Author Topic: SOE update  (Read 48787 times)

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
Re: SOE update
« Reply #180 on: August 08, 2017, 02:07:10 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
U2 average an album roughly every 4 years over the last 25 years.

We haven't had 3 years since the last one yet - what's the panic?

Didn't you hear?  We were PROMISED one!  So it seems we should all be terribly, awfully, super upset if we don't get it.  And the band will be super-ashamed of themselves and will be a laughing stock because they promised us one and didn't give it to us.  You know.  That's how things work.

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Preeeeeeeeetty much.

Offline wik73

• Numb
« Reply #181 on: August 08, 2017, 02:07:35 PM »
Who cares! Joshua Tree was just released.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
  • I know that this is not goodbye, my forum friends!
« Reply #182 on: August 08, 2017, 02:08:13 PM »
Who cares! Joshua Tree was just released.

:P

Offline wik73

• Numb
SOE update
« Reply #183 on: August 08, 2017, 02:12:32 PM »
It's always so much more exciting wondering what amazing music they'll come up with next vs. the realization of what they've actually come up with. Just enjoy this moment of wonder and excitement of what could be. As U2 fans, may the myth of the next Achtung Baby never subside and may we all live in this state forever.

Online georgemccauley

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #184 on: August 08, 2017, 02:25:00 PM »

Didn't you hear?  We were PROMISED one!  So it seems we should all be terribly, awfully, super upset if we don't get it.  And the band will be super-ashamed of themselves and will be a laughing stock because they promised us one and didn't give it to us.  You know.  That's how things work.

To be fair it wouldn't surprise me if they actually didn't care about what everyone else thinks. They have broken promises regarding album release dates as far back as NLOH as far as I can remember, probably further for the more experienced supporters.

It honestly wouldn't surprise me if they have indeed pushed it back to 2018 as Chris Evans told me this morning. We've had the Joshua Tree Tour 2017 and a special re issue release of The Joshua Tree Super Deluxe....

It makes sense now to release the NEW record next year in 2018..... as painful as that sounds

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #185 on: August 08, 2017, 03:01:14 PM »

To be fair it wouldn't surprise me if they actually didn't care about what everyone else thinks. They have broken promises regarding album release dates as far back as NLOH as far as I can remember, probably further for the more experienced supporters.

It honestly wouldn't surprise me if they have indeed pushed it back to 2018 as Chris Evans told me this morning. We've had the Joshua Tree Tour 2017 and a special re issue release of The Joshua Tree Super Deluxe....

It makes sense now to release the NEW record next year in 2018..... as painful as that sounds

The same Chris Evans who said last December that the album was "finished" and would be released sometime next (2017) year? That Chris Evans? You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

He's hardly a reliable source at this point. Perhaps in the past...but he's just contradicted himself whether they release it this year (as he said last December) or they don't (when he said they would this year last December).

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I don't think anyone would have expected a new album so quickly had they (a) not said SoE was accompanying SoI and would therefore be out close to that album's release and (b) had a certain frontman not promised the new album in 2017.

Personally? I don't really care at this point when the album comes out--beyond calling them out when they promise and fail to deliver. The last several albums have been decent or slightly above average (for U2). Good compared to a lot of what's out there, but hardly Achtung Baby. Which is fine. When you're a band like U2, with a deep discography, I don't think anyone expects you to be releasing outstanding music in your 50s. At this point, a new U2 album is a bonus, not something I particularly look forward to. I'm more concerned with their live show than anything else these days.

Offline Vox

• Running to Stand Still
  • Time is irrelevant, it's not linear.
« Reply #186 on: August 08, 2017, 03:53:07 PM »
Being U2 fans, we’re no strangers to album release delays. 

However, shame on me being nearly convinced that they were going to release a surprise album on September 25, 2016, right around the time they did the iheartradio dealie [Vox (new album) Certainty Factor (VCF):  90%].  I still find it strange that they did the iheartradio thing and the other corporate thing a few weeks apart last year. 

And, maybe that was the original plan, at one point.  I still believe the tea leaves from the summer of last year were portending a fall 2016 release.  I’m convinced that what became the Joshua Tree Tour 2017 was originally supposed to be the Innocence-Experience 2017 tour.  Some of the venues were booked, but Songs of Experience wasn’t up to their standard. 

Based on their track record, I didn’t get my hopes up too much with the Christmas announcement (VCF:  50%).  I officially gave up hope when The Joshua Tree Tour 2017 kept sprawling on (VCF: 10%).  But then I got a glimmer of hope when I heard the Edge saying “probably this year,” even though he sounded like a man uncertain (VCF: 30%).  Then the glimmer of hope became a ray when word got out that they were recording a couple music videos a few weeks ago (VCF: 60%). 

But, they’re taking their customary August holiday in France, and then it’s back to the road for two months.  That will presumably be followed by another month off to recover from the road, and by that time it’s already December and Christmas holiday.  So unless the album is finished and they’re sitting on it, I just don’t see it coming out.

Anyway…  this is what being a U2 fan is like in the modern times.  I’m one of the fans who would prefer new music to touring.  But if U2 doesn’t like the quality of the album, then I’m glad they’re holding off.  That being said, when you look into a mirror too long, the image will get dusty and begin to fade.  Without a doubt, the creativity has either diminished a bit, or they’ve become too self-conscious of their art.  Still, for me, U2 can do whatever they want – they’ve given so much and owe nothing.

VCF today:  38.91615%.  Vox B**lsh*t Factor (VBSF) today:  100%.

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
  • I know that this is not goodbye, my forum friends!
« Reply #187 on: August 08, 2017, 03:59:43 PM »
Being U2 fans, we’re no strangers to album release delays. 

However, shame on me being nearly convinced that they were going to release a surprise album on September 25, 2016, right around the time they did the iheartradio dealie [Vox (new album) Certainty Factor (VCF):  90%].  I still find it strange that they did the iheartradio thing and the other corporate thing a few weeks apart last year. 

And, maybe that was the original plan, at one point.  I still believe the tea leaves from the summer of last year were portending a fall 2016 release.  I’m convinced that what became the Joshua Tree Tour 2017 was originally supposed to be the Innocence-Experience 2017 tour.  Some of the venues were booked, but Songs of Experience wasn’t up to their standard. 

Based on their track record, I didn’t get my hopes up too much with the Christmas announcement (VCF:  50%).  I officially gave up hope when The Joshua Tree Tour 2017 kept sprawling on (VCF: 10%).  But then I got a glimmer of hope when I heard the Edge saying “probably this year,” even though he sounded like a man uncertain (VCF: 30%).  Then the glimmer of hope became a ray when word got out that they were recording a couple music videos a few weeks ago (VCF: 60%). 

But, they’re taking their customary August holiday in France, and then it’s back to the road for two months.  That will presumably be followed by another month off to recover from the road, and by that time it’s already December and Christmas holiday.  So unless the album is finished and they’re sitting on it, I just don’t see it coming out.

Anyway…  this is what being a U2 fan is like in the modern times.  I’m one of the fans who would prefer new music to touring.  But if U2 doesn’t like the quality of the album, then I’m glad they’re holding off.  That being said, when you look into a mirror too long, the image will get dusty and begin to fade.  Without a doubt, the creativity has either diminished a bit, or they’ve become too self-conscious of their art.  Still, for me, U2 can do whatever they want – they’ve given so much and owe nothing.

VCF today:  38.91615%.  Vox B**lsh*t Factor (VBSF) today:  100%.

"They've given so much and owe nothing"...VERY VERY well said...

Offline bass slap

• Running to Stand Still
  • Hot as a hair dryer.. In your face!
« Reply #188 on: August 08, 2017, 07:33:44 PM »
It's always so much more exciting wondering what amazing music they'll come up with next vs. the realization of what they've actually come up with. Just enjoy this moment of wonder and excitement of what could be. As U2 fans, may the myth of the next Achtung Baby never subside and may we all live in this state forever.

You sir... know where it's at.

Offline NOLA Fly

• Staring at the Sun
  • Feel like trash, You make me feel clean...
« Reply #189 on: August 08, 2017, 08:25:36 PM »
^
The most nonsensical song Bono has ever written, to me, is Staring At The Sun:

There's an insect in your ear (OK, gross; this is one of my worst nightmares)
If you scratch it won't disappear (I wouldn't think so, no)
It's gonna itch and burn and sting (That's what they do, King B)
You wanna see what the scratching brings (WHAT? Probably more itching. Or relief. Is this really worth talking about?)

And then that bit about armor-plated suits and ties? Referee won't blow the whistle? This song is all over the place.

Totally agreed.

Elevation makes absolutely no sense and ruins the solid rock tune that it is (especially with those odd falsetto "Ohh oh"s in the chorus). It sounds like a bunch of trashed lines from other songs that are poorly mish-mashed together and added to some other superficial lines to produce the song. The only good line is the "At the corner of your lips, as the orbit of your hips" line imo. Otherwise, the lyrics somewhat reek of a sellout effort.

I don’t see it that way at all. I think it covers virtually the same ground as “Mysterious Ways,” only this time in the first person. It seems to me a picture of a man “living underground,” “like a mole,” struggling with the depths of his own soul or possibly “running away from what [he doesn’t] understand” and finding something (a woman/the Spirit) drawing him out of his den of retreat. Only instead of Bono urging Johnny to let the light in, it’s Bono himself this time around beseeching someone to “talk about the things [he] can’t explain,” to “educate my mind,” to “explain all these controls.”

I take the lines “A star lit up like a cigar, strung out like a guitar” to be self-referential. Bono, a rock star, is still bright but is burning out and strung out. It’s not a surprising description if you consider the context the album was recorded in and its content: Coming on the heals of the shortcomings (at least in the band’s mind) of Pop/PopMart, the increasing strain of his activism in Jubilee 2000, battling throat problems quite possibly brought on by his own choices: “Everyone was saying it was my lifestyle, on the phone all the time, never going to bed, smoking, drinking too much, so I was making changes but I was just not able to really get there.”, and dealing with/writing songs about the suicide of a close friend (SIAMYCGOO), acts of terrorism in his homeland (POE), and a sense of hopelessness about the brokenness of the world (WILATW).

And where in “Mysterious Ways” we find Bono assuring Johnny that “one day you’ll look back and you’ll see where you were held now by this love,” in “Elevation” it is Bono calling out on his own behalf: “Love, lift me out of these blues, won’t you tell me something true.”  In this way, I think “Elevation” is also related to “When I Look At The World,” where Bono is lamenting not being able to see the world/have faith like his wife does and says,  “Tell me, tell me, what do you see? Tell me, tell me, what’s wrong with me.” In both cases, he wants to rise above his limitations/limited viewpoint and is looking for a hand to pull him out of the mire.

For the longest time, I didn't know that "I and I" is an actual phrase or catch the possible wordplay of "I and I in the sky" with "I and Eye in the sky," a possible reference to God.

Now, is there a throwaway quality/vibe here? Sure. So? The same is true of many great rock songs and I would argue that that’s part of its charm, not unlike some of the material on Pop. I definitely get a sense of "looking for the baby Jesus under the trash" in this song. Even if the trash in question is internal.

Is the mole metaphor/imagery something you wouldn't normally expect to find in a rock song? Yes. But the image is apt in the context of the song and I think it fits with the playful vibe. In Into The Heart, Niall Stokes observes, “The mole livin’ in a hole diggin’ up his soul in the fourth verse is reminiscent of the central character in 'The Fly',” and that “the song captures well the murky terrain inhabited by a writer struggling with the attempt to make art of his or her experience.”

"Elevation" has become something of a whipping boy on this forum. It is a big, fun rock song, yes, but it certainly isn't hollow. I don't see selling out anywhere here. To me, it makes sense and seems a continuation of themes already present in U2's work.

And for the record, I love the woo-hoos. I get pumped every time.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 09:18:33 PM by NOLA Fly »

Offline aviastar

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Feel like trash...you make me feel clean
« Reply #190 on: August 08, 2017, 09:51:36 PM »

Bad egg.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline xy

• Child of Grace
« Reply #191 on: August 09, 2017, 12:37:48 AM »

Average, sure, but we certainly heard enough about SOE to reasonably expect it to land soon-ish (late 2017/Spring 2018).

Online georgemccauley

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #192 on: August 09, 2017, 12:57:57 AM »
Sometime in the next 27 years guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #193 on: August 09, 2017, 01:06:00 AM »
i laugh at the people that say its sept. 8th single release dec 1 album. i dont buy it. no need to buy into it.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #194 on: August 09, 2017, 01:14:04 AM »

Average, sure, but we certainly heard enough about SOE to reasonably expect it to land soon-ish (late 2017/Spring 2018).

And it may well do......i just don't see the 'problem' if it does not.