Author Topic: 2017 interpretation of Joshua Tree songs  (Read 875 times)

Offline andrewau2

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Smack in the centre of contradiction = place to be
2017 interpretation of Joshua Tree songs
« on: July 15, 2017, 07:54:07 PM »
For the 2017 live version, I like the way they sing the chorus of Trip Through Your Wires with the pause (syncopation) "You - set - my - desire" better than the original version.

However, I do not like the live 2017 version of how Bono sings the lower note of "Love" in Red Hill Mining Town when he sings "La-oh-ove" as it sounds off key and not as passionate.  I was also hoping the outro of the song would match the new and improved outro of the Steve Lillywhite mix from the RSD single with more "You're all that's left to hold on to" instead of all the "Let's go down to Red Hill Town."

Thoughts?

Offline monopoly

• Running to Stand Still
Re: 2017 interpretation of Joshua Tree songs
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2017, 11:28:43 PM »
Trip was the highlight of the JT for me. It was really enjoyable and fun.

RHMT was the worst performance. Terrible video and terrible piano. Really let down they didn't do a guitar version. And there's no excuse. Any tribute band can do it just like the studio version

Offline mariamontreal

• Running to Stand Still
  • She moves in mysterious ways
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2017, 11:25:49 AM »
I have to agree some songs are good others miss the mark. All in all they are great live.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2017, 12:54:18 PM »
Trip is a song i never cared for on record but the live presentation on this tour was a surprising highlight of the show i attended.

RHMT is a flop on record and was a flop live for me.

Offline aviastar

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Feel like trash...you make me feel clean
2017 interpretation of Joshua Tree songs
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2017, 01:42:30 PM »
I like RHMT on the album but I feel like it's not a fully realized song on this tour.  I think the missing guitar part is key....and playing to a video of a brass band just doesn't have a whole lot of energy.  It feels like an intermission.  I have been very happy with all of the other interpretations of TJT songs 30 years afterwords for this tour....Streets, BTBS, Trip, IGC, OTH, Exit, and MOTD are all exceptional on this tour IMO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 01:48:49 PM by aviastar »

Offline Kmama07

• Running to Stand Still
  • She is everywhere and no place
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2017, 02:02:04 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Trip was the highlight of the JT for me. It was really enjoyable and fun.

RHMT was the worst performance. Terrible video and terrible piano. Really let down they didn't do a guitar version. And there's no excuse. Any tribute band can do it just like the studio version
Agree with everything you just said regarding RHMT

Offline the_chief

• Refugee
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2017, 02:26:52 AM »
Trip sounds exactly as it did 30 years ago.
Exit still has the same power, if not a tiny bit slower
Streets, for me, doesn't feel the same when it's played in the original key. Has to be in C#
Bullet is the same
RTSS sounds the same
IGC is a bit slower but, still sounds strong.

In fact, the only one I'm disappointed in is RHMT. But, I've never liked the song on record anyways

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2017, 07:39:10 AM »
Trip is a song i never cared for on record but the live presentation on this tour was a surprising highlight of the show i attended.

RHMT is a flop on record and was a flop live for me.

I wouldn't call it a flop, but 2017 definitely did nothing to prove they were wrong about it being a mid-tempo plodder that would kill momentum at shows. 99.9 of rock songs do NOT need a horn section. I can think of exactly one U2 song that benefits from them (Angel of Harlem) and it would have been just fine without them. I thought it was odd to take a song that originally didn't have horns, add them, and then not have real horns on stage. Weird call.

I thought the rest of side 2 came off great, especially Exit, though I missed the GLORIA sing along and I am still not sure what Eeny  Meeny Miney Moe was all about.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2017, 07:53:49 AM »
Funny thing is, for those of us who signed up for the fan club, we'll be getting live versions of the singles on the vinyl (and download).  But those actually end up missing arguably the best songs performed: TTYW and Exit.

Still hoping for a concert Blu-ray.  (With an audio album would be nice, too!)

I really wasn't keen on RHMT live.  Having Edge play keyboard for it seemed wrong--I have to wonder if Bono was able to play guitar, maybe they would have used guitars?  They sort of need two guitars to make it work--the high, chiming eighth-notes one, and the big low riff.  I've come around on the new recorded version of it, though.  I really like Edge's call-and-response "Let's go down on Red Hill...." at the end.  It needn't replace the original, but it's a nice new take on it.

Offline riffraff

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • So, when does the SOE tour start?
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2017, 08:01:13 AM »
I haven't seen it live yet, but RHMT has always been in my top ten U2 songs. I DON'T like the keyboard version. I don't really care for the horns. But, it'll still be nice to see it live. I hope.

Offline trevgreg

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2017, 10:17:22 AM »
Count me as someone that dug the RHMT version live on here.

Offline riffraff

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • So, when does the SOE tour start?
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2017, 10:27:46 AM »
Count me as someone that dug the RHMT version live on here.
Good to hear this...
Hey, Trev, I still haven't seen any youtube vids that are as good as yours! You rock!

Offline andrewau2

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Smack in the centre of contradiction = place to be
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2017, 08:10:52 PM »
I agree that I was disappointed to see The Edge stay on keyboards after Running to Stand Still for Red Hill Mining Town.  In fact, I'd like guitar for both songs, but especially Red Hill.

I didn't hate the live version, but I was a bit let down. 

Agree that Exit was a highlight. U2 are at their best when they rock out.  I wish they knew that and stopped chasing the syrupy pop song dream.

Offline trashbag

• Refugee
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2017, 02:33:53 PM »
I like RHMT live. I think there's something lost in translation when seeing it on a YouTube video, but live I really enjoyed it. I remember one guy in front of me who's been a fan for years and years, and he was particularly blown away by the song.

I also think Bono's voice sounds a LOT better in person. Moral of the story: don't judge a performance by its YouTube video  :P

Unless you saw it live and still didn't like it. Then fair enough  ;D

Offline soloyan

• Staring at the Sun
  • A dangerous idea that almost makes sense
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2017, 05:37:31 AM »
Just saw the band last night, so it's still fresh (and going again later today so it'll be even fresher !). I'm a huge JT fan. It's my all time favorite by any band.
To me, what makes it work is the contrast between songs and atmospheres. Transitions are key. I think some of it is missing here. For example, BTBS after WOWY felt weird...

That said, there are things  absolutely loved :
-Streets : good to hear the original intro keyboard sound, while highlighting the guitar.
-I Still haven't found : funny to hear the band trying to reproduce the LP intro
-WOWY : nothing to report
-Bullet : I missed the drums only intro but the energy was there. Edge sounded great.
-RTSS : I liked Bono's laidback performance, here. However, I still think he's underestimating his harmonica skills and could give more.
-RHMT : mixed feelings. Chorus sounded great.
-God's country : a bit too slow. Again great job from Edge.
-Trip TYW : a pleasant surprise, as has been reported. Really liked it more than I thought.
-One Tree Hill : Loved it. Bono hit the high notes in the outro.
-Exit : fabulous. A dream come true, really. I hope they keep it in the set for further tours.
-Mothers : Sounded good. Crowd didn't really pick up as much as needed.