Author Topic: The Joshua Tree Tour 2017 - Twickenham, 08/07/17 (Review)  (Read 382 times)

Offline A_Fly_On_The_Wall

• Deep In the Heart
  • Baby, It’s A Red Flag Day...
The Joshua Tree Tour 2017 - Twickenham, 08/07/17 (Review)
« on: July 10, 2017, 02:30:13 PM »
The time has certainly come around quick since my first ever live experience of U2 back on their I&E Tour at The O2, London in 2015! But, here we are again!

Here’s my review of my second ever live encounter of U2 and first ever stadium concert as well! (FYI – it was an AWESOME night!!!)...

The anticipation in the stadium for U2 was immense and was nothing like I‘d ever felt before doing anything in my life. The crowd came to a rapturous applause once Larry stepped out onto the main stage and began his walk down the line to, what I like to call, “The Tree Stage”.

Once sat down behind his drum kit, the ever-familiar snare sounds of Sunday Bloody Sunday belted out to kick the concert off. The Edge followed down the line, chiming out his iconic riff, before Bono and Adam joined the stage to start the song off proper. All I can say is, what an opening number! The crowd was pumped from the off and the band looked incredibly energetic and well up for the event! Edge’s solo was a bit fluffed on the opening note but not overly recognisable and the entire sound throughout was great. A wicked start to the concert!

Quickly following suit was New Year’s Day which was met with more cheering from the audience once Adam’s bassline commenced. The whole band continued to power through this song with a force harking back to their Red Rocks era. Edge’s solo rocked and the band sounded tight.

Next up, after a small speech from Bono, was the utterly joyous Bad. This song is so uplifting and was performed with a great spirit throughout. I don’t care what people say, Bono’s voice is still on point! His chanting towards the end through the “let it go” sections was amazing! Edge’s guitar was chiming throughout and the rhythm section of Adam and Larry carried the song well.

Pride (In The Name Of Love) was next to blast out of the Tree Stage and, as expected, this song ROCKED! They’ve really nailed this song live after its rebirth across the I&E Tour and it sounded wonderful. Edge’s solo being another highlight before the band finished up and let the crowd take over the final “oh oh-oh oh” section – spine-tingling to say the least!

And then we come to the moment I had been dreaming of seeing... the lead up into Where The Streets Have No Name. Words cannot describe it well enough for me; it was simply the most stunning sound of the evening. Shivers went down my spine and my hairs stood on end when the band stood in front of the giant red screen before Edge’s first note screeched out of the speakers hitting me like an angelic noise. The entire intro had me full of goosebumps and the song just peaked and peaked before it came to a climax – the most emotional part of the night for me!

The band quickly led into I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For kicking off with Adam’s signature bassline and Larry’s tambourine. A wonderful collection of images displayed on the huge screen was incredible and fitted the theme of the song nicely. It’s still a great hit.

With Or Without You promptly followed and, as expected, was a huge fan favourite with the entire crowd getting into the flow singing along with Bono. This song never fails to deliver a huge amount of emotion and was played with such an intense amount of energy yet again. The “Shine Like Stars” snippet wasn’t to be seen unfortunately but, nevertheless, it was still a great ballad for everyone to witness!

The absolute powerhouse of Bullet The Blue Sky was next up and, my word, the band really nailed this one! A pure rock and roll performance from start to finish! Larry’s drum beat never fails to give me shivers and, coupled together with Adam’s bass, the rhythm section was in fine form. Edge’s guitar was rocking throughout and Bono was giving it everything too. The visuals were great and fitted the song perfectly as well.

After the rocking performance of Bullet, Running To Stand Still soothed everything down nicely. Bono’s voice, again, was sublime. He carried the crowd in the palm of his hand throughout and never lost us. A beautiful translation from record to live.

Unfortunately, what followed was not so beautiful. Red Hill Mining Town was a bit of a shambles in my opinion and, for me, the only low point of the night. The band have still not figured out how to play this song live. There were way too many French horns blasting about all over the song and, without the power of Edge’s guitar (replaced by his piano) the song lacked punch. Bono sang it well and Edge backed him up nicely but, overall, it was not great and killed my mood slightly for a song I wanted to hear performed well.

Thankfully, the remainder of The Joshua Tree was excellent. Kicking off with In God’s Country, the band was back to their energetic best! Adam’s bouncy bassline was epic and Edge finished things off with a lovely little solo to boot! Larry’s drum pattern was mega as well, great live performance!

A song that I didn’t expect to leave the stadium with fond thoughts of was Trip Through Your Wires but, man, they absolutely killed this song! Bono on the harmonica was crazy good and Adam’s bass just rolled on and on throughout the song carrying it all the way to its climax. This was an unexpected highlight of the concert for me and I was pleasantly surprised at how good this performance was!

One Tree Hill was next up and this was performed well by the band. Edge’s solo was nicely done and the powerful figure of a red moon, displayed on the screen throughout, suited the song’s theme really nicely. A great use of the screen in my opinion.

What came next was, for me, the greatest performance of the entire night. The band rolled out Exit and, oh my word, was this amazing! I have never, ever, felt such power from a live song than this. The quietness of the intro with Larry’s drumstick-clicks, Adam’s relentless bass and Edge’s scratchy individual notes was great and in such a stark contrast to the powerhouse of the climax to the song. Bono cut out an immense figure on stage in character of “The Shadow Man” and his screams of “Eenie Meenie Minie Moe” towards the end sent chills down my spine. WHAT A PERFORMANCE!!!!!

Closing off The Joshua Tree section of the set-list was Mothers Of The Disappeared and, yet again, I was left pleasantly surprised with this performance. A song which I’ve never really cared for on the record had me intrigued in a live format. Edge’s soft guitar tones provided a gorgeous atmosphere to the Twickenham Stadium and finishing off the first part of the concert beautifully well.

So, now to the encore stage of the concert...

In my opinion, the start of the encore felt weak and left the majority of the crowd uninterested as the band brought out Miss Sarajevo. What I found disappointing was that it had brought the crowd back down to Earth with a thud as well as not really fitting the whole concept of the show. I also found it disappointing that the band appeared to play a recording of Pavarotti singing over the Opera section of the song rather than Bono take it on himself, in a different way to the 360 Tour where he shone in that part.

However, my reservations of the encore were premature as the band flowed effortlessly into a rousing performance of Beautiful Day. I will not accept any argument that this song should not be played continuously across each tour. This song is AMAZING!!! Especially when played live as the band rocks it every time! The crowd certainly got into the spirit of things with this performance!

Next up, the band brought out another absolute fan favourite with Elevation. This was the first time I’d ever heard this song performed live and I can honestly say that it was an absolute belter! It is pure rock and roll at its finest with Edge’s heavy riff, gripping solo and the crowd participation throughout! So happy this was played live!

Without any hesitation, Larry kick-started things off with the iconic drum beat of Vertigo. If the crowd was pumped after Elevation, they were supersonic during Vertigo! This song is still one of their absolute best live tracks and is always a hit no matter when or where it is played. I absolutely loved this section of the encore and it was a really great part of the entire show!

Slowing things down ever so slightly was Ultraviolet (Light My Way). The powerful feminine message displayed across the screen during this song’s performance was slightly off-putting but all in the name of spreading the word so I can cope with that. Edge’s shining riff was glorious and the entire band performed this one well.

Following through from this was the ever-amazing One. Always a treat to hear live and made even more special by the way of the entire lighting being turned off towards the end in Edge’s solo with the crowd’s phone torches lighting up the stadium like a million stars in the night sky. A truly wonderful experience and an absolute pleasure.

Lastly, the band brought out the song I was praying they’d play; The Little Things That Give You Away. I have been a huge fan of this song since I first heard it and I can honestly say that the momentum this song brings is second-to-none in the whole of U2’s catalogue. Edge’s solo was sublime, Adam’s bass grew more and more prominent, Larry’s drumbeat went crazy at the end and Bono’s voice carried the whole song. My favourite part of this song is everything onwards from the first uttering of “sometimes” by Bono towards the end. This song, although not strictly correct in fitting the entire show’s theme, was an amazing song played with such power, emotion and passion. The end is, most certainly, not here yet!

And just when you think the band can’t do anything more spectacular, they bring out Noel Gallagher for a glorious rendition of Don’t Look Back In Anger to the entire crowd’s delight! This chorus is, obviously, one of the greatest of all time and hearing upwards of 60,000 people sing this in perfect union at Twickenham was a feeling I will never ever forget.

Overall, a stunning concert filled with wondrous moments of joy, energy and passion by our beloved band. They have provided, yet another, amazing live performance for the ages and have shown that they will be sticking around for a good few years to come yet!

#TheEndIsNotHere #BringItOn  8)

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
Re: The Joshua Tree Tour 2017 - Twickenham, 08/07/17 (Review)
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2017, 02:42:29 PM »
Glad you enjoyed it, nice detailed review - decent read.

Offline indiansummer

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2017, 03:35:44 PM »
Great review, but just make sure you're not standing beside An Tha at your next show, he may suck the life right out of you !  :P

Offline paganini12345

• Babyface
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2017, 07:06:45 AM »

Wow, thanks for taking the time to posts your thoughts.

I have a few thoughts below  :)

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Pride (In The Name Of Love)  Edge’s solo being another highlight before the band finished up and let the crowd take over the final “oh oh-oh oh” section – spine-tingling to say the least!

I have watched  a lot of videos of this tour and not seen many with pride going into streets so it was amazing to be singing the "oh oh-oh oh" in a crowd knowing what comes next

Unfortunately, what followed was not so beautiful. Red Hill Mining Town was a bit of a shambles in my opinion and, for me, the only low point of the night. The band have still not figured out how to play this song live. There were way too many French horns blasting about all over the song and, without the power of Edge’s guitar (replaced by his piano) the song lacked punch. Bono sang it well and Edge backed him up nicely but, overall, it was not great and killed my mood slightly for a song I wanted to hear performed well.

I loved RHMT.
I read people complaining that Bono had been singing down the octave and could not reach those high notes despite his age etc etc.  So when he sang it all up the octave it was amazing.
To be a little pedantic, there were no french horns but your point still stands ;) although I loved the brass as it's nice to include other instruments and sounds as all guitar and drums can get a little boring after a while (I also love classical music).

What came next was, for me, the greatest performance of the entire night. The band rolled out Exit and, oh my word, was this amazing! I have never, ever, felt such power from a live song than this. The quietness of the intro with Larry’s drumstick-clicks, Adam’s relentless bass and Edge’s scratchy individual notes was great and in such a stark contrast to the powerhouse of the climax to the song. Bono cut out an immense figure on stage in character of “The Shadow Man” and his screams of “Eenie Meenie Minie Moe” towards the end sent chills down my spine. WHAT A PERFORMANCE!!!!!

While Exit is not my favourite song (Bad probably is) I was looking forward to Exit and it was AMAZING.

I also found it disappointing that the band appeared to play a recording of Pavarotti singing over the Opera section of the song rather than Bono take it on himself

I think they should have brought on a professional opera tenor to sing that part but imagine logistics may not have been easy to do this. As much as I love Pavarotti's (powerful) voice it does not come across well in a recording in this type of settings.  I don't think Bono should have sung it though as I'm used to the strong voice of a tenor and that style for that section of the song.

Beautiful Day. I will not accept any argument that this song should not be played continuously across each tour. This song is AMAZING!!! Especially when played live as the band rocks it every time! The crowd certainly got into the spirit of things with this performance!

Next up, the band brought out another absolute fan favourite with Elevation. This was the first time I’d ever heard this song performed live and I can honestly say that it was an absolute belter!

BD and Elevation are not my favourite songs and sometimes skip them but you're right; live they are amazing and even if some fans think they are too "popy" I love then live.

Following through from this was the ever-amazing One.
He sang the "you hear us coming lord ....."   I am sure he has not sang this part in a while so was good to hear. Or have I got that totally wrong?

Overall, a stunning concert filled with wondrous moments of joy, energy and passion by our beloved band. They have provided, yet another, amazing live performance for the ages and have shown that they will be sticking around for a good few years to come yet!

#TheEndIsNotHere #BringItOn  8)

Yes - they must stick around :-)

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2017, 11:43:17 AM »
Good review! It seems like the consensus is that Trip Through Your Wires and Exit are translating better live than expected. I haven't been following this tour particularly closely, so it's nice to read everybody's thoughts.