Author Topic: SOE update  (Read 21058 times)

Offline monopoly

• Numb
Re: SOE update
« Reply #60 on: July 17, 2017, 02:48:33 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
The Best Thing as first single?

Utterly pathetic song, I just have no idea who they are trying to kid - it's not as if it's going to storm the charts, and the only folk who will like it are MOR Radio 2 listeners more suited to Elaine Page and Englebert Humperdinck.

Someone with a bit of creative balls really needs to tell them to get a grip.

They say it's going to be different than the version we have heard - (KYGO remix??).  I'm not enthused about that version - it doesn't sound like U2 to me (I don't even hear Edge's distinctive guitar sounds).  But I am holding out hope that The Best Thing that appears on SOE is quite different - and more interesting - than the one that the public has heard so far - which sounds like something they play over the PA at Forever 21.

The version from Bonos Beach House clip sounded more stripped down with some electronic element. Steve lillywhite tweeted about finishing mixing their first single around that time. I think that's the album version. Started off with piano.

I think a lot of people don't realize the live kygo on youtube is at his concert. It's a DJ event where he plays nonstop EDM and remixes every song he plays- all songs he has worked on.

The mix u2 will release will have kygo credited and And that mix is the beach house clip.

Offline jjcruiser

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #61 on: July 17, 2017, 02:55:47 PM »
I'd never heard of "listening parties" before and on its face it sounds like a hoax, but it's not April 1, this isn't my area of expertise, and the rest of you seem to believe it, so what do I know.  Assuming it's all or even a little correct, I am encouraged by this news. 

I don't care what the first single is.  I don't think they've gotten that right since "The Fly" so why start now.  I just want a good new album and I'm excited the band has most of the songs finished.

Online an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #62 on: July 17, 2017, 03:09:35 PM »
I have a strong suspicion/feeling that this album will be heavily and squarely aimed at having as much 'mass appeal' as possible with songs very deliberately crafted with a pop/MOR lilt.

The band will in their minds see it as a way of riding the wave that the JT nostalgia gigs has created and get them 'hits'.... I can see it being like ATYCLB but even more overtly 'pop rock' and MOR

It will of course be welcomed by many/derided by many but it will IMO be a very good thing for the future of the band because i think it will flop like a wet fish and cause the band to finally give up the chase for hits/radio play/the acceptance of the masses and help usher in a new era of a more mature/deeper/less pop and MOR U2 where the band throw off the shackles of trying to please the masses and produce work that is more in line with an old Bono quote about being a 'badass when he is old'.....More SLABT and less Best Thing!

Offline monopoly

• Numb
« Reply #63 on: July 17, 2017, 04:09:07 PM »
Realistically, this album will be like the last two. A mixed bag of good and bad songs. Nothing that stands out as spectacular. U2 will probably choose the wrong songs as singles. They'all praise SOE as their best work yet. Then as the tour progresses, they'll drop more and more SOE material in favor of older hits like MW, EBTTRT, AIWIY, etc. if u2 refuses to tour without a new album, we're looking at 2024 as a realistic date for when we'll hear from th again. That will certainly be the last.

I don't think this will be the last. But I think it could be. I doubt we'll ever hear invisible live again.

Offline ZEROpartII

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #64 on: July 17, 2017, 04:14:13 PM »
The Light at Home (That I Can't Replace Without the Medium-Sized Ladder I Lent to My Neighbor Francis)

Offline bass slap

• Running to Stand Still
  • Hot as a hair dryer.. In your face!
« Reply #65 on: July 17, 2017, 04:18:05 PM »
I have a strong suspicion/feeling that this album will be heavily and squarely aimed at having as much 'mass appeal' as possible with songs very deliberately crafted with a pop/MOR lilt.

The band will in their minds see it as a way of riding the wave that the JT nostalgia gigs has created and get them 'hits'.... I can see it being like ATYCLB but even more overtly 'pop rock' and MOR

It will of course be welcomed by many/derided by many but it will IMO be a very good thing for the future of the band because i think it will flop like a wet fish and cause the band to finally give up the chase for hits/radio play/the acceptance of the masses and help usher in a new era of a more mature/deeper/less pop and MOR U2 where the band throw off the shackles of trying to please the masses and produce work that is more in line with an old Bono quote about being a 'badass when he is old'.....More SLABT and less Best Thing!

You've just summarised the last two album cycles? And yes, everything is pointing to a repeat of this for experience.

I don't expect anything great anymore, and I don't think it makes too much difference how it's wrapped up sonically.. a melody that grates, is a melody that grates..  a clunky verse is a clunky verse..

I would like them to go experimental in a passengers sense.. That way they can go mental in a studio and not worry about killer choruses, more music less focus on the 'song'
But it will never happen, they are far too in love with guitars and the craft of traditional song writing. Nothing wrong with that, but even they have to admit, they can't write em like they used to!

Any release is welcome at this point, I'll happily take what I can get and won't be surprised if it's far removed from their best work.

Offline LovableLadFromLiverpool

• Babyface
« Reply #66 on: July 17, 2017, 05:46:15 PM »
"The Light at Home has been mentioned by The Edge as one of the songs hes loving on the new album" - now I am anxious to hear this song!

I'm glad "You're the best thing about me" isn't the single.  and I'm glad it will be a more U2 sounding song.  Phew!

Single release day in September? Album release December 1st on World Aids Day?  I think it's true this time.

Pinch of salt. Edge liked unknown caller!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well that's a good song

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
« Reply #67 on: July 17, 2017, 06:10:43 PM »
I fully expect an ATYCLB/SOI hybrid with the next release.

The majority of the songs will be crappy. As usual, however, we will be treated with an interesting track or two (like New York or Sleep Like a Baby Tonight). Expect a few uplifting and upbeat faux-anthems like The Best Thing mixed in with your typical "Little Things-esque" slow-burners.

Offline trevgreg

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #68 on: July 17, 2017, 10:22:54 PM »
Seems like the hipster street cred arguments are in full force as of late...  :-\

Offline jjcruiser

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #69 on: July 17, 2017, 11:11:31 PM »
Seems like the hipster street cred arguments are in full force as of late...  :-\

Amen.

Sometimes it sounds to me like some of the more hardcore fans on here (and outside this forum I'm considered to be that by everyone that knows me), aren't really interested in U2 songs sounding good anymore.  It's about pushing the envelope into abstraction. 

Personally I think all their albums have been beautiful and brilliant *except* for Passengers, which except for YBR and MS was no more than lousy ambiguous self indulgence.  If they can manage to make something crossed between All You Can't and SOI, I'll be thrilled out of my mind.

Online eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #70 on: July 17, 2017, 11:26:19 PM »
"The Light at Home has been mentioned by The Edge as one of the songs hes loving on the new album" - now I am anxious to hear this song!

I'm glad "You're the best thing about me" isn't the single.  and I'm glad it will be a more U2 sounding song.  Phew!

Single release day in September? Album release December 1st on World Aids Day?  I think it's true this time.

Pinch of salt. Edge liked unknown caller!

Well that's a good song

Force quit and move this post to trash.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #71 on: July 17, 2017, 11:45:03 PM »

Amen.

Sometimes it sounds to me like some of the more hardcore fans on here (and outside this forum I'm considered to be that by everyone that knows me), aren't really interested in U2 songs sounding good anymore.  It's about pushing the envelope into abstraction. 

Personally I think all their albums have been beautiful and brilliant *except* for Passengers, which except for YBR and MS was no more than lousy ambiguous self indulgence.  If they can manage to make something crossed between All You Can't and SOI, I'll be thrilled out of my mind.

i was thrilled with ATYCLB when it came out but all these years later i don't like but maybe 2 or 3 of the songs enough to really seek out a listen. the MDH stuff i still love though.

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #72 on: July 18, 2017, 07:35:48 AM »
I'd never heard of "listening parties" before and on its face it sounds like a hoax, but it's not April 1, this isn't my area of expertise, and the rest of you seem to believe it, so what do I know.  Assuming it's all or even a little correct, I am encouraged by this news. 

I don't care what the first single is.  I don't think they've gotten that right since "The Fly" so why start now.  I just want a good new album and I'm excited the band has most of the songs finished.

Prince used to to do this kind of thing at Paisley Park all the time. He'd have parties -- sometimes DJing them himself -- and invite friends and fans in to listen and dance, and often he folded in his own unheard material. I've never really heard of U2 doing this in such an organized fashion.

As much as the timeline mentioned in the story makes sense -- almost TOO MUCH sense -- these listening parties have been going on for HOW LONG and we are just now getting wind of them taking place? And our own beloved @U2 never had a source reporting on them? That seems kind of dubious, but at the same time, believable.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #73 on: July 18, 2017, 07:41:08 AM »
So let me get this straight:

We've moved from: "U2 delayed their next album for a cash-in tour celebrating an old album!  They're catering to the casuals!  Their spent as a creative force!  I'd much rather they release SOE than do a nostalgia tour!", to: "SOE is gonna be MOR!  They're deliberately crafting a single to be a radio hit!  It's probably not gonna be very good!"

Does anyone else see the irony of both of these arguments coming from the very same people?  "How dare they not release their album!  Their next album's probably gonna suck!"  I even pointed this out when the complaints first started rolling in with the JTJT17 tour announcement.  And this is from a guy who's been hit and miss with their recent work. 

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #74 on: July 18, 2017, 07:57:39 AM »
So let me get this straight:

We've moved from: "U2 delayed their next album for a cash-in tour celebrating an old album!  They're catering to the casuals!  Their spent as a creative force!  I'd much rather they release SOE than do a nostalgia tour!", to: "SOE is gonna be MOR!  They're deliberately crafting a single to be a radio hit!  It's probably not gonna be very good!"

Does anyone else see the irony of both of these arguments coming from the very same people?  "How dare they not release their album!  Their next album's probably gonna suck!"  I even pointed this out when the complaints first started rolling in with the JTJT17 tour announcement.  And this is from a guy who's been hit and miss with their recent work. 

Yes, I absolutely see it. These folks evidently demand nothing short of ground-breaking brilliance and re-invention (while still sounding like U2) or they are ready to burn the world down.