Author Topic: SOE update  (Read 40645 times)

Offline JFW

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Lookin' in the places where no flowers grow
Re: SOE update
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2017, 02:46:32 PM »
Great update :)

Offline mariamontreal

• Running to Stand Still
  • She moves in mysterious ways
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2017, 03:13:10 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
What are the chance we will hear the JT songs again after this tour when the new album and tour comes?

There's a 100% chance of hearing a 1/4 of the album every night on IE
besides the warhorse songs

Offline miami

• Desert Rose
  • here comes the car chase!
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2017, 03:49:23 PM »
Why do they give two hoots what anyone else thinks?
Release it, be confident in it and don't give a damn about what casual fans or music journalists think about it.

Grow some b***s u2. You've been in the business for 40 years. Where's the swagger gone?

Offline tony_bolony

• Babyface
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2017, 04:13:39 PM »
Why do they give two hoots what anyone else thinks?
Release it, be confident in it and don't give a damn about what casual fans or music journalists think about it.

Grow some b***s u2. You've been in the business for 40 years. Where's the swagger gone?

Amen!

Offline lorijane

• Airborne Ranger
  • We picked the right band
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2017, 04:19:01 PM »
I think the listening parties are just to produce "buzz." I would guess the album is done and even if someone says they don't like a song, it's not going to be yanked from the album.

Offline Pouakai

• Stateless
  • I went walking, down that old eight-lane
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2017, 04:46:04 PM »
I think the listening parties are just to produce "buzz." I would guess the album is done and even if someone says they don't like a song, it's not going to be yanked from the album.

To an extent - I think they'd look at a song if it's universally hated across all the listening parties

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2017, 04:52:16 PM »

To an extent - I think they'd look at a song if it's universally hated across all the listening parties

they would. esp. the hyper-sensitive Bono. also if they're just listening parties then maybe the album is done. i mean, it's not, but maybe it is.

Offline bass slap

• Running to Stand Still
  • Hot as a hair dryer.. In your face!
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2017, 05:06:53 PM »
It's a strange concept to me, and all seems too corporate. It's like the chicken and egg.. who came first, the artist or the fans?!

Make the music you believe in and then let those that want to subscribe to it, to do so..
If they're asking fans on this tour then they had better make it sound like old U2 if they want a positive response. But I would say 80% of these audiences just want a nostalgic blast and couldn't give a hoot about new Material.

If it's true then great to hear we're close to something new.

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • A-B-C, easy as 1-2-3
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2017, 06:01:20 PM »
GET IT DONE DAMN IT

Offline World71R

• Refugee
  • It's no secret ambition bites the nails of success
« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2017, 06:34:43 PM »
"The Light at Home has been mentioned by The Edge as one of the songs hes loving on the new album" - now I am anxious to hear this song!

I'm glad "You're the best thing about me" isn't the single.  and I'm glad it will be a more U2 sounding song.  Phew!

Single release day in September? Album release December 1st on World Aids Day?  I think it's true this time.

Pinch of salt. Edge liked unknown caller!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not to open a can of worms, but Unknown Caller is a fantastic track IMO

I agree. The technological-themed lyrics are a little much at times, but other than that, it's a really good song and another underrated track from NLOTH.

Offline skelter

• Running to Stand Still
  • Drowning is no sin
« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2017, 07:02:29 PM »

they would. esp. the hyper-sensitive Bono. also if they're just listening parties then maybe the album is done. i mean, it's not, but maybe it is.

Lol, hyper-sensitive Bono is right. But I have to wonder if Edge is just as sensitive. Just because Bono talks about it the most in interviews...
In their studio, Bono might not be the only indecisive one.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2017, 08:46:16 PM »
"The Light at Home has been mentioned by The Edge as one of the songs hes loving on the new album" - now I am anxious to hear this song!

I'm glad "You're the best thing about me" isn't the single.  and I'm glad it will be a more U2 sounding song.  Phew!

Single release day in September? Album release December 1st on World Aids Day?  I think it's true this time.

Pinch of salt. Edge liked unknown caller!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not to open a can of worms, but Unknown Caller is a fantastic track IMO

I agree. The technological-themed lyrics are a little much at times, but other than that, it's a really good song and another underrated track from NLOTH.

honestly i loved it at first, then the password you/reboot yourself stuff wore me down. i don't mind the chanting, it's the least offensive part.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2017, 08:47:13 PM »

Lol, hyper-sensitive Bono is right. But I have to wonder if Edge is just as sensitive. Just because Bono talks about it the most in interviews...
In their studio, Bono might not be the only indecisive one.

maybe yea.

Offline andwise

• Wanderer
« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2017, 09:03:18 PM »
Call me optimistic, but I don't see this as "desperate." I imagine that playing new material for your music-producer friends is pretty standard. The article didn't explicitly state that U2/management was playing the SOE songs for random fans and then polling them, as in a focus group setting. In fact, I would be shocked if this hasn't been done for the previous 5 U2 records...the only difference is that the band is out on tour promoting a previous album. And it just doesn't make sense to release a new album while on an anniversary tour.

Also: I believe that U2 is carefully planning the release of SOE and how the record is rolled out, as they know it could be one of their last chances to have a big hit. I can't wait for it! :)

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2017, 09:11:57 PM »
Call me optimistic, but I don't see this as "desperate." I imagine that playing new material for your music-producer friends is pretty standard. The article didn't explicitly state that U2/management was playing the SOE songs for random fans and then polling them, as in a focus group setting. In fact, I would be shocked if this hasn't been done for the previous 5 U2 records...the only difference is that the band is out on tour promoting a previous album. And it just doesn't make sense to release a new album while on an anniversary tour.

Also: I believe that U2 is carefully planning the release of SOE and how the record is rolled out, as they know it could be one of their last chances to have a big hit. I can't wait for it! :)

i really hope this is true.