Poll

What is the best song on How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb? 11-song version (pick 3 nominees)

Vertigo
29 (14.9%)
Miracle Drug
20 (10.3%)
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
33 (16.9%)
Love and Peace or Else
6 (3.1%)
City of Blinding Lights
45 (23.1%)
All Because of You
6 (3.1%)
A Man and A Woman
4 (2.1%)
Crumbs From Your Table
13 (6.7%)
One Step Closer
10 (5.1%)
Original of the Species
25 (12.8%)
Yahweh
4 (2.1%)

Total Members Voted: 66

Author Topic: What is the best song on How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb? (pick 3 nominees)  (Read 585 times)

Offline ZEROpartII

• Staring at the Sun
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Awful album. truly, truly awful.

that wins Album of the Year at the Grammy's.  SMH (Dad rock's greatest achievement)

Offline ShankAsu

• Child of Grace
  • Can't fight for s---, but sure can take a beating
Please add Fast Cars as it was on UK album.

I want to vote for it too
Ahggg! (In Charlie Brown voice after missing the football)  Noooooooo! (in Darth Vader voice)

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
Please add Fast Cars as it was on UK album.

I want to vote for it too
Ahggg! (In Charlie Brown voice after missing the football)  Noooooooo! (in Darth Vader voice)

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Running to Stand Still
Not their best effort.  I chose "Vertigo", "Miracle Drug", and "Love and Peace".  "Sometimes You Can't Make It" is a good song, too, but not a lot of memories made on this album.

Offline TimmyB

• Wanderer
A very good album. Probably my 4th favorite.

1) Yahweh
2) Original Of The Species
3) City Of Blinding Lights

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
I think the haters are being a tad over the top here. Not their best, and it hasn't aged terribly well, but I think I might like it more than ATYCLB.

SYCMIOYO
COBL
Vertigo

Hat tip to Crumbs, too. That's a better song than anyone gives it credit for.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline ShankAsu

• Child of Grace
  • Can't fight for s---, but sure can take a beating
Yeah, I think this album is their second best of the new millennium, behind SOI.

Offline riffraff

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Hold on to love, love won't let you go...
I think the haters are being a tad over the top here. Not their best, and it hasn't aged terribly well, but I think I might like it more than ATYCLB.

SYCMIOYO
COBL
Vertigo

Hat tip to Crumbs, too. That's a better song than anyone gives it credit for.

Agree...I think Crumbs is great.

Offline DK46

• Refugee
Haha, oh man, I knew this poll was inevitable the the reactions were quite a riot.  Alas...my love for this album...is nonexistent, but there were more insufferable releases in 2004 too.  Still, this is a low point by any stretch, but while I didn't see them live during this tour, the shows seemed to be pretty energetic and fun.

Anyway, Fast Cars would be a pick and Are You Gonna Wait Forever is alright too, but those don't count.  I like Native Son and the All Because of You (alternate version). 

But to play fair, COBL, SYCMIOYO (it's touching and genuine Bono IMO), and LAPOE.  CFYT and OOTS are alright too.

Holy sh**e...this album needs a remaster though, not that it would help tremendously, but it wouldn't hurt.

Offline ZEROpartII

• Staring at the Sun
The problem with Atomic Bomb is it is trying so hard without the execution.  There are a couple nice organic moments IMO the "framework of Vertigo", Ambiance of COBL, AMAAW, Crumbs' sincerity.  I feel like Bono went into the studio saying I want a "Political song", A power ballad, a rock song that makes us sound like the Who (in the worst ways ABOY).  OOTS seems like a song that they kicked around forever, finally recorded it, and then Bono added a bad Beatles "do do do do" homage to it.

Offline Blueyedboy

• Numb
  • Embrace the challenge
I can only bring myself to vote for one song (SYCMIOYO). The album has aged awfully and is the biggest example of Bono trying to fill every second of every song with a lyric.  Let the music breathe man!

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
The problem with Atomic Bomb is it is trying so hard without the execution.  There are a couple nice organic moments IMO the "framework of Vertigo", Ambiance of COBL, AMAAW, Crumbs' sincerity.  I feel like Bono went into the studio saying I want a "Political song", A power ballad, a rock song that makes us sound like the Who (in the worst ways ABOY).  OOTS seems like a song that they kicked around forever, finally recorded it, and then Bono added a bad Beatles "do do do do" homage to it.
To add on to your thoughts, I like to think of City of Blinding Lights as a poor man's Streets.

You've got what's supposed to be an emotional build-up to introduce the track, Edge's "signature" scratchy guitar, and I think Larry plays a similar tom pattern to start, but I wouldn't remember for sure. The song just tries way too hard to be something that it isn't.

Offline ZEROpartII

• Staring at the Sun
To add on to your thoughts, I like to think of City of Blinding Lights as a poor man's Streets.

You've got what's supposed to be an emotional build-up to introduce the track, Edge's "signature" scratchy guitar, and I think Larry plays a similar tom pattern to start, but I wouldn't remember for sure. The song just tries way too hard to be something that it isn't.

Yeah.  It is an off-brand Streets. The generic equivalent of the real thing in the store you are shopping.  A couple cool parts "Getting ready to leave the ground" . . . "Time".  I have Vertigo as my number 1 well ahead of COBL.  For as much as we have heard it, Vertigo contains one of the last decent guitar riffs of the 21st century.  They are becoming hard to come by.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • Been around the back, Been around the front.
I'm sorry, can you rephrase? I don't understand the question.

Offline aviastar

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • Feel like trash...you make me feel clean
Is this album less liked than NLOTH?

Also I feel this album was around the time the U2 backlash started up, and peaked with the SOI release.  This was the reason for my friend's comment I mentioned earlier...it suddenly became fashionable to hate U2 for small things.

This album is probably in my bottom five, but I think it has redeeming tracks.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 03:46:58 AM by aviastar »