Author Topic: The An Tha Review - Twickenham Sunday 9th July 2017  (Read 2757 times)

Offline miryclay

• Elevated
  • http://www.u2gigs.com/myshows/31519
Re: The An Tha Review - Twickenham Sunday 9th July 2017
« Reply #45 on: July 10, 2017, 08:57:03 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
   Good review, An Tha.  You are a good writer certainly and very detailed as well.  I was hoping you'd have your George C. Scott moment (from the "Christmas Carol") when he wakes up, opens the window and asks "You there, boy, what day is this?"  "Why it's Christmas Day, of course!"  Then he starts his hitch-kicking, bouncing on the bed, and running around his apartment like a crazy fool.  Alas, that was not to be, but you did get out of the house and had a decent time, so that's cool too. 
    You are obviously a very intelligent and analytic person.  I tend to be more emotional; therefore, I work myself up to have a great time and therefore do so.  But, yes, I did notice Bono's voice sounded quite leprechaun-ish.  I'm not sure why that is, but I jump around and sing along so much that it doesn't bug me.
    You probably have a lot in common with Edge, who also seems quite analytic. It takes all kinds of people to make the world go round.   
     That's nice you had a fun moment during "Elevation" too.
      Well, there's always the next arena tour to look forward to in SOE.  No doubt the sound quality will be a lot better. 
      I'm not sure what made this tour so moving an experience for me.  And it was a very emotionally charged and meaningful experience for me. A lot of it might have to do with the climate in America right now--so negative and xenophobic.  These songs have a healing quality somehow in themselves; the sum is greater than the individual parts, since JT isn't my fav album of theirs. I think it also has a lot to do with the spirit of the band, the love they have for each other, and the memories conjured up by these songs, which I experienced just after college.  Bono eloquent insistence on love having the final say is a spiritual touchstone for me somehow. 
    Anyway, glad you got out and had a decent time.  Too bad you didn't find Il Capo--maybe for the SOE you can dig out that mole shirt again and he his velvet dress, lol. :o

I don't mean to bug you.

It seems An Tha has a classic Irish brain, very observational, never fully in the moment, suspicious of spectacle. Be grudges U2 but wouldn't miss it for the world.

Offline wik73

• Numb
« Reply #46 on: July 10, 2017, 09:52:02 PM »
HMM...Sounds like it may have been U2's set up in that particular stadium. I've seen them four times in a stadiums (3 in soldier field) and it's always been crystal clear. In fact, it's one of my favorite spots to see them. Maybe they'll tour an album more favorable to your likings as it doesn't sound like this one was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline monopoly

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #47 on: July 10, 2017, 10:14:56 PM »
Reading that, I just have one question....

Do you actually like U2?

The only thing I got from that is that there is no song you actually seem to like :D
Do agree about Streets though. The key change and the sound of Edge's guitar spoils it from what it used to be

Also, why are you going to gigs to analyse them? If it's sh**, it's sh**. If it's good, it's good.
I can't pay money for a ticket and then stand there for two hours, thinking about things like that

The guitar on streets this tour sucks. It sounds way too trebly. Not sure if he's trying to go for an "album sound" or what but compared to the last tour, this sucks.

Offline miryclay

• Elevated
  • http://www.u2gigs.com/myshows/31519
« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2017, 12:29:07 AM »
The sound was muddy at the stage opposite end of Twickenham.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #49 on: July 11, 2017, 01:23:15 AM »
Thanks to all who have taken the time to read and those who have taken the time to comment.....It is nice to share but just as nice to take on board others comments whether they agree or disagree or are a mix - different views are what make here an interesting place to visit....well that and the laughs of course and i've laughed a few times at the comments here.....I missed the velvet dress though! Gutted.

Probably best il capo and i did not manage to get it on reading about what happened near him - i am a little old fashioned when it comes to fellas striking women!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 01:27:49 AM by an tha »

Offline riffraff

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • So, when does SOE happen?
« Reply #50 on: July 11, 2017, 05:22:54 AM »
Thanks to all who have taken the time to read and those who have taken the time to comment.....It is nice to share but just as nice to take on board others comments whether they agree or disagree or are a mix - different views are what make here an interesting place to visit....well that and the laughs of course and i've laughed a few times at the comments here.....I missed the velvet dress though! Gutted.

Probably best il capo and i did not manage to get it on reading about what happened near him - i am a little old fashioned when it comes to fellas striking women!
And, bless you for that comment about being old fashioned...

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #51 on: July 11, 2017, 07:24:15 AM »
I didn't make London but some of the @atu2 staff were there plus a friend who all actually made a point of saying the sound was really clear. All down to individual opinion I guess.

Offline Gavin82

• Refugee
« Reply #52 on: July 11, 2017, 07:28:43 AM »
I think every Stadium no matter where in world will have some sound issues as ive said i much much prefer Wembley or O.Park

Offline mc

• Stateless
« Reply #53 on: July 11, 2017, 07:45:25 AM »
I went to the Sat night.
In all honesty I went for the new song and luckily they played it.
Overall I enjoyed it BUT realise Bono's voice has had it and the overall vibe I got was a bit of a U2 by numbers greatest hit vibe.
The placement of the songs as a 'greatest hits' show didnt work well.
Bad should be played after enduring at least an hour of songs to give the emotionsl impact...the same with Streets. Usually I get shivers when the Streets intro starts...usually after a few slow numbers, but here it was too soon.
Red Hill was terrible. The salvation army band totally spoilt the desert landscape feel of the song in its album form and Bono made me cringe when he failed to hit the high notes. Also substiting 'Im hanging on' for 'hanging on' spoilt it. Exit was great. Dissapeared boring. One Tree Hill again spoilt by Bono failing to sing the correct hights.
The visuals were brilliant but used in places to detract from the poor vocals.
It was good overall, but I just wished I was watching them play new tunes.
My worry is that all the good songs have Bono reaching outside his comfort zone to bring that high point. I can only see him being able to do this in a studio now after many takes to get it right.
Time to stop I think and concentrate on one or two more top quality studio albums.

Offline Kmama07

• Running to Stand Still
  • She is everywhere and no place
« Reply #54 on: July 11, 2017, 07:55:20 AM »
I didn't make London but some of the @atu2 staff were there plus a friend who all actually made a point of saying the sound was really clear. All down to individual opinion I guess.
I'm sure others will disagree, but in Chicago the sound was muddy the closer to the stage (for me). Once I moved further to the middle/back of the floor, it cleared up a bit.

Offline riffraff

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #55 on: July 11, 2017, 08:05:09 AM »
I'm sure others will disagree, but in Chicago the sound was muddy the closer to the stage (for me). Once I moved further to the middle/back of the floor, it cleared up a bit.
I wonder how the sound will be up in my nosebleed seats???

Offline Kmama07

• Running to Stand Still
  • She is everywhere and no place
« Reply #56 on: July 11, 2017, 08:22:47 AM »
You'll be so happy you won't care if it's terrible!!! Many of my negative comments come from digesting the show after the fact. When I was there in the moment...it didn't matter much. I was just happy to be there😀

Offline riffraff

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #57 on: July 11, 2017, 08:25:05 AM »
You'll be so happy you won't care if it's terrible!!! Many of my negative comments come from digesting the show after the fact. When I was there in the moment...it didn't matter much. I was just happy to be there😀
You are probably 100% right on this point! I'll be delirious no matter what it sounds like, no matter that they will look like little ants on a little ant-stage!
And, even though I wish like crazy that this was an arena show, I am looking forward to the stadium experience...I've never seen U2 in a stadium. Back in the 70's I saw many stadium shows...but this will be the best one for me!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 08:27:55 AM by riffraff »

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #58 on: July 11, 2017, 09:26:58 AM »
I think every Stadium no matter where in world will have some sound issues as ive said i much much prefer Wembley or O.Park

Fair point but they were on the pitch - round the mixing desk area. I suspect as you say the closer you get it may be different.

Offline jrodr079

• Refugee
« Reply #59 on: July 11, 2017, 09:29:46 AM »
An Tha,

I have a newfound respect for you after reading your review. I admit, I had a wrong image of you as 'cranky' just for the sake of it. Now, I see we may actually have a lot in common.

I agree tons with a lot of what you write. And it shows that you are an experienced concertgoer and U2 fan. You are no 'groupie' and can judge the band with a critical eye.

The fans saying you can't 'live in the moment' or that ask 'If you are even a U2 fan' DON'T GET IT. Being a seasoned fan, means telling it like it is. Good, bad and ugly.

Great review mate. I have seen 4 shows this tour, and for the first time in my 4 tours, the emotional impact that used to bring goosebumps (and sometimes tears) was gone. Hope its temporary.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 09:31:21 AM by jrodr079 »