Poll

What is the best song on "No Line on the Horizon"? (Pick 3 nominees)

No Line on the Horizon
32 (12.5%)
Magnificent
44 (17.1%)
Moment of Surrender
52 (20.2%)
Unknown Caller
18 (7%)
I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight
6 (2.3%)
Get On Your Boots
4 (1.6%)
Stand Up Comedy
4 (1.6%)
Fez-Being Born
31 (12.1%)
White As Snow
10 (3.9%)
Breathe
30 (11.7%)
Cedars of Lebanon
26 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 90

Author Topic: What is the best song on "No Line on the Horizon"? (Pick 3 nominees)  (Read 793 times)

Offline ShankAsu

• Child of Grace
  • Can't fight for s---, but sure can take a beating
Re: What is the best song on "No Line on the Horizon"? (Pick 3 nominees)
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2017, 04:56:21 PM »
Also voted for only one- No Line
the only track i can sit through.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2017, 05:04:08 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Cedars

Just Cedars?

Ok - fair point....i'll add other two.

Of
Lebanon

Hows that?  :)
There it is! The laugh I've been looking for all day long...does this mean you actually think that Cedars is the only song that's worthy of your excellent tastes?

Ha.

Cedars is far, far and away my favourite on the album...pushed to round out a top 3 i would struggle but MOS and Being Born would be the call.

I'd have definitely thrown in Winter from the Linear DVD had they put that on album proper - how they end up putting crazy tonight for example on the album over winter is beyond me....it really is.

Offline aviastar

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • Feel like trash...you make me feel clean
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2017, 07:13:45 PM »
1) Cedars  I love this song so much.
2) Breathe
3) Unknown Caller <----okay you can make fun of me now.  I know this song is loathed, but I rather like it.  Force Quit and Move to Trash is pretty stupid, but I like the fact that it builds up and I really like Edge's guitar solo.

I call NLOTH the donut album.  There's a big hole in the middle.  But I will grant that I have seen some rockin' live versions of Boots.  But yeah..."the future needs a big kiss?"...force quit and move that to trash.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 07:17:45 PM by aviastar »

Offline Blueyedboy

• Numb
  • Embrace the challenge
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2017, 07:28:52 PM »
1) Cedars  I love this song so much.
2) Breathe
3) Unknown Caller <----okay you can make fun of me now.  I know this song is loathed, but I rather like it.  Force Quit and Move to Trash is pretty stupid, but I like the fact that it builds up and I really like Edge's guitar solo.

I call NLOTH the donut album.  There's a big hole in the middle.  But I will grant that I have seen some rockin' live versions of Boots.  But yeah..."the future needs a big kiss?"...force quit and move that to trash.

Although my top three differ I agree with the donut analogy, there's few albums with as strong an opening or ending as NLOTH. As for UC, there's nothing about that song that puts me off, ATM Machine is pretty far down the line of faux pas that have been forgiven (and is in good company with Early morning, April 4 and 1..2..3..14).

Keeping with the donut theme  :), Name the only two things in the whole universe that become greater the more you take away from them?
Answer. A hole and NLOTH.

The album could have been huge if the middle three were flagged up by the quality control department.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 10:29:31 PM by Blueyedboy »

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2017, 07:56:48 PM »
I enjoy "Stand Up Comedy" and "Unknown Caller" also, although my top three would probably be "Fez", "Magnificent" and "Moment of Surrender".  I believe that this album is underrated and has some really great moments.

Offline ZEROpartII

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2017, 08:12:46 PM »
If 5-6-7 were face melters that kept with theme/tone of the album, we would be talking about a potential classic

Online World71R

• Stateless
  • It's no secret ambition bites the nails of success
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2017, 12:16:09 AM »
Some real bangers on this album, but like others have said, it just falls short right in the middle. If not for those, I'd say NLOTH is the absolute proper album that they made for this time, and not a what could've been that's plagued by the middle following a formula. With that said, I'd say my three would be:

Cedars, MOS, Breathe.

Magnificent comes close, as that's the one I first really enjoyed from this album. It's a very exciting song and should've been the first single. Fez-Being Born, NLOTH, and Unknown Caller are also close ones. On some days, F-BB stands out. NLOTH and UC are good, but there just needed to be less Bonoisms ("Woah-oh"s, "Oh"s, the technology references) in some areas of those two songs.

Offline Marvinho

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2017, 12:33:39 AM »
First three songs for me.

Offline Vox

• Numb
  • Time is irrelevant, it's not linear.
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2017, 07:36:31 AM »
Ohmygoodness...  I still love this album.  No Line on the Horizon is my favorite U2 album since the 90's, by heads and shoulders.

"No Line on the Horizon" -- this song is in my top 10 U2 songs of all time.  I love the riff, love the lyrics, love it all.
"Breathe" -- something a bit interesting.  Took me some time to be okay with the lyric delivery.  There's something menacing, uplifting, spiritual, dreadful, and strong about this song, all at once.
"Fez: Being Born" -- the last minute of this song lifts me away to some place.  A good example of latter-day Edge burying great guitar parts under a multitude of sounds. 

P.S.  Nobody's yet picked "Get on Your Boots" in their top 3?  A lot of dislike for that song.   
P.P.S.  This album is still very magical to me, though  I know I'm in the minority.  Though I've rarely listened to any of Songs of Innocence since late 2014, I'm glad others on this message board like it.  Because I adore No Line on the Horizon, and it seems most didn't.  We can each have our albums.
P.P.P.S.  I need to write an ode to this album someday.  After Achtung Baby and Joshua Tree, it battles it out in my next tier of U2 albums with Zooropa and The Unforgettable Fire.   

Offline riffraff

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Hold on to love, love won't let you go...
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2017, 07:42:09 AM »
Ohmygoodness...  I still love this album.  No Line on the Horizon is my favorite U2 album since the 90's, by heads and shoulders.

"No Line on the Horizon" -- this song is in my top 10 U2 songs of all time.  I love the riff, love the lyrics, love it all.
"Breathe" -- something a bit interesting.  Took me some time to be okay with the lyric delivery.  There's something menacing, uplifting, spiritual, dreadful, and strong about this song, all at once.
"Fez: Being Born" -- the last minute of this song lifts me away to some place.  A good example of latter-day Edge burying great guitar parts under a multitude of sounds. 

P.S.  Nobody's yet picked "Get on Your Boots" in their top 3?  A lot of dislike for that song.   
P.P.S.  This album is still very magical to me, though  I know I'm in the minority.  Though I've rarely listened to any of Songs of Innocence since late 2014, I'm glad others on this message board like it.  Because I adore No Line on the Horizon, and it seems most didn't.  We can each have our albums.
P.P.P.S.  I need to write an ode to this album someday.  After Achtung Baby and Joshua Tree, it battles it out in my next tier of U2 albums with Zooropa and The Unforgettable Fire.   
I'm one of few who really like "Boots", but didn't think it deserved to be in the top three. It's a fun song...lyrics are okay...it's fun to sing along with, but not one of their best efforts.

Offline DK46

• Refugee
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2017, 08:47:36 AM »
I don't hate this album, but ultimately, it hurts a little more, because of what could've been.  Arguably more disappointing than dreadful.  What I like, I do quite like.  Of the 11 tracks, I generally like 8, the middle 3 kill it (as many have pointed out). 

However, Cedars, MOS, and Fez:Being Born are the major standouts for me.  I do like Magnificent a lot too I gotta admit. Of course, the b-sides like Soon and Winter are also quite good.  If U2 hadn't tinkered this to death and explored the direction of Fez: Being Born and Soon, this could've been something quite special.  As it is, it's a decent enough album, no more, no less.  Still, it was a step in the right direction after the blandness of ATYCLB and HTDAAB. 

Offline 73October

• Party Girl/Boy
  • A hurricane being born
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2017, 12:16:09 PM »
MOS
Magnificent
Breathe

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2017, 03:26:29 PM »
I love "Breathe" too.  This is a great album in my book.

Offline imaginary friend

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • take the long way home
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2017, 09:24:04 AM »
Today, they are:

Magnificent
Breathe
Crazy Tonight

I listen to this album more than any other U2 release. Magnificent's been #1 for me from day 1. SUC's always been last, but the other songs are always shifting places. Breathe's really jumped up in the last couple of months

Offline ZEROpartII

• Staring at the Sun
Today, they are:

Magnificent
Breathe
Crazy Tonight

I listen to this album more than any other U2 release. Magnificent's been #1 for me from day 1. SUC's always been last, but the other songs are always shifting places. Breathe's really jumped up in the last couple of months

I used to listen to the magnificent beach clip at the gym 4 months in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk