Author Topic: Defiant Ones  (Read 736 times)

Offline The Wanderer

• Party Girl/Boy
  • U2360 Stage for Babies
Defiant Ones
« on: July 12, 2017, 02:19:12 PM »
Anyone watching the Defiant Ones documentary on HBO about Dr. Dre and Jimmy Iovine?  Lots of U2 discussion, particularly around Rattle and Hum.  Good stuff.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
Re: Defiant Ones
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2017, 02:20:24 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Anyone watching the Defiant Ones documentary on HBO about Dr. Dre and Jimmy Iovine?  Lots of U2 discussion, particularly around Rattle and Hum.  Good stuff.

Yep, one episode to go. So good.

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2017, 08:19:25 PM »
I watched episode 1 and liked it. Going to watch the other 3 when I get a chance.

Offline Blueyedboy

• Running to Stand Still
  • Embrace the challenge
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2017, 12:39:25 AM »
Cheers, that's tonight's viewing sorted.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2017, 12:59:03 PM »
VERY good and insightful in general. I love Petty, Bruce, and NWA so i enjoy all of it. I love the Sun Studios footage of U2 and them playing She's Gonna Blow Your House Down for Iovine.

Offline Blueyedboy

• Running to Stand Still
  • Embrace the challenge
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2017, 04:36:27 AM »
The biggest reveal for me was that I've been miss pronouncing Iovines surname for so long!

Great viewing, seems no-one in tent music industry gets to the top without drive and determination to accompany their talent.

Offline The Wanderer

• Party Girl/Boy
  • U2360 Stage for Babies
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2017, 09:45:54 AM »
When I see the old footage of Dr. Dre at the turntables, mixing a beat over Mr. Postman, I immediately thought that is what Bono is doing with snippets.  Taking the tune of one song and overlaying the lyrics of another.  Send on the Clowns/Electric Co is one of the earliest U2 examples I could think of. 

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2017, 07:54:22 AM »
Just finished the series last night.  Really interesting stuff, even if all of the footage of the super-rich music elite could be a tad off-putting after awhile.  She's Gonna Blow Your House Down, being written during the R&H filming, was really interesting.  There always seems like such a hard line between 80's and 90's U2, so it's fascinating when you see them working on "90's" material while still in their Stetsons and stuff.

Offline Blueyedboy

• Running to Stand Still
  • Embrace the challenge
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2017, 03:36:12 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Just finished the series last night.  Really interesting stuff, even if all of the footage of the super-rich music elite could be a tad off-putting after awhile.  She's Gonna Blow Your House Down, being written during the R&H filming, was really interesting.  There always seems like such a hard line between 80's and 90's U2, so it's fascinating when you see them working on "90's" material while still in their Stetsons and stuff.

The remixes started to surface in 88 and songs like God Pt II and Night and Day bridge the gap pretty well.  I think they were dreaming it all up again well before new years eve '89.

Offline Luzita

• Wanderer
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2017, 02:07:12 PM »
Just finished watching this. Loved all the U2 footage and Bono's commentary. Anyone notice -- it just flashed by -- that during Jimmy's 50th birthday party Bono and Ali were sitting at the table? I'm not into rap but that part of the story was interesting if tragic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk