Author Topic: No line of the Horizon  (Read 624 times)

Offline trevgreg

• Running to Stand Still
Re: No line of the Horizon
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2017, 11:09:15 AM »
1/3 was quite good, 1/3 was middle of the road, and 1/3 was quite dull and boring. I only really came out of the first week listening to 3-4 songs consistently after that, which wouldn't have been too bad except for the 5+ year wait for a follow-up.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
They started out opening the show with 4 or 5 new songs, but as the tour progressed there were fewer and fewer new songs until it became the Achtung Baby revival.

It was also over two years since they album came out and they were still playing 3-4 each night, so I'm not quite sure that'd be "legacy" qualifying there. On top of that, if they didn't change anything up, the complaints about "same ol, same ol" would've been the ones popping up then.

Cedars of Lebanon is in my top 10 of U2 songs.

Cedars is an actual "song"?  ??? Not hearing much in terms of actual music or melodies there...
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 11:12:09 AM by trevgreg »

Offline blovesu2

• Babyface
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2017, 12:38:32 PM »
For me, any album containing Magnificent, Moment of Surrender and White as Snow is forgiven for its "clunky" mid section. Those three songs for me are some of U2's finest work. No Line, Cedars, Breathe, Unknown Caller are also memorable tracks for me. I love this album.

Offline DisgruntledSherpa

• Babyface
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2017, 12:40:02 PM »
Breathe is incredible. Should've been the lead single.

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2017, 01:32:18 PM »
Love, love, love this album.  This one actually seems to be the one I go back to most often.  So many underrated gems.

Offline Spacejunk69

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2017, 02:43:20 PM »
The U2 album with ridiculous highs and lows, differences in quality.

Take off Boots, SUC and Crazy, and put in Soon and Winter (linear) and you have a semi decent album.

Offline Smee

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Im Eddie and im a Monkey
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2017, 09:16:57 AM »
There are some high highs, but extremely low lows.

This pretty much sums up my feelings of the album. Happy to say tho...the highs largely outnumber the lows

Offline World71R

• Stateless
  • It's no secret ambition bites the nails of success
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2017, 09:03:09 PM »
The U2 album with ridiculous highs and lows, differences in quality.

Take off Boots, SUC and Crazy, and put in Soon and Winter (linear) and you have a semi decent album.

Totally agreed. Even just taking out Boots and Crazy with no replacements would make it better, but putting in Soon and Winter would make the album much better.

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
  • I'm a long way from your hill of calvary
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2017, 11:23:41 PM »
How Crazy Tonight ends up on NLOTH and Winter does not for me sums up post Pop U2 perfectly.

Totally agree.....although I do think the funky live version of crazy tonight is so bad it's good. Winter, stingray, soon, and the more experimental African sounds we hear in the studio leaks would have made this a better record, and dropping SUC, GOYB and crazy tonight would have made it a classic.