Author Topic: No line of the Horizon  (Read 879 times)

Offline Allhorizonbomb

• Wanderer
  • Self proclaimed biggest U2 fan in New York State
No line of the Horizon
« on: July 13, 2017, 09:57:51 AM »
While this album is technically their second newest it seems all but forgotten becuase of lack of live performances. Should it be forgotten or is it a under appreciated classic. Personally I think it's their best, and it's the only reason I'm a U2 fan, but I'm curious to hear other reactions to the album now 8 years removed.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
Re: No line of the Horizon
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2017, 10:01:10 AM »
Their worst album by far.

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2017, 10:12:17 AM »
Some of their best music in 20 years but it's uneven and resulted in a disjointed album. Could have been a classic.

Offline ShankAsu

• Child of Grace
  • Can't fight for s---, but sure can take a beating
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2017, 11:24:08 AM »
Its my least favorite album.  I try to go back and listen to it, hoping it would grow on me, but after the opening track i just can't bear it.  I've forgotten this album.  I still have a giant eyesore of a deluxe edition sitting on my U2 shelf collecting dust.

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2017, 11:31:47 AM »
There are some high highs, but extremely low lows.

Offline aviastar

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Feel like trash...you make me feel clean
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2017, 11:39:24 AM »
Cedars of Lebanon is in my top 10 of U2 songs.  Breathe is probably in my top 50.  I like NLOTH (song), Mags, MOS, UC, and Fez-Born.  White as Snow is decent.  I don't like Crazy, Boots, or SUC.  I can still really like an album where I don't like three of the songs, but the sequencing of them consecutively sucks the middle out of this album for me.

I see it as an unfinished mess of a record with real flashes of brilliance.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2017, 11:41:47 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Its my least favorite album.  I try to go back and listen to it, hoping it would grow on me, but after the opening track i just can't bear it.  I've forgotten this album.  I still have a giant eyesore of a deluxe edition sitting on my U2 shelf collecting dust.

It's funny, when this came out, somehow I was thinking to myself: "no new album can be worth a $100 deluxe set."  For a classic album you've grown to love, sure.  I've gotten them for AB, at least three deluxe Pink Floyd sets, etc.  So I just bought the basic album.  I even came across one of the deluxe sets for like half off, and still didn't go for it.

Offline davis

• Wanderer
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2017, 11:48:04 AM »
It's 2/3 brilliant with a glaringly terrible three songs in the middle that ruin the flow of what would otherwise have been a very interesting, compelling album. 

Offline Vox

• Running to Stand Still
  • Time is irrelevant, it's not linear.
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2017, 12:00:21 PM »
One of my favorite albums, after Achtung Baby and Joshua Tree.   No Line on the Horizon typically battles it out with Zooropa and The Unforgettable Fire for spots 3-through-5 in my U2antheon. 

I must have listened to parts of it nearly every day for two years after its release.   I’ve barely listened to any of Songs of Innocence since December ’14.  I know a lot of people dig SOI and slag NLOTH.  And that’s okay – different strokes, you know?  It’s still by go-to morning album. 

But live?  I think it’s more of a listen-with-your-headphones type album.  Sure, “Magnificent,” “Moment of Surrender,” and “Get on Your Boots” were pretty good live.  But my personal favorite from the album, the title track, was, in my opinion, not good live – at least the way U2 did it. 

So – I’m glad to see another fan of the album.  I think when it’s all said and done, people will look back at this as “an overlooked gem,” or something of that nature.  It speaks to me a on a societal and spiritual level that no other piece of music does.  Someday on this message board, I want to write an ode to the album and how deeply it’s touched me and how much it means to me.  But eight years later, I still don’t think I could articulate it properly.   I know I’m in the minority here.  Don’t care. 

Offline achtung child

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2017, 07:48:11 PM »
Their last effort at going back to being "innovative", and arguably when the splits in the seams began to embarrassingly surface.  I think what makes it disappointing is the fact they spent five years on this record, and this is the best they came up with.  I give it a B or B+ for the thought, but D- on execution.  GYOB and the f*ckin' "Claw" (aka Bono's mid-life crisis Porsche) are what ruined any memory of this album for me.  The title and cover art for the album is also awful.  It sums up the entire nature of everything that proceeds upon listening. It sounds and feels like an album cut and pasted with six different people on a Mac with pro tools.  They might as well have named it "Titanic". 

The whole packaging screams of the interesting progressive MOR schlock Sting specializes in these days - and everything this band supposedly hates.  It also dawned the beginning of their "legacy act" phase.  Because the single failed horribly, and the album sold slowly, they were forced to rebrand the tour as a specialty tour - hence "360".  They started out opening the show with 4 or 5 new songs, but as the tour progressed there were fewer and fewer new songs until it became the Achtung Baby revival.  I'm not sure what could have saved this album.  There are a couple great songs I get fond of occasionally, but it ends quick.  This one is at the bottom of the bucket for me. 
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 12:52:45 AM by achtung child »

Offline Blueyedboy

• Running to Stand Still
  • Embrace the challenge
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2017, 11:01:05 PM »
Their last effort at going back to being "innovative".  I think what makes it disappointing is the fact they spent five years on this record, and this is the best they came up with.  I give it a B or B+ for the thought, but D- on execution.  GYOB and the f*ckin' "Claw" (aka Bono's mid-life crisis Porsche) are what ruined any memory of this album for me.  The title and cover art for the album is also awful.  It sums up the entire nature of everything that proceeds upon listening. It sounds and feels like an album cut and pasted with six different people on a Mac with pro tools.  They might as well have named it "Titanic". 

The whole packaging screams of the interesting progressive MOR schlock Sting specializes in these days - and everything this band supposedly hates.  It also dawned the beginning of their "legacy act" phase.  Because the single failed horribly, and the album sold slowly, they were forced to rebrand the tour as a specialty tour - hence "360".  They started out opening the show with 4 or 5 new songs, but as the tour progressed there fewer and fewer new songs until it became the Achtung Baby revival.  I'm not sure what could have saved this album.  There are a couple great songs I get fond of occasionally, but it ends quick.  This one is at the bottom of the bucket for me.

If ever there was a case for not touring an album then this was it. The album is almost great, but feels as though it compramises innovation in exchange for radio and stadium friendly material.

Offline sulphur76

• Refugee
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2017, 06:52:57 AM »
There is a great album in there somewhere, they just didn't put it out. The early rehearsals that were recorded and released on that documentary have a lot of promise. Eno wasn't a fan of what they eventually put out either, saying the best stuff was left on the floor. I would love to hear his version of the album (just like I would love to hear DM's version of SOI). I'm sure both versions are superior.

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2017, 06:54:31 AM »
Their last effort at going back to being "innovative", and arguably when the splits in the seams began to embarrassingly surface.  I think what makes it disappointing is the fact they spent five years on this record, and this is the best they came up with.  I give it a B or B+ for the thought, but D- on execution.  GYOB and the f*ckin' "Claw" (aka Bono's mid-life crisis Porsche) are what ruined any memory of this album for me.  The title and cover art for the album is also awful.  It sums up the entire nature of everything that proceeds upon listening. It sounds and feels like an album cut and pasted with six different people on a Mac with pro tools.  They might as well have named it "Titanic". 

The whole packaging screams of the interesting progressive MOR schlock Sting specializes in these days - and everything this band supposedly hates.  It also dawned the beginning of their "legacy act" phase.  Because the single failed horribly, and the album sold slowly, they were forced to rebrand the tour as a specialty tour - hence "360".  They started out opening the show with 4 or 5 new songs, but as the tour progressed there were fewer and fewer new songs until it became the Achtung Baby revival.  I'm not sure what could have saved this album.  There are a couple great songs I get fond of occasionally, but it ends quick.  This one is at the bottom of the bucket for me.

Soon/Kingdom of your love
NLOTH2
Winter

Replace the middle 3 with these and you'd have a solid album. I do like Crazy though I must admit.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2017, 08:39:05 AM »
How Crazy Tonight ends up on NLOTH and Winter does not for me sums up post Pop U2 perfectly.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2017, 10:55:36 AM »

Interesting thoughts, I largely concur.

There was such a massive disconnect for me between the album and the tour (which I saw in all 3 of its iterations: Vancouver, Paris, Seattle). The lead-up to the album had me expecting a virtual snake-charming audio feast (if Lanois was to be believed). Now we all know the story of the album being pulled at the last minute in '08 and being reworked into what we got a few months later, but even the version we ended up getting had a TON of experimentation. Fez harkened back to Zooropa sonically, Breathe, although I hate it, was one of the ballsiest and unconventional songs they've done since Acrobat, etc.

Post NLOTH pre-360, I felt like this album should be toured in small venues like theaters/amphitheaters, and attention should be paid to the Moroccan vibes that distinguish it from U2's previous output. Then they announced the "Kiss the Future Tour," only to retract that and change it to 360, which was the first time a tour was deliberately disassociated from the album it was supposedly supporting. Then when the tour actually started I was disappointed. The earliest shows featured (wait for it) TWO songs from the '90s, total. Dafuq? But we got 7 NLOTH songs, but those were underwhelming and slowly jettisoned.

Perhaps where I disagree is that I actually think the album's artwork matches the (better) songs. The problem, of course, is that U2 tends to view their most interesting songs as mere filler, so by the time the Claw emerged any connection to the album, the good songs on it, was gone.

Bay of Cadiz and ferry home
Atlantic sea, cut glass
African sun at last

Yeah, didn't get that vibe from the tour. The tour was about space, FFS.