Poll

What is the best song on How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb? 11-song version (pick 3 nominees)

Vertigo
34 (16.3%)
Miracle Drug
22 (10.5%)
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
36 (17.2%)
Love and Peace or Else
6 (2.9%)
City of Blinding Lights
48 (23%)
All Because of You
6 (2.9%)
A Man and A Woman
4 (1.9%)
Crumbs From Your Table
13 (6.2%)
One Step Closer
10 (4.8%)
Original of the Species
26 (12.4%)
Yahweh
4 (1.9%)

Total Members Voted: 68

Author Topic: What is the best song on How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb? (pick 3 nominees)  (Read 834 times)

Offline Blueyedboy

• Running to Stand Still
  • Embrace the challenge
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I'm sorry, can you rephrase? I don't understand the question.

Let me. Which three songs are the least worst?

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
Is this album less liked than NLOTH?

Also I feel this album was around the time the U2 backlash started up, and peaked with the SOI release.  This was the reason for my friend's comment I mentioned earlier...it suddenly became fashionable to hate U2 for small things.

This album is probably in my bottom five, but I think it has redeeming tracks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

To answer your first question: it certainly seems so--at least here in the forum--which is mind-boggling to me.  No, this doesn't compare to their peak 80's/90's stuff, but there's nothing as bad as NLOTH's trifecta (actually quadrilogy) of suck.  Even Yahweh, while banal, is more interesting sonically than, say, Crazy Tonight.

Otherwise, yes, I agree with you.  Not a great album, but not as terrible as some here like to say.

Online aviastar

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Feel like trash...you make me feel clean
Is this album less liked than NLOTH?

Also I feel this album was around the time the U2 backlash started up, and peaked with the SOI release.  This was the reason for my friend's comment I mentioned earlier...it suddenly became fashionable to hate U2 for small things.

This album is probably in my bottom five, but I think it has redeeming tracks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

To answer your first question: it certainly seems so--at least here in the forum--which is mind-boggling to me.  No, this doesn't compare to their peak 80's/90's stuff, but there's nothing as bad as NLOTH's trifecta (actually quadrilogy) of suck.  Even Yahweh, while banal, is more interesting sonically than, say, Crazy Tonight.

Otherwise, yes, I agree with you.  Not a great album, but not as terrible as some here like to say.

It was quite well received critically at the time of release...aside from awards I seem to remember critics liking the album.  It is an album that definitely fits into its time...many years on its easy to pick on the flaws, but there was a lot of excitement about this album at the time.

I also think the Vertigo tour was phenomenal.  I don't particularly like Vertigo the song, but the entire presentation on this tour was fantastic.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 06:29:51 AM by aviastar »

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • welp, looks like I'm not making it to 10k posts
COBL
Crumbs
Sometimes...

well, there you have it.

Offline hollywoodswag

• Wanderer
Vertigo, COBL, and ABOY for me. I actually love this album, and I like the power behind several of the songs. I like how it seems a bit stripped in terms of effects, going instead for simple, aggressive instrumentation on a few of its strongest numbers.

Spacejunk69

A very good album. Probably my 4th favorite.

1) Yahweh
2) Original Of The Species
3) City Of Blinding Lights

Its funny, and healthy for the band I guess that such a large fan base can have such a different view on their work. HTDMAAB is my least favorite U2 album, and these three songs are the worst on it for me.

LOL - Im glad you enjoy it TimmyB.

Offline Spaderholic

• Party Girl/Boy
Sometimes You Can't Make It, City Of Blinding Lights and Original Of The Species. Apart from these three songs and Vertigo I don't like the album at all. I think All Because Of You is probably U2's worst ever single!!! I so hope I like Songs Of Experience (whenever it's released!) as, apart from No Line On The Horizon I haven't really liked any of their albums since Pop, which saddens me, as I still adore the band and WANT to love their newer stuff. I just like the odd song here and there. I guess if I pick out selected tracks from each of their last 4 albums I could make 1 good album that I enjoy, including the excellent Electrical Storm (William Orbit version).

Offline benpoke

• Stateless
Crumbs, One Step and A Man and a Woman.  Looks like I'm in the minority there though!

Offline AchtungBabyU2

• Stranger in a Strange Land
City Of Blinding Lights

Skickat från min SM-G925F via Tapatalk

Offline Rasmus

• Stateless
Sometimes, City, Crumbs.

I like AMAAW too although people seem to dislike it for some reason. I never really listen to this album though and its probably my least favorite only ahead of No Line.

U2_One

City Of Blinding Lights
Crumbs From Your Table
Vertigo

Offline World71R

• Refugee
  • It's no secret ambition bites the nails of success
Ranking of the tracks based on the poll so far:

City of Blinding Lights
SYCMIOYO
Vertigo
Original of the Species
Miracle Drug
Crumbs From Your Table
One Step Closer
All Because of You
Love and Peace or Else
Yahweh
A Man and a Woman

Offline Nanda360

• Refugee
  • slow down child let me untie your lace
I simply love the Bomb and all B-Sides/reharsal products released thereafter. I'll go with Vertigo, City & OOTS.