Author Topic: SOE update  (Read 49441 times)

Offline Vox

• Running to Stand Still
  • Time is irrelevant, it's not linear.
Re: SOE update
« Reply #600 on: September 13, 2017, 06:50:28 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
So they might not share album news tomorrow???? They've removed mentions of sharing album news on all the blackout posts on the 6th.

Hopefully they don't come out tomorrow and say, "the new album will be released sometime in early 2018.  'The Blackout' and 'You're the Best Thing About Me' are gifts to our fans for staying with us."  Or, hopefully the hurricane in Houston or news about the dreamers in the past week didn't change the world too much to make the new album irrelevant (ha, ha -- said with humorous, yet nervous, sarcasm).     

Bono: I've always been a bit, eh, unreliable. But honestly, with everything happening in the world it just wouldn't be right to put out Songs of Experience as it currently exists. We have a lot of songs, some great tunes, real rockers, but we need some time to go back to the studio and come up something fresh and exciting. Edge?

Edge: We've actually completed four albums since Songs of Innocence, but none of them are the one, you know?

Bono: So we'll probably be putting out an album next summer, maybe April or May, Songs of Experience, that is, and follow it up next autumn, September 2018. But don't take my word for it!

Larry nods sullenly. Edge chuckles uncomfortably.

Larry: When you're in U2, we want to make sure that what we put out deserves our name, you know what I mean?

Edge: But for all of our great fans we have a little something, to eh, hold them over.

Bono: Yes exactly, thank The Edge, so in addition to "Blackout" on the Facebook, the U2 group will be releasing "You're The Best Things About Me" and "The Little Things" on iTunes and all that for the fans, a little three-song set, like an EP if you will. That should come out very soon, very soon.
What interview is that from? I just read that on September 6th Bono said it will be released on the first of December.

That interview is from the tongue that is within the cheek.

PookaMacP

« Reply #601 on: September 16, 2017, 05:31:52 AM »
I dreamt last night that U2 announced that the forthcoming record will be Passengers Part 2, with Eno & Lanois on board.

No joke. Imagine my disappointment when I woke up...

(Not that I'm not interested in SOE, more that I've always wondered what a second Passengers record would sound like – not least because I really like the full-on Eno/Lanois/U2 collaborations on NLOTH.)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 05:35:06 AM by PookaMacP »

Offline lucas.homem

• Numb
« Reply #602 on: September 16, 2017, 09:01:43 AM »
I dreamt last night that U2 announced that the forthcoming record will be Passengers Part 2, with Eno & Lanois on board.

(Not that I'm not interested in SOE, more that I've always wondered what a second Passengers record would sound like not least because I really like the full-on Eno/Lanois/U2 collaborations on NLOTH.)

Honestly, I'm not sure it would be good. Nowadays I do believe Bono and Edge like the pop songs they crave to write, with that kind of craft. When they deviate from that, it's to reach something very close, because they love Achtung Baby and Joshua Tree (albums with very conventional songwriting despite being masterpieces). So I don't think they have the spontaneity to let things flow aimlessly like they did with TUF and Passengers. That's why NLOTH failed (even songs like FEZ don't go very far away).

Of course, what I'm saying is purely speculative and unfounded, just to be clear.

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #603 on: September 16, 2017, 10:18:40 AM »
You guys actually liked "Passengers"?  I tried listening to it but didn't like much on it.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #604 on: September 16, 2017, 10:39:06 AM »
You guys actually liked "Passengers"?  I tried listening to it but didn't like much on it.

Well it does have Miss Sarajevo, Slug, Always Forever Now, and Your Blue Room (all of which could vie for a top 10 slot if they'd been released post-2000, in my opinion).

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #605 on: September 16, 2017, 10:40:19 AM »

yea outside of the obvious 4 songs the rest is a test in patience. i DID enjoy it as night driving music, once...

WookieeWarrior10

« Reply #606 on: September 16, 2017, 12:36:36 PM »

Aside from the obvious four songs, Original Soundtracks I has some incredibly beautiful music on it. The likes of A Different Kind of Blue and Beach Sequence have never been replicated by U2 since. The album creates beautiful sonic landscapes, like a more contemplative sequel to The Unforgettable Fire.

PookaMacP

« Reply #607 on: September 16, 2017, 12:58:17 PM »

(Not that I'm not interested in SOE, more that I've always wondered what a second Passengers record would sound like – not least because I really like the full-on Eno/Lanois/U2 collaborations on NLOTH.)

Honestly, I'm not sure it would be good. Nowadays I do believe Bono and Edge like the pop songs they crave to write, with that kind of craft. When they deviate from that, it's to reach something very close, because they love Achtung Baby and Joshua Tree (albums with very conventional songwriting despite being masterpieces). So I don't think they have the spontaneity to let things flow aimlessly like they did with TUF and Passengers. That's why NLOTH failed (even songs like FEZ don't go very far away).

Of course, what I'm saying is purely speculative and unfounded, just to be clear.

I think you're on to something here alright. The ship might well have sailed on atmospherics – they seem to be obsessed with a more straightforward verse-chorus, primary colours, simple chords format at the moment.

Yes, yes I really like Passengers. In fact, I'd take Passengers over any of the post-Pop albums without a second thought. It's a very big part of the U2 that I fell in love with when I was young – my first U2 album was Pop and I was a teenager in the 90s, so the atmospheric electronica is right up my street.

Offline lucas.homem

• Numb
« Reply #608 on: September 16, 2017, 01:16:05 PM »

Passengers is perfect from the beginning to Elvis Ate America.

Offline WhenIsSOE

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • aka The Ultra Beasts (Welcome back!)
« Reply #609 on: September 17, 2017, 03:36:27 PM »

Well it does have Miss Sarajevo, Slug, Always Forever Now, and Your Blue Room (all of which could vie for a top 10 slot if they'd been released post-2000, in my opinion).
Your opinions of the only good songs on Passengers are EXACTLY THE SAME as my opinion of the only good songs on Passengers!!!

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #610 on: September 17, 2017, 07:29:19 PM »

Your opinions of the only good songs on Passengers are EXACTLY THE SAME as my opinion of the only good songs on Passengers!!!

Well cheers to that! Although I never said they were the ONLY good songs on Passengers....

PS - Ain't gonna rot in a Memphis plot, Dr. King died just across the lot.

Offline U2-4-LIFE

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #611 on: September 17, 2017, 08:14:22 PM »
Off topic, but would have loved to hear Beach Sequence playing over the speakers before they came out to play Miss Sarajevo in the encore. during the 1st 2 legs of JT30