Poll

What is the best song on "All That You Can't Leave Behind"? 11-Track version (Pick 3 nominees)

Beautiful Day
41 (20.6%)
Stuck In a Moment You Can't Get Out Of
15 (7.5%)
Elevation
9 (4.5%)
Walk On
33 (16.6%)
Kite
44 (22.1%)
In A Little While
21 (10.6%)
Wild Honey
3 (1.5%)
Peace On Earth
0 (0%)
When I Look At the World
15 (7.5%)
New York
13 (6.5%)
Grace
5 (2.5%)

Total Members Voted: 68

Author Topic: What is the best song on "All That You Can't Leave Behind"? (Pick 3 nominees)  (Read 534 times)

Offline ZEROpartII

• Staring at the Sun
Next album going back in time.

For me.

1. Beautiful Day - Classic meshing of all U2 sounds that came before. Landmark track.

2. Elevation - Best U2 pop song along with Sweetest Thing. Underrated bridge.

3. Stuck - by default. Kinda stale now. But is Universally cathartic and creative at the same time.

Offline riffraff

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Hold on to love, love won't let you go...
Beautiful Day
Stuck
Kite
I was really torn between choosing Kite and Elevation...

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
1. Kite
2. New York

Offline hollywoodswag

• Babyface
1. Elevation

2. Beautiful Day

3. Kite

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • Been around the back, Been around the front.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
1. Kite
2. New York

Haha, me too! Couldn't find a 3rd that I like (and I barely like NY).

Offline ShankAsu

• Child of Grace
  • Can't fight for s---, but sure can take a beating
Kite
In A Little While
Beautiful Day

Stuck In  A Moment is right up there with Vertigo for songs that I can't stand (although i partially blame the horrible US music video where U2 is reduced to a story about a football kicker), and Elevation is right behind them.  New York for me is pure drivel- they should really stop doing songs about US cities.  I'm surprised how some of the songs have grown on me over time even though I still realize there's nothing really special about them like there is for about most u2 songs.  All in all, i don't listen to this album a whole lot.

Offline Spacejunk69

• Party Girl/Boy
Grace
Wild Honey
Kite

Offline aviastar

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • Feel like trash...you make me feel clean
1) Kite
2) When I Look At the World <-- I love Edge's solo in this song.
3) Walk On

Honorable mentions: In A Little While (4), Elevation (5) , BD (6)

This is a U2 album I rarely come back to, but I really like Kite.

Offline rubbersoul

• Running to Stand Still
Kite
In A Little While
Grace

Offline ZEROpartII

• Staring at the Sun
Confession: Kite doesn't really do it for me at all.  Nice in the context of the album though.

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
1. Kite
2. New York

Haha, me too! Couldn't find a 3rd that I like (and I barely like NY).

In New York freedom looks like
Too many little choices
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 11:09:13 PM by WookieeWarrior10 »

Offline Spaderholic

• Intellectual Tortoise
Stuck In A Moment, Elevation and Walk On. Beautiful Day isn't bad but I've never been that crazy about it. To be honest the only song I REALLY like on this album is Walk On. It's probably my least favourite U2 album.

Offline aviastar

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • Feel like trash...you make me feel clean
Confession: Kite doesn't really do it for me at all.  Nice in the context of the album though.

It's not for everyone.  I think the live performance of it at slane really clinches it for me.  But I feel like the last four lines of the song are out of place "last of the rock/opera stars....when hip hop drove the big cars...and the time when new media...was the big idea."  I am not sure how it fits in with the rest of the song.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline ZEROpartII

• Staring at the Sun
Will Peace on Earth get a piece of vote?

Offline DK46

• Refugee
Ahh, my first U2 album and the one that got me into them.  I do have some memories associated with it, but it's certainly not my favorite album of theirs.  That said, I can't quite bring myself to hate it. 

On another level, the Elevation Tour was pretty good.  Stripped down, but the performances from what I've seen (didn't see it live), were pretty on point.  There was certainly a level of passion and energy there.  Also, these songs took on a new meaning post 9/11 and from what I've read and heard from people who saw them after 9/11, it was quite an emotional evening (especially those MSG gigs).

Anyway, I chose Walk On, In A Little While and Grace.  I like the blue eyed soul of In A Little While and it's got a very catchy riff.  Walk On is typical anthem mode for U2, but it does its job.  Grace is pretty, very simple and minimalist.   

As for the rest, well Elevation is beyond stupid, but it's catchy enough and better than when U2 tried to rehash it with Vertigo and GOYB (still the beginning of the end in many ways).  Beautiful Day definitely gave them another chance in a new decade.  It's not my favorite, but it's alright.  Peace On Earth is the one song that really doesn't do much for me, just kinda meanders and feels unfinished to me.  Kite is fine.  And yes, I can stomach New York, Wild Honey (loved it as a kid), Stuck In a Moment, and When I Look at the World (nice solo from Edge). 

I don't listen to the album much, but every now and then, it comes up and I can take it.  Between this and HTDAAB, I'll pick this every time...easily.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 08:34:08 PM by DK46 »