Author Topic: SOE update  (Read 42159 times)

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
Re: SOE update
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2017, 11:56:55 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
1. I think a new song should be earlier in the set.
2. Their biggest album. Exactly. Your nostalgic average Joe most likely doesn't care about Little things that give you away or any other new song.

so just....dont bother trying a new song on them?

monopoly

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2017, 12:00:31 PM »
2. Their biggest album. Exactly. Your nostalgic average Joe most likely doesn't care about Little things that give you away or any other new song.

It's a marketing move. Casuals come, u2 advertises they have new music coming soon. Casuals will want to listen to the new album and say "I remember this song". The market for an indoor tour next year is strong. All the casuals who went this year will come back next year.

Online skelter

• Running to Stand Still
  • Drowning is no sin
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2017, 12:13:28 PM »

The new song is for us diehards in attendance. 10-20% of the stadium crowd.

And really, if you got the chance to be in the same room as Bono/U2, would you really say "Elevation sucks"? No, you'd probably gush at every song you have the pleasure of previewing.

If anything, this listening sessions with obvious U2 fans who paid to attend the concert is like soaking in a bath tub of praises.

Offline ecadad

• Staring at the Sun
  • 🐍
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2017, 12:21:31 PM »
"The Light at Home has been mentioned by The Edge as one of the songs hes loving on the new album" - now I am anxious to hear this song!

I'm glad "You're the best thing about me" isn't the single.  and I'm glad it will be a more U2 sounding song.  Phew!

Single release day in September? Album release December 1st on World Aids Day?  I think it's true this time.

Pinch of salt. Edge liked unknown caller!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not to open a can of worms, but Unknown Caller is a fantastic track IMO

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2017, 12:26:25 PM »

And really, if you got the chance to be in the same room as Bono/U2, would you really say "Elevation sucks"? No, you'd probably gush at every song you have the pleasure of previewing.

If anything, this listening sessions with obvious U2 fans who paid to attend the concert is like soaking in a bath tub of praises.

these focus groups aren't about telling the band to their face, it's more about filling out surveys, anonymously even.

monopoly

« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2017, 12:29:31 PM »

these focus groups aren't about telling the band to their face, it's more about filling out surveys, anonymously even.
[/quote/]

They should just put out an EP, if they want criticism

Offline xy

• Child of Grace
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2017, 12:41:22 PM »

It's a marketing move. Casuals come, u2 advertises they have new music coming soon. Casuals will want to listen to the new album and say "I remember this song". The market for an indoor tour next year is strong. All the casuals who went this year will come back next year.

U2 advertises...and casuals won't care. *shrug* Diehards make up a very small percentage this time IMO. Release a single when the tour's over and make a little promo tour - like usual.

As for next year - I don't know. The band has already asked the fans to fork out in 2015, this year and next year again...US and Europe might be a little saturated by now, surely ?

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2017, 12:44:45 PM »
"The Light at Home has been mentioned by The Edge as one of the songs hes loving on the new album" - now I am anxious to hear this song!

I'm glad "You're the best thing about me" isn't the single.  and I'm glad it will be a more U2 sounding song.  Phew!

Single release day in September? Album release December 1st on World Aids Day?  I think it's true this time.

What happened to the moderating gig?

Offline ecadad

• Staring at the Sun
  • 🐍
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2017, 01:21:37 PM »

I discovered that graduating from college and starting off life in the adult world doesn't leave a lot of time for being a mod.

Offline tony_bolony

• Babyface
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2017, 01:22:33 PM »
Seems desperate to me.

I agree,
Sounds like focus testing to me... 

Make it. Release it. Stand by it. You're freaking U2!

nah. who here wouldn't love to tell U2 to keep a particular song off the damn album. sometimes bands loose the plot bad and need someone from the outside <who clearly wont be Eno and Lanois or Lillywhite> to tell them to knock it off.

Honestly, over the past decade or so, there'd be a LOT of songs I would have told them to keep off the album... but I'd be disappointed if they'd listen to me, because it's none of my business what they decide sounds good or not. Yeah, this leads to a whole can of worms, in that my biggest gripe about U2 of late is they seem to care too much about having a hit single, that they're starting to sound too much like U2 (my issue with Little Things). I wish they'd just let go of themselves and preconceived notions of how well a U2 album is supposed to 'perform', and they could go make Passengers 2, and record choirs of penguins in Antarctica for all I care, if it makes them feel creatively invigorated. They just seem to be stuck and I feel they're struggling to fill their own shoes. Sorry if this went off topic  :-X

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2017, 01:23:24 PM »

I discovered that graduating from college and starting off life in the adult world doesn't leave a lot of time for being a mod.

A wise decision about life priorities - a good start in starting off life in the adult world.

Good luck.

Offline aviastar

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Feel like trash...you make me feel clean
SOE update
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2017, 01:59:00 PM »
As for next year - I don't know. The band has already asked the fans to fork out in 2015, this year and next year again...US and Europe might be a little saturated by now, surely ?

In the USA I think there will be enough demand for a 2018 SOE tour.  Especially if it's indoor arena shows like 2015.  There are acts that are far lower profile than U2 who tour every year in 10k seat venues and have not released an album in a long time (I.e. DMB).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 02:03:20 PM by aviastar »

Offline mariamontreal

• Running to Stand Still
  • She moves in mysterious ways
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2017, 02:21:09 PM »
What are the chance we will hear the JT songs again after this tour when the new album and tour comes?

monopoly

« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2017, 02:27:02 PM »
What are the chance we will hear the JT songs again after this tour when the new album and tour comes?

There's a 100% chance of hearing a 1/4 of the album every night on IE

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2017, 02:39:38 PM »
Seems desperate to me.

I agree,
Sounds like focus testing to me... 

Make it. Release it. Stand by it. You're freaking U2!

nah. who here wouldn't love to tell U2 to keep a particular song off the damn album. sometimes bands loose the plot bad and need someone from the outside <who clearly wont be Eno and Lanois or Lillywhite> to tell them to knock it off.
This is a horrible tactic to employ if we expect U2 to experiment and become more adventurous.