Author Topic: SOE update  (Read 42043 times)

Offline trevgreg

• Running to Stand Still
Re: SOE update
« Reply #120 on: July 19, 2017, 02:53:05 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Oh musically it's great, lyrically however...

Yeah, the music deal is pretty good. The chorus lyrics.... yeah.

Offline This Dave

• Numb
« Reply #121 on: July 19, 2017, 03:47:30 PM »
"The Light at Home has been mentioned by The Edge as one of the songs hes loving on the new album" - now I am anxious to hear this song!

I'm glad "You're the best thing about me" isn't the single.  and I'm glad it will be a more U2 sounding song.  Phew!

Single release day in September? Album release December 1st on World Aids Day?  I think it's true this time.

Pinch of salt. Edge liked unknown caller!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unknown Caller is such a bipolar song. Either you love it or hate it. It was one of my favorites from NLOTH. I really feel it was one of Edge's best solos on it. Just this guy's opinion.

Oh musically it's great, lyrically however...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a good example of what appears from the outside to be Bono putting his first draft-dashed off nonsense onto the finished track.  You know when you hear earlier versions of some of their songs and it's a step up from his Bongolese but nowhere near a finished lyric? Well now that seems to commonly become the finished lyric.

"You're on a piece of ground above a volcano" - what image is that supposed to even conjure? I see Super Mario or something.
"You were alone but now you're not alone"- not really the poetry he's capable of producing
"Force quit and move to trash"- what the hell ?
"Come on people yeah yeah love" (slight paraphrasing of Stand Up Comedy after the first verse) is absolute lowest denominator rock lyric writing

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #122 on: July 20, 2017, 09:10:06 AM »
^
The most nonsensical song Bono has ever written, to me, is Staring At The Sun:

There's an insect in your ear (OK, gross; this is one of my worst nightmares)
If you scratch it won't disappear (I wouldn't think so, no)
It's gonna itch and burn and sting (That's what they do, King B)
You wanna see what the scratching brings (WHAT? Probably more itching. Or relief. Is this really worth talking about?)

And then that bit about armor-plated suits and ties? Referee won't blow the whistle? This song is all over the place.

Offline trevgreg

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #123 on: July 20, 2017, 09:23:50 AM »
Well, like Yoko Ono once said she told John Lennon one time, he wasn't one to rhyme "June with spoon" all the time. And that might've been a good thing. I Am the Walrus was sort of written exactly for that reason anyway.

Sometimes stuff a bit nonsensical or stream of consciousness turns out better than it probably would have been anyway. The only part of the SATS verse that sticks out a bit, imo, is that last line. Otherwise, it's just something that's a bit different from "I took a walk one day" lyrics, which is cool.

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #124 on: July 20, 2017, 09:33:09 AM »
The most annoying thing about UC is that the first lot of lyrics were great.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login - 3:22 onwards

Restart and forgive yourself
Come back to me

Shout for you joy
On every street

I'm convinced these sessions were amongst the best of U2's career but as the album came into focus (or in this case it didn't) they lost their balls and experimentalism and all that hard work and freshness went by the wayside.

I would love to hear the original demos.

Offline gujuju

• Babyface
« Reply #125 on: July 20, 2017, 10:14:17 AM »
Agree.  I had such high hopes for UC.   Even the beach clip version was great bc the lyrics could not be made out

The clip of Magnificent from Fez (can find on YouTube) with the extended guitar intro is amazing.   Wish we could hear this version.

Offline trevgreg

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #126 on: July 20, 2017, 10:29:24 AM »
The clip of Magnificent from Fez (can find on YouTube) with the extended guitar intro is amazing.   Wish we could hear this version.

Assuming there is a "completed" version, of course.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #127 on: July 20, 2017, 12:34:58 PM »
^

You wanna see what the scratching brings (WHAT? Probably more itching. Or relief. Is this really worth talking about?)

And then that bit about armor-plated suits and ties? Referee won't blow the whistle? This song is all over the place.

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #128 on: July 20, 2017, 12:47:19 PM »
an tha you poor b******

yea i'd love to hear the NLOTH demos. kindergarten NLOTH so to speak. assemble a proper fan made playlist like i can do with beach boys smile or weezers songs from the black hole. ignore the proper release and just listen to the early superior demos.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #129 on: July 20, 2017, 01:09:35 PM »
an tha you poor b******

yea i'd love to hear the NLOTH demos. kindergarten NLOTH so to speak. assemble a proper fan made playlist like i can do with beach boys smile or weezers songs from the black hole. ignore the proper release and just listen to the early superior demos.

:)

monopoly

« Reply #130 on: July 20, 2017, 01:43:30 PM »
The most annoying thing about UC is that the first lot of lyrics were great.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login - 3:22 onwards

Restart and forgive yourself
Come back to me

Shout for you joy
On every street

I'm convinced these sessions were amongst the best of U2's career but as the album came into focus (or in this case it didn't) they lost their balls and experimentalism and all that hard work and freshness went by the wayside.

I would love to hear the original demos.

That's how it has been for every album they've done in the last 10 years. All the alternate versions of SOI sound so much more experienental and raw. It's obvious the original mixes with Danger Mouse sounded different. Then u2 brought 3 more producers to change the songs.

If u2 would focus on making an album in 1 1/2 years, then we'd have so many masterpieces. But they keep overworking to death. That's why I think SOE won't be anything spectacular, just another ATYCLB, Dismantle or SOI. It's been overworked.

Offline World71R

• Refugee
  • It's no secret ambition bites the nails of success
« Reply #131 on: July 20, 2017, 03:41:07 PM »
^

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Totally agreed.

Elevation makes absolutely no sense and ruins the solid rock tune that it is (especially with those odd falsetto "Ohh oh"s in the chorus). It sounds like a bunch of trashed lines from other songs that are poorly mish-mashed together and added to some other superficial lines to produce the song. The only good line is the "At the corner of your lips, as the orbit of your hips" line imo. Otherwise, the lyrics somewhat reek of a sellout effort.

Offline jjcruiser

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #132 on: July 21, 2017, 11:26:31 AM »
I'm shocked at how popular UC seems to be on here.  I guess it's a love it or hate it song and I'm on the other side.  Easily in my top three worst songs right with Wild Honey and Babyface.

I realize from an "art" perspective that Elevation and Vertigo are not exactly boundary pushing.  But I have to be honest, I enjoy them more in concert and listen to them more and with more joy than a lot of other more serious "better" songs of U2.  I think that's why they keep playing them.

But the mole-picture was brilliant.

Offline trevgreg

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #133 on: July 21, 2017, 11:39:06 AM »
I realize from an "art" perspective that Elevation and Vertigo are not exactly boundary pushing.  But I have to be honest, I enjoy them more in concert and listen to them more and with more joy than a lot of other more serious "better" songs of U2.  I think that's why they keep playing them.

Odd thing is that Vertigo got a bit of a break on this tour and Elevation on the last... but yeah, the reactions are always pretty high for those two. Too bad we're supposed to go to rock shows, hear just ambient tracks and be miserable though.  ::)

Offline Neil Young, man!

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #134 on: July 21, 2017, 02:53:15 PM »
If I knew how to post a picture on here I would post a picture of a newborn baby's head.