Author Topic: Is Edge's solo voice strong enough to fill a stadium?  (Read 721 times)

Offline DoYouFeelLoved

• Refugee
  • Holy Dunc Space Junk
Re: Is Edge's solo voice strong enough to fill a stadium?
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2017, 11:45:15 AM »
Edge doesn't have the stereotypical "rock'n'roll" voice: he has a good range, above 2 octaves, if we consider the lowest note on Numb and the highest on Last Night On Earth, but he would struggle if he had to sing an energetic uptempo song.

His voice doesn't have the grit ("raspiness"), power and depth it takes to pull it off.

He really shines in slow, somber tunes, like Van Diemen's Land and Love Is Blindness, where his soft, dreamy voice finds its natural place.

Offline Jdelbove

• Babyface
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2017, 11:53:32 AM »
Does anyone know Bono's range?  His range and how many octaves?

Offline DoYouFeelLoved

• Refugee
  • Holy Dunc Space Junk
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2017, 12:58:22 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I believe at the time of TJT his range well above 2 octaves, but it's quite hard to tell with extreme precision.

The highest recorded note is the "wide awake" part on Bad (C#5), the lowest off top of the head is on New York (G2).

So yeah, judging from these, 80's Bono must've had a range of at least 2 octaves and a half.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 01:05:09 PM by DoYouFeelLoved »

Offline skelter

• Running to Stand Still
  • Drowning is no sin
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2017, 05:36:30 PM »
Thanks everyone for the thoughtful responses. I agree with it all  ;D
Honestly, I'm conflicted on Edge's voice. Of course it isn't awful, it's very pleasing. And I guess my question is stupid. He is better singing in harmony with Bono, which is what they are doing to great success. This ain't like the Eagles where band members take turns on lead.

- Cons: Edge's singing voice could be like the "Siri" of singing voices. Perfect pitch but too pure and characterless. I shudder to say this, but eg. teen Shawn Mendes who I hear on the radio has a more interesting voice.

- Pros: When Edge sings it makes U2 songs 200% better, 200% more memorable. Edge is louder in the mix in live performances. As such, I love Invisible live more (Edge: "I am not INVISIBLE") and that ASOH clip I linked in 1st post.

Also, Edge's voice is more technical sound than Bono imo. Edge's voice doesn't crack or have "off days"/"off songs". I also believed Edge to have a wider range currently. Eg: Bono can't do the falsetto much anymore on Lemon and Sometimes (You Can't Make It), but Edge is still rocking his backing falsettos. My fave is 2nd verse of The Little Things, Edge's falsetto adds an extra spirituality/weight (??) to that verse.

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • A-B-C, easy as 1-2-3
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2017, 05:58:10 PM »
I believe at the time of TJT his range well above 2 octaves, but it's quite hard to tell with extreme precision.

highest recorded note is the "wide awake" part on Bad (C#5), the lowest off top of the head is on New York (G2).

"Night and Day" - a G 3 whole tones above that high C#
"Heartland" - an F 2 whole tones above that C#.
"Elevation" - an E 1-1/2 tones above that C#.
"The Unforgettable Fire" - a D 1 semitone above that C#

...and, if you wanna talk about live performance, find the performance of "Bad" from the Giants Stadium show on the Conspiracy of Hope tour. Bono hits an A-flat 1 semitone above the G in NaD...and he hits it LOUD.

Offline DK46

• Refugee
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2017, 08:14:17 PM »
I could be wrong, so please correct me of course, but what about that note Bono hits at 1:32 in Wire?  Not sure if it's his highest, but its gotta be up there. 

Offline DoYouFeelLoved

• Refugee
  • Holy Dunc Space Junk
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2017, 10:29:25 AM »

highest recorded note is the "wide awake" part on Bad (C#5), the lowest off top of the head is on New York (G2).

"Night and Day" - a G 3 whole tones above that high C#
"Heartland" - an F 2 whole tones above that C#.
"Elevation" - an E 1-1/2 tones above that C#.
"The Unforgettable Fire" - a D 1 semitone above that C#

...and, if you wanna talk about live performance, find the performance of "Bad" from the Giants Stadium show on the Conspiracy of Hope tour. Bono hits an A-flat 1 semitone above the G in NaD...and he hits it LOUD.

Falsetto doesn't count, only full voice counts when measuring vocal range.
So Heartland, TUF and Elevation are not indicative.
I'm not aware of that performance of Bad, I'll have to check it out.