animated the audience and I noted Bono doing some of the poses he would do 30-35 years ago.  Nostalgia is now a certain part of the experience of seeing U2, and no-one need be ashamed of that. 

I am not neurotic enough to worry about Edge missing a few notes here and there, so if he did fluff his lines on SBS I didn’t notice it.  I think the moment was made more powerful by the fact U2 were performing in the centre of the stadium in broad daylight – that “in the circle” feel where everyone could see each other clapping and dancing engaged those in the seats as well as the standing crew.  I found the daylight helped the concert in terms of creating a sense of communal engagement with the show (apart from the guys near me who got into a fight and hit a woman). 

As for the album I liked the performance of Red Hill Mining Town; I find this more understated and brass-heavy version of the song poignant, though it’s a pity Edge is playing a pretty basic keyboard piece throughout the song, his talents wasted there.  As others have pointed out, they use lots of loops and effects but I have no problem with this – they’re still playing their instruments and singing on top of the textured backgrounds they use.  And by the way, it was the same on the Popmart tour.

As for the rest of the album, like an tha I felt sure Bono was going to launch into the “shine like stars” section to WOWY before he appeared to think better of it.  The version of Running to Stand Still is a slight let down, but there is a bit of a “Zoo TV” vibe to Edge’s guitar work during it.  I found One Tree Hill powerful and moving.  I was also touched by Mothers of the Disappeared.

Miss Sarajevo seemed a song that last night meant a great deal to Bono in particular.  I appear to be in a minority in enjoying the arrangement to MW – the rhythm was fantastic to my ears.   Of course, I loved Ultraviolet which has always been a favourite song of mine, and I value the reminder that we should cherish the women in our lives, and the enrichment they bring us. 

So, yes, a great night.  I think I enjoyed it just slightly more than an tha…?

So you did wear that velvet dress. Must've been brutally warm.

Offline Spaderholic

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2017, 05:54:06 PM »
Good, honest review, an tha. I think a lot of what you wrote is how I probably would have felt too, although I know it's hard to judge, not having been there! I just can't stand stadium gigs and never go to them. I've never seen U2 live, despite having been a fan for donkey's years. For me stadium gigs are a complete waste of time and money. They cost a fortune (I could never have afforded to go to this tour even if I'd wanted to, at those obscene prices), the sound in a stadium is nearly always terrible and unless you're willing to be crushed and squashed trying to be near the front then the view is pretty awful. For me personally I don't see the point in spending a fortune to see a band as tiny dots on a stage a mile away! Before you think "how can she say the sound is awful in stadiums if she's never been to a stadium gig", I have been to a couple of stadium gigs in the past. Actually, I think 3, altogether (Madonna, Paul Weller and Manic Street Preachers) and my experience at all 3 confirmed to me that I should never go to another one ever again, lol! Terrible sound, terrible view, left feeling deflated. None of those 3 gigs cost very much, btw, so it wasn't a huge waste of money for me like it would be going to stadium gigs these days.

In some ways I do regret not going to see U2 on their Zoo TV and PopMart tours, as (having watched the DVD's of those tours countless times) they must have been amazing shows and they're from the period of U2's that I enjoy the most, but I just couldn't bring myself to go to them, after my unpleasant stadium experiences seeing Madonna and Paul Weller beforehand! I don't like huge arena gigs either. I've been to some in the past and the whole vastness of the venues (and terrible sound) left me feeling totally detached from proceedings. The gigs just felt totally flat to me. I went to see The Libertines at the O2 Arena in London and wish I hadn't bothered. The sound was dreadful, the band seemed half a mile away from me and the people around me were like zombies - not moving or dancing, barely even applauding, the atmosphere was as flat as a pancake! Anyway, as I'm never going to see U2 in a small venue I guess I'll just have to continue to enjoy listening to their albums and buying their concert DVDs.

I've got a ticket to see Paul Heaton & Jacqui Abbott at the Newport Centre in November. Now venues of that size (and smaller) I'm happy with! Cosy, intimate and full of atmosphere. :)

Wish I'd seen Noel Gallagher though! What a great support act to have. I think he's one of Britain's best songwriters. The best support act I ever saw - in the late 90's I went to see the band 3 Colours Red at Cardiff Student's Uni - they were supported by Muse, who were amazing! 3 Colours Red seemed boring after Muse's set! They were mesmerising. I really love going to gigs, I just hate huge gigs. I wish I could have seen U2 in the very early 80's, when they were playing small venues, that would have been amazing! Sigh. :)

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
  • Nashville, Montreal 1 & 2
« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2017, 06:19:49 PM »
An Tha did wear that velvet dress. However, he did several costume changes in the underworld. 5 doors down there with B,E,A,L and An Tha written on the doors. He wore a frown for Elevation.

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2017, 07:10:21 PM »
Tremendous read, an tha! I knew I could count on you to give a good write-up on that encore. Maybe you'll get a more fitting quartet of '00s tracks next time... Elevation, Beautiful Day, Vertigo... that trio begs for an extra helping of Boots! At least one more song to dance to with capo!

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2017, 08:43:23 PM »
   Good review, An Tha.  You are a good writer certainly and very detailed as well.  I was hoping you'd have your George C. Scott moment (from the "Christmas Carol") when he wakes up, opens the window and asks "You there, boy, what day is this?"  "Why it's Christmas Day, of course!"  Then he starts his hitch-kicking, bouncing on the bed, and running around his apartment like a crazy fool.  Alas, that was not to be, but you did get out of the house and had a decent time, so that's cool too. 
    You are obviously a very intelligent and analytic person.  I tend to be more emotional; therefore, I work myself up to have a great time and therefore do so.  But, yes, I did notice Bono's voice sounded quite leprechaun-ish.  I'm not sure why that is, but I jump around and sing along so much that it doesn't bug me.
    You probably have a lot in common with Edge, who also seems quite analytic. It takes all kinds of people to make the world go round.   
     That's nice you had a fun moment during "Elevation" too.
      Well, there's always the next arena tour to look forward to in SOE.  No doubt the sound quality will be a lot better. 
      I'm not sure what made this tour so moving an experience for me.  And it was a very emotionally charged and meaningful experience for me. A lot of it might have to do with the climate in America right now--so negative and xenophobic.  These songs have a healing quality somehow in themselves; the sum is greater than the individual parts, since JT isn't my fav album of theirs. I think it also has a lot to do with the spirit of the band, the love they have for each other, and the memories conjured up by these songs, which I experienced just after college.  Bono eloquent insistence on love having the final say is a spiritual touchstone for me somehow. 
    Anyway, glad you got out and had a decent time.  Too bad you didn't find Il Capo--maybe for the SOE you can dig out that mole shirt again and he his velvet dress, lol. :o