Author Topic: All That You Cant 2017 Remastered- Ground Beneath  (Read 2272 times)

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
Re: All That You Cant 2017 Remastered- Ground Beneath
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2017, 10:43:11 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I'm part of the crowd that absolutely loves GBHF and Stateless. Never Let Me Go to a lesser extent (although technically, not a U2 song). It's funny because I think MDH and its soundtrack were not exactly hits. Far from it. But in retrospect it was, to me, much deeper and more interesting material than ATYCLB...

Stateless and Never Let me Go for me are vastly superior to anything on ATYCLB..and I mean vastly.

What,  no love for Dancin Shoes?

It's a bit of weird little track, but I prefer it to GBHF by a long shot.

Good shout!

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2017, 12:32:20 PM »
I'm part of the crowd that absolutely loves GBHF and Stateless. Never Let Me Go to a lesser extent (although technically, not a U2 song). It's funny because I think MDH and its soundtrack were not exactly hits. Far from it. But in retrospect it was, to me, much deeper and more interesting material than ATYCLB...

Stateless and Never Let me Go for me are vastly superior to anything on ATYCLB..and I mean vastly.

Don't laugh, but my NLOTH playlist (titled Between Midnight and Dawning) includes Stateless, NLMG, and TGBHF (which fits perfectly due to its Moroccan, snake-charmer vibe).

I don't usually alter an album so drastically, but in order for the playlist to be listenable I had no choice. Plus I had to get rid of garbage like SUC, IGCIIDGCT, and other tracks.

But anyway, absolutely agree on the 3 MDH tunes: infinitely superior to anything on ATYCLB.

Offline PookaMacP

• Refugee
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2017, 01:34:22 PM »

Agreed, Never Let Me Go is phenomenally good. And one reason to think that a Bono solo album could be very interesting indeed.

It is yet another example of how u2/bono are just (well for me anyway) so much better when they aren't writing obvious 'big' songs.

But tell that to all the people going mad at Twickenham at the weekend for elevation/vertigo.

Elevation and Vertigo have their place – and I don't begrudge anyone the desire for a good singalong at a stadium gig.

But good call on the 'obvious' songs.

After two decades of being a U2 fan, I've finally admitted to myself that they're never going to change.

That's why I'm now looking forward to the day when they call it quits. Let them make music without the pressure that is clearly weighing on their shoulders to produce a hit – because when they do, it's clear that they still have it (see: Moment of Surrender, Cedars of Lebanon, Never Let Me Go, The Troubles).

(Queue opprobrium...)

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2017, 01:36:31 PM »

Agreed, Never Let Me Go is phenomenally good. And one reason to think that a Bono solo album could be very interesting indeed.

It is yet another example of how u2/bono are just (well for me anyway) so much better when they aren't writing obvious 'big' songs.

But tell that to all the people going mad at Twickenham at the weekend for elevation/vertigo.

Elevation and Vertigo have their place – and I don't begrudge anyone the desire for a good singalong at a stadium gig.

But good call on the 'obvious' songs.

After two decades of being a U2 fan, I've finally admitted to myself that they're never going to change.

That's why I'm now looking forward to the day when they call it quits. Let them make music without the pressure that is clearly weighing on their shoulders to produce a hit – because when they do, it's clear that they still have it (see: Moment of Surrender, Cedars of Lebanon, Never Let Me Go, The Troubles).

(Queue opprobrium...)

I have often said u2 are a bad pop/rock band....but a great alternative music band

Offline Blueyedboy

• Running to Stand Still
  • Embrace the challenge
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2017, 06:48:12 PM »
Another example of the band being at their best when they are free of the shackles that are present when making music for a U2 album.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 11:55:19 PM by Blueyedboy »

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
  • If there is a light, don't let it go out
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2017, 11:52:29 PM »

I wish they'd fleshed MDH into a full fledged U2 album. More inspirational than anything on atyclb.

Offline soloyan

• Staring at the Sun
  • A dangerous idea that almost makes sense
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2017, 12:07:02 AM »
The fact that MDH-the movie- sucked probably didn't help in getting a hit single out of GBHF. And since GBHF wasn't a hit, they thought it wasn't a good direction. I guess.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Offline sulphur76

• Refugee
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2017, 10:14:33 AM »
From what I recall, the songs on MDH were a result of Eno stating he wanted the band to record an album quickly, and that is what came out of the sessions. Afterwards, the band wanted to go back to their normal process and ATYCLB was the result.

Just another example of what happens when the band labors on a record for too long.

Offline lazyboy

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2017, 12:34:00 PM »
Loved MDH soundtrack! Appears it's not even on Spotify, must dig the CD out.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2017, 02:02:30 PM »
And since GBHF wasn't a hit, they thought it wasn't a good direction. I guess.

Because that's how you determine your direction: by whether a lot of people buy it.

Sigh.

Online ShankAsu

• Child of Grace
  • Can't fight for s---, but sure can take a beating
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2017, 02:19:59 PM »
Please no one start saying that Fast Cars is the best U2 song.  I feel we are heading in that direction.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2017, 02:21:04 PM »
Please no one start saying that Fast Cars is the best U2 song.  I feel we are heading in that direction.

The best U2 song is Boomerang 1. Duh.

Online ShankAsu

• Child of Grace
  • Can't fight for s---, but sure can take a beating
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2017, 02:28:11 PM »
I like GBHF.  Seeing as it was released on TMDH soundtrack before both ATYCLB and HTDAAB albums were released, i would say it was just a bonus track in some countries on the latter album.  It doesn't make sense to me why they did it.

Offline Bundang Dave

• Running to Stand Still
  • It's not what I want; it's what I need.
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2017, 06:07:13 PM »

You're both wrong. Fast Cars (Jacknife Lee Mix) is clearly their best.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 06:14:41 PM by Bundang Dave »

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2017, 09:01:33 PM »

You're both wrong. Fast Cars (Jacknife Lee Mix) is clearly their best.
sigh

That's the problem with this place... there are no more true fans around. Whatever happened to Whatever Happened to Pete the Chop?