Author Topic: The Fly - Boston  (Read 1529 times)

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
Re: The Fly - Boston
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2017, 01:03:13 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
One of my favorite recorded performances of theirs of any song. Edge continung to play his riff through the verses, Bono not playing guitar, and getting rid of the falsetto made it the darkest, most intense versin of the song by far. This is probably the single recording Id choose if I had to make the argument that U2 is a rock band.

That is a good point about the falsetto.....for me whilst it works perfectly on record it is less potent live and there is an added intensity/darkness with its removal.

Offline DerekBarnett

• Babyface
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2017, 10:27:08 AM »
I was at that show. It was the only time I won tickets in my life on a radio station. Was directly against the front rail in between Bono and the Edge. I'm actually in the opening as Bono walks on stage with the camera glasses. Unbelievable night.

That version of the Fly was and still is my favorite version. Partly because I was there but partly because the energy all 4 gave for that song. Amazing.

Offline the_chief

• Refugee
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2017, 11:30:05 AM »
They had a point to prove on that tour.

The only thing since that performance of The Fly, that has come close to the energy of it, has been IWF, OOC, Electric Co, Zoo Station on the last tour and Gloria

Why that is I don't know. Still great shows though btw

Offline Spaderholic

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2017, 05:19:52 PM »
Really great version. One of my favourite songs from one of my all-time favourite albums anyway but I especially love this live performance of it. Really fired up.

Wasn't this gig the one where some fans had some kind of crazy sit-down protest or something, that I read about, or am I getting mixed up with another tour?

Offline DoYouFeelLoved

• Refugee
  • Holy Dunc Space Junk
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2017, 08:54:09 AM »
Really great version. One of my favourite songs from one of my all-time favourite albums anyway but I especially love this live performance of it. Really fired up.

Wasn't this gig the one where some fans had some kind of crazy sit-down protest or something, that I read about, or am I getting mixed up with another tour?
It was indeed during Elevation Tour.

If I'm not wrong there was a group of fans sitting down for most part of the show.

They were protesting cause, in their words, the band was allowing certain habitual concertgoers to skip the queue and stay upfront instead of them.

I don't remember the details though

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2017, 09:20:55 AM »

It was indeed during Elevation Tour.

If I'm not wrong there was a group of fans sitting down for most part of the show.

They were protesting cause, in their words, the band was allowing certain habitual concertgoers to skip the queue and stay upfront instead of them.

I don't remember the details though

No, it was that certain concert-goers were selected to be close to the stage for the filming of the video, at the expense of others who had waited in line longer and been seen at the front for several shows.

Offline MEMORY_MAN

• Party Girl/Boy
  • I must follow the path to the endless road...
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2017, 10:22:16 AM »
I absolutely LOVE this version!  I have found memories of my father (no longer with us) dancing around the room and cracking up when Bono became the fly on the wall on the screen.  So much energy on this version.  It is the best version of the Fly there is.  Hope some day they bring it back.  Thanks for this discussion.  Love it.

Offline redsheep

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2017, 01:24:24 PM »

'In a little while' as the prequel makes it even better.

Offline Spaderholic

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2017, 03:04:18 PM »
Ah yes, I thought it was that tour. If it was during that actual performance maybe the fans that were sitting down made the band angry and that, in turn, fired them up to give a more frenetic, edgy performance! Lol I too love the "Fly" Bono "stuck" to the wall! :)

Offline Doc_Holiday

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2017, 03:16:23 PM »
This version is godlike... That intro is magical

Offline Blueyedboy

• Running to Stand Still
  • Embrace the challenge
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2017, 11:34:17 PM »
They played 2 shows in Manchester on this tour, the Fly was played in the first show but not the second. Guess which one I attended.  :-\

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
The Fly - Boston
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2017, 02:48:34 AM »
I think the version from Glastonbury is better. The solo is better, it has a more frenetic pace, its more like the original. The Boston version reminds me of how Slash would play the song not that that's a bad thing but the Glastonbury version is far superior to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 02:54:27 AM by eddyjedi »

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2017, 04:04:55 AM »
Just can't buy that Glasto version is better at all.

I find that performance is flat sonically until it picks up to be fair from halfway until the end but still it just does not reach as high as Boston.

As for being more 'frenetic' - sorry but I can't buy that at all...just about everything about it is for me inferior to Boston from Bono's awkward looking pointless Guitar 'playing' to his delivery....to Edge's solo and verse work.....to the difference in punch and kick from the rhythm section and just the overall intensity - as well as the drama of the performance.

But to each their own of course - it is different opinions that make the board interesting.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 04:12:21 AM by an tha »

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2017, 05:19:55 AM »

I find that performance is flat sonically until it picks up to be fair from halfway until the end but still it just does not reach as high as Boston.

As for being more 'frenetic' - sorry but I can't buy that at all...just about everything about it is for me inferior to Boston from Bono's awkward looking pointless Guitar 'playing' to his delivery....to Edge's solo and verse work.....to the difference in punch and kick from the rhythm section and just the overall intensity - as well as the drama of the performance.

But to each their own of course - it is different opinions that make the board interesting.

The song sounds so much rawer in the Glasto version for a start, way better for me.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2017, 10:42:38 AM »

The song sounds so much rawer in the Glasto version for a start, way better for me.

What you call raw i hear as flat....it picks up as it goes to be fair...but as I have already acknowledged it is all about differing opinions and is subjective.