Author Topic: Can U2 please be the first band....  (Read 1408 times)

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
Re: Can U2 please be the first band....
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2017, 06:49:20 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
to ban phones from gigs?

I don't mind taking pics etc. That's fine.

But, sweet Jesus....Why are you paying 100 quid or so to go to a gig and then film it and watch it through your phone?
It kills the atmosphere completely and looks stupid

Couldn't agree more. When Streets came on I told everyone to put their phones away!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unfortunately the sound was so bad by us that people clearly couldn't here you...

Interestingly enough, (not that I don't believe you, I do) a few comments I read elsewhere said the sound was spot on.
I know Twickenham has been dreadful for sound in the past (Vertigo 2005 anyone?) but, if that's the case, it must rival Croke Park as a s***hole for sound

I assume you have also read the comments (including on this forum) that say the sound was sh**e?..

Stadiums - varying sound, varying experiences...something i mentioned in my show review and a big reason why i have been very unsure about going to any more.....although your lad Mr Gallagher sounded boss to be fair.

As for Croker - i went to the opening night of 360 and the sound was at times dreadful....i am sure the open hill 16 is a big reason.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 06:55:05 AM by an tha »

Offline kitanet

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2017, 09:26:12 AM »
to ban phones from gigs?

But, sweet Jesus....Why are you paying 100 quid or so to go to a gig and then film it and watch it through your phone?

They should adopt the Cuts solution

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Offline xy

• Child of Grace
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2017, 10:05:53 AM »
Eh, the technology's there...what's the point in railing against it ? We've all taken pics at gigs at one point or another. No one's banned it from the shows I've seen except Prince - then again he also spent time suing his own fans. To me it's a souvenir from the show just as much as a T-shirt or a ticket stub.

Full song filming is another matter and is annoying. Personally, I never do that, maybe a 20 sec or so "mini movie", yes, but not a full song. I resent the ones that shove others around in their excitement. Got my foot stepped on and elbowed recently at Guns n Roses, despite there being a empty seat between me and the perpetrator ! Sing, jump around etc but please consider others.

Offline ZEROpartII

• Child of Grace
Can U2 please be the first band....
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2017, 11:03:24 AM »
It sucks, but there is no putting the Genie back in the bottle

Offline Silver Lining

• Refugee
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2017, 02:24:24 PM »
If there was a way to effectively ban using phones to film etc I would be all for it. Thankfully at Twickenham on Sunday I was lucky enough to not be surrounded by obsessive filmers, which made for a much better atmosphere. These days that is so unusual though - especially down near the front.

There's nothing wrong with taking a few snaps - I do that myself - but spending the entire night watching it on a screen? I don't get it!

I saw Mark Knopfler a few years ago who had a "no phones" policy, that he enforced by glaring and pointing at anyone who dared get one out. They soon put them away again, though it did create a slightly weird / grumpy atmosphere.

It seems some bands attract more filmers than others. The Levellers last year had nobody trying to film at all, and it had a proper old school gig atmosphere as a result - I'd almost forgotten how good that is. Not that they tried banning them, just everyone there was enjoying the moment.

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
  • I know that this is not goodbye, my forum friends!
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2017, 02:31:17 PM »
This thread makes me think that I'm the only person in the world that doesn't have a phone that can take pictures.  :(
Well, at least you don't have to worry about me waving my phone in your faces!

Offline the_chief

• Refugee
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2017, 08:37:05 PM »
Eh, the technology's there...what's the point in railing against it ? We've all taken pics at gigs at one point or another. No one's banned it from the shows I've seen except Prince - then again he also spent time suing his own fans. To me it's a souvenir from the show just as much as a T-shirt or a ticket stub.

Full song filming is another matter and is annoying. Personally, I never do that, maybe a 20 sec or so "mini movie", yes, but not a full song. I resent the ones that shove others around in their excitement. Got my foot stepped on and elbowed recently at Guns n Roses, despite there being a empty seat between me and the perpetrator ! Sing, jump around etc but please consider others.

Riiiiiight

Gonna assume you didn't attend this gig then....

Offline the_chief

• Refugee
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2017, 08:39:16 PM »
to ban phones from gigs?

Couldn't agree more. When Streets came on I told everyone to put their phones away!

Unfortunately the sound was so bad by us that people clearly couldn't here you...

Interestingly enough, (not that I don't believe you, I do) a few comments I read elsewhere said the sound was spot on.
I know Twickenham has been dreadful for sound in the past (Vertigo 2005 anyone?) but, if that's the case, it must rival Croke Park as a s***hole for sound

I assume you have also read the comments (including on this forum) that say the sound was sh**e?..

Stadiums - varying sound, varying experiences...something i mentioned in my show review and a big reason why i have been very unsure about going to any more.....although your lad Mr Gallagher sounded boss to be fair.

As for Croker - i went to the opening night of 360 and the sound was at times dreadful....i am sure the open hill 16 is a big reason.

I have and believe you completely.
I just find it fascinating so many different reports over the last 10 or 20 years. Not just U2 btw

Nah think it's something else

Offline xy

• Child of Grace
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2017, 09:22:47 AM »

Riiiiiight

1987 gig is relevant to phones at gigs how exactly ?

And I still stand by what I said, excessive jumping around that results into shoving/pushing others is lame.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2017, 09:25:03 AM »

Riiiiiight

And I still stand by what I said, excessive jumping around that results into shoving/pushing others is lame.

You not a fan of moshpits then i take it!

Offline the_chief

• Refugee
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2017, 07:51:07 PM »

Riiiiiight

Yep....We all must stand together and politely clap....

No offence but, jog on! :D

Offline xy

• Child of Grace
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2017, 12:52:06 AM »
Yes, because that's totally what I was saying.

Move along now...

Offline Gavin82

• Refugee
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2017, 03:17:11 AM »
What are people saying NOT too jump around in the pit..?? LOLS LOLS LOLS take the seats then i was @ DC last year in the pit & these 3 fat cockney telly tubbys tried too stop people jumping around & didn't want anyone stood nx too them etc

They got FCUKED OFF BIG TIME BY ME & OTHERS

Can you imagine signs every where please NO jumping around in the pit please

Offline barbiemom4

• Wanderer
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2017, 10:08:30 PM »
 I totally agree there is excessive phone use.I take a couple shots ,maybe 5 second clip of song but feel guilty even doing that.I love being in the awesome moment at the concert and i do think the band does notice when you are actually watching them verus throgh a phone.I attended a bob dylan concert last year and signs clearly said no photographs,even though the people next to me were doing it and calling out his name and being very obvious about it.Security didnt stop them,i was tempted to take a pic or two,it being my first time seeing Bob dylan.If you are gonna watch the whole show through phone,should just watch it at home,unless of course you are a pro being paid by the band or press.It does take away from the togetherness feeling plus having your phone in someone elses sightline is not cool.

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2017, 01:28:09 AM »
I've been to dozens of concerts in the pit, ranging from U2 to hard rock bands.

1) jumping around is fine
2) singing your heart out is fine
3) taking the occasional photo or short video clip is fine
4) shoving/pushing others is NOT fine
5) getting too excited and accidentally bumping into someone is fine...just don't make a habit of it

Maybe it's different in other countries at concerts, but here in America there's nothing more annoying than being constantly shoved/pushed into. It's crowded, sure, but there's no excuse for not being in control of your own body and respecting others space. I just had it happen to me at my last U2 concert because a drunk fan was trying to get closer to the stage. She chose to constantly push into me/bump me for a solid 20 minutes, leading all the way up to 5 minutes into the show. It certainly upset me and nearly ruined what was ultimately a good experience. She then proceeded to do the same to a couple other fans after I had moved away from her.

Point is, your enjoyment of the concert shouldn't ruin others' enjoyment of it. Be respectful of the fact that other fans paid just as much (if not more) as you to be there. It's not all about you.

That especially goes for things like filming/taking pictures. I work in the IT field and am naturally gadget obsessed. Back when I first started going to concerts, I was one of those annoying "video record most songs and take hundreds of pictures" people. I quickly found that it kept me from fully being in the moment and then I also considered the fact that it may be annoying to those around me.

So I changed my ways. I now pull my camera out to take 10 seconds of quick pictures every couple of songs. Then it gets put away so that I can focus on the show itself. I don't film more than 10-20 seconds of a song, if that. I never use flash (out of respect of the artists themselves as well as the fans) and I try to make sure I'm not blocking anyone's view. The end result is I get dozens of great photos to remember the night by, all while being in the moment 99% of the show. It's awesome.

I'm totally against the idea of completely banning phones/cameras, as annoying as constant filmers are. It's too authoritarian and for how much we pay to attend concerts, we should have the right to take some photos to remember the experience by. Perhaps a better solution would be to have more security politely warning people to not constantly film/take photos and to film the concert and make it available to fans for purchase afterwards? A band like U2 could easily do this, and even smaller bands could use a relatively inexpensive HD camcorder to record the thing. If people know they'll be able to get a way better quality version of the show afterwards, they have less incentive to film it themselves.