Author Topic: The An Tha Review - Twickenham Sunday 9th July 2017  (Read 2257 times)

Online an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
Re: The An Tha Review - Twickenham Sunday 9th July 2017
« Reply #75 on: July 11, 2017, 03:28:48 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Its all opinions isn't it...nobody is right, nobody is wrong - opinions and the sharing of are a key part of forums....been good to share mine and to read others.

If of course absolutely and indisputably are right about elevation though regardless of what the other 59,999 people at Twickenham thought Sunday  :)

Hey an that, check this out. It's a snip at 5.99! :D

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 03:31:01 PM by an tha »

Offline DoYouFeelLoved

• Refugee
  • Holy Dunc Space Junk
« Reply #76 on: July 11, 2017, 03:30:28 PM »
Thanks for your insights An Tha.

I had too a mild temptation the days before, but I stood firm and decided I wasn't going to attend any of the shows last weekend, 'cause I've never bought the whole concept of this celebratory tour. The insane tickets price made the decision much easier to take.

Plus, watching many live videos from various shows, none of them has left me impressed in the slightest.

Sure, the visuals are stunning, but it's never been a thing that makes the difference for me if I feel the performance is a letdown.

Judging by your review, I think it would have been the same mixed experience for me.

Offline bass slap

• Numb
  • Hot as a hair dryer.. In your face!
« Reply #77 on: July 11, 2017, 05:18:15 PM »
Not going to pretend I read all of the review..,but from my own experience it was a great show.

The first 5 were relentless, and got a much bigger reaction than 360 and i&e. The crowd was into it! I think after this tour they will have some big decisions to make.. stick with the nostalgia act, get the crowd going from the off, or flog some dead horse of a new album to a less enthusiastic audience. I think this may be a significant turning point.

I would just say "chill winston" they're not the same guys they were when they dreamt up zootv. They're never coming back.. I had beers, got a little high and made the most of enjoying it and they kept their side of the bargain as far as I'm concerned. Noel was great, and recall thinking can u2 do better than that?
But they really did take it to a another level.

Offline Yaro

• Wanderer
  • Everything you know is wrong
« Reply #78 on: July 11, 2017, 06:25:55 PM »
Reading that, I just have one question....

Do you actually like U2?

The only thing I got from that is that there is no song you actually seem to like :D
Do agree about Streets though. The key change and the sound of Edge's guitar spoils it from what it used to be

Also, why are you going to gigs to analyse them? If it's sh**, it's sh**. If it's good, it's good.
I can't pay money for a ticket and then stand there for two hours, thinking about things like that
AnTha-not be rude or anything-but you need let off some steam bro-like go have sex for a really  long long time, or 3 day jog  or climb Evererest -but for the love of God,dont go to U2 concerts anymore,dont listento absolutely  anything after Achtung baby..makes me wonder, why do you even bother going to these shows..or listen to their music..or go on U2 forums for years and years...I ve never seen a more bitter fan or  a harsher critique of their work..why oh why do you even follow them or care to go on these forums everyday when you borderline dont like them..you tore up their last album tho sh**s and hardly ever have anything positive to say about them..baffles me

I can't listen to Pop?.....no, man I'm not having that sorry.....No deal!
9000 messages doesnt give you bragging rights, friend..you and Liam Gallagher should get together sometimes  and Twitter it out....wonder why would someone pay to see a show thinking I better find as many wrongs & flaws I can..stuck in the past glory days..bump it

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
« Reply #79 on: July 11, 2017, 07:04:29 PM »
Reading that, I just have one question....

Do you actually like U2?

The only thing I got from that is that there is no song you actually seem to like :D
Do agree about Streets though. The key change and the sound of Edge's guitar spoils it from what it used to be

Also, why are you going to gigs to analyse them? If it's sh**, it's sh**. If it's good, it's good.
I can't pay money for a ticket and then stand there for two hours, thinking about things like that
AnTha-not be rude or anything-but you need let off some steam bro-like go have sex for a really  long long time, or 3 day jog  or climb Evererest -but for the love of God,dont go to U2 concerts anymore,dont listento absolutely  anything after Achtung baby..makes me wonder, why do you even bother going to these shows..or listen to their music..or go on U2 forums for years and years...I ve never seen a more bitter fan or  a harsher critique of their work..why oh why do you even follow them or care to go on these forums everyday when you borderline dont like them..you tore up their last album tho sh**s and hardly ever have anything positive to say about them..baffles me

I can't listen to Pop?.....no, man I'm not having that sorry.....No deal!
9000 messages doesnt give you bragging rights, friend..you and Liam Gallagher should get together sometimes  and Twitter it out....wonder why would someone pay to see a show thinking I better find as many wrongs & flaws I can..stuck in the past glory days..bump it
an tha didn't even bring his post count into the conversation... leading me to believe that you feel insecure about that of your own (for whatever reason).

Also, if you had bothered to read the review you will find that he actually enjoyed the show and had a good time. U2 are renowned as a tremendous live act and seeing one of their shows, even if you really only care to hear half of the songs played, is worth it to some.

Let's not also forgot that this entire tour is meant to commemorate the 30th anniversary of The Joshua Tree. So telling an tha to stop living in the glory days, when in fact the albums that he loves most are younger than The Joshua Tree, is a bit contradictory.

I don't mean to speak for him, but I can't stand hearing this argument time and time again.

Offline miryclay

• Elevated
  • Toronto, Detroit, Cleveland, Buffalo
« Reply #80 on: July 12, 2017, 12:58:48 AM »
An Tha just has a highly critical brain. Which is unusual. He is not like a fan that just gets served content on a plate and screams an yells.

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #81 on: July 12, 2017, 03:31:20 PM »
Do you ever just get out of your head, An Tha?  If so, what do you do to accomplish this?  (Sorry if that's too personal, lol.)

Offline riffraff

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Hold on to love, love won't let you go...
« Reply #82 on: July 12, 2017, 03:32:13 PM »
Do you ever just get out of your head, An Tha?  If so, what do you do to accomplish this?  (Sorry if that's too personal, lol.)
methinks he drinks :P

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #83 on: July 12, 2017, 03:36:23 PM »
Sounds like a good answer :P

Online an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #84 on: July 12, 2017, 03:43:04 PM »

Offline MadRob360

• Refugee
  • Jealousy Is A Disease
« Reply #85 on: July 12, 2017, 04:27:05 PM »
Couple of fair points i guess, i was at both nights and really enjoyed both. Not quite sure what you mean with the helium though - i was at the front of the b stage night 1 and adams side of the main stage night 2 and sound was brilliant. I did notice the timing issue once or twice when edge gave adam a knowing look and they got it back on track, But nobody mentioned it near me (maybe you need a musicians ear i don't know!) I like stadium gigs, But it does affect a U2 show as they have all the visual stuff going on which really relies on night to be more effective. I've been seeing the band since popmart and i must say i enjoyed the shows at the weekend just as much, Guy oseary even collared me during beautiful day about my U2 tattoo! I guess i'm less picky because im just glad the boys are still touring and making music. Bad was a particular high and low for me as it was the only U2 song my 91 year old grandad really loved - he passed away in January...so hearing it had a bit more for me this time around. Overall i thought it was stunning, I get people don't really like elevation and vertigo but i take them for what they are, feel good tunes to get a crowd going in such a setting! So overall i'd say 9.5/10, the only thing that would have made it a 10 was hearing a sort of homecoming!

Offline ShankAsu

• Child of Grace
  • Can't fight for s---, but sure can take a beating
« Reply #86 on: July 12, 2017, 05:05:41 PM »

NUNS!

Offline Nikb

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #87 on: July 13, 2017, 06:57:55 AM »
Attended my 27th U2 show on Saturday, and one of the best I have been to. (My shows stretch back to Roundhay Park Leeds in 1993) I came away thinking of how good the sound was and how the crowd were into it. Very impressed with the Red Zone, even if it was invaded at one point by non ticket holders.... Roll on Red Zone Dublin !!!!!!!!!!!

Offline MPare1966

• Refugee
  • Trying to throw my arms around the world.
« Reply #88 on: July 13, 2017, 12:18:41 PM »
An honest review Mr. Tha, thanks for sharing. Overall, I'm with you on the stadium/arena issue. My best U2 experiences all have been in arenas (ZooTV, TUF and I&E being my Top3 all time). I saw Original JT, ZooTVOB, Pop, 360 and JT2017 in stadiums, and most have been OK experiences. But as you say, there's too many variables in a huge stadium to properly provide a reliable commentary...

Anyways, it's a little funny (or ironic, should I say) to read that Elavation provided for one of the few nice moments in the show for you, of all people.  ;D

For the few who haven't seen said moment with Larry, here it is from Toronto

Ha yeah still makes me smile seeing it again...it is just the most 'un larry' thing which makes it!

"Look Mom, two hands waving"

Offline Ultrafly

• Stateless
« Reply #89 on: July 13, 2017, 12:31:26 PM »
I get why people don't like Elevation or Vertigo - the lyrics are fairly fluffy and empty, but sometimes, you need fluff.

Rock and
Rock and Roll Radio
LET'S GO