Poll

What is the best song on "All That You Can't Leave Behind"? 11-Track version (Pick 3 nominees)

Beautiful Day
41 (20.6%)
Stuck In a Moment You Can't Get Out Of
15 (7.5%)
Elevation
9 (4.5%)
Walk On
33 (16.6%)
Kite
44 (22.1%)
In A Little While
21 (10.6%)
Wild Honey
3 (1.5%)
Peace On Earth
0 (0%)
When I Look At the World
15 (7.5%)
New York
13 (6.5%)
Grace
5 (2.5%)

Total Members Voted: 68

Author Topic: What is the best song on "All That You Can't Leave Behind"? (Pick 3 nominees)  (Read 528 times)

Offline benpoke

• Stateless
This is the only U2 album where I genuinely can't get excited about three songs.

At a push, I went for Walk On, Kite and New York.

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Running to Stand Still
I chose "Walk On", "Kite" and "Elevation".  I remember when the album was released I would listen to "Walk On" every day driving in to work.  The lyrics to this one are quite inspirational.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline riffraff

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Hold on to love, love won't let you go...
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

not that there's anything wrong with that...

Offline DK46

• Refugee
I might add pick Ground Beneath Her Feet, but that doesn't count, despite appearing on certain editions of the album.  What always puzzled and fascinated me was that in 2000, U2 produced music that resulted in ATYCLB and the MDH soundtrack, yet the latter was vastly superior. 

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
I might add pick Ground Beneath Her Feet, but that doesn't count, despite appearing on certain editions of the album.  What always puzzled and fascinated me was that in 2000, U2 produced music that resulted in ATYCLB and the MDH soundtrack, yet the latter was vastly superior.

All down to u2 trying to write songs to 're-apply for the job' where they were consciously trying to appeal to the masses and in particular the masses in america with ATYCLB versus writing songs that they were writing without any of that in mind....

The results speak for themselves...
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 05:44:12 AM by an tha »

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
There's some very good songs on this album so it's hard to choose - it's a very strong album, one of U2's best.   Did the songs have mass appeal?  Probably did, but I'm not a snob about the public. 

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
I went with:

Kite
New York
Stuck in a Moment

The first two are the real highlights for me.  The third is a bit of a reach, but I think Stuck is actually a solid, effective song.  The end, when Edge takes the vocal, is a really nice moment.

Offline DK46

• Refugee

All down to u2 trying to write songs to 're-apply for the job' where they were consciously trying to appeal to the masses and in particular the masses in america with ATYCLB versus writing songs that they were writing without any of that in mind....

Sounds about right.

Offline ZEROpartII

• Staring at the Sun
ATYCLB >>> HTDAAB

The 2nd half is somewhat gossamer, but it all gels together.  There are songs that do absolutely nothing for me individually, but on a full album listen fit beautifully.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ShankAsu

• Child of Grace
  • Can't fight for s---, but sure can take a beating

Sounds about right.
worth a note that the lyrics for TGBHF are credited to Salman Rushdie as they are taken from his novel of the same name.

Online World71R

• Stateless
  • It's no secret ambition bites the nails of success
Kite, Walk On, Beautiful Day.

Pretty good trio of songs right there.

Offline Rasmus

• Wanderer
Kite
In A Little While
When I Look at the World

I have always liked the album although I still think it suffers from a bit boring production. The Elevation Tour was amazing - my favorite live period of the band.

Offline U2_One

• Refugee
  • You Miss Too Much These Days If You Stop To Think
Walk On
New York
When I Look At The World

Online World71R

• Stateless
  • It's no secret ambition bites the nails of success
Ranking of the tracks based on the votes so far:

Kite
Beautiful Day