Author Topic: SOE update  (Read 21047 times)

Offline dontwantwhatideserve

• Stateless
  • moaning periodically...
Re: SOE update
« Reply #75 on: July 18, 2017, 08:04:22 AM »
My prediction, something akin to Sgt. Peppers...a collection of band-themed, personal singles that cover a range of styles. ATYCLB was their Abbey Road after POP. They've never had an album with a wide range of styles...just albums with a range of songs trying to please everyone. To defend the disenchanted but hopeful AB/Z/Pop-era fans (of which I'm one), I don't think we need the sound of that era, as much as we need the freshness. At their best, U2 has been a hit-oriented-band that with a curious nature. At their worst, they've been a U2 formula through a blender...or even worse, chasing after a sound or note they can't pull off anymore. TLTTGYA has nice lyrics and potential. TBT could be a great throw-away single...as long as it's more Holy Joe and less The Miracle. I like most of SOI, but The Miracle is such a weak start. It says "Welcome to Apple (not The Big Apple)." I wish we'd get more than 12 songs--maybe some extras in remix form only. Just my thoughts...

Offline lorijane

• Airborne Ranger
  • We picked the right band
« Reply #76 on: July 18, 2017, 08:07:22 AM »
Ya know, I hear a lot about how U2 should make the music they want to make, and it seems they want to make music that has a wide appeal.  Of courae there are U2 songs I like more than others, but at this point I have few expectations.

Online an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #77 on: July 18, 2017, 08:11:43 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
So let me get this straight:

We've moved from: "U2 delayed their next album for a cash-in tour celebrating an old album!  They're catering to the casuals!  Their spent as a creative force!  I'd much rather they release SOE than do a nostalgia tour!", to: "SOE is gonna be MOR!  They're deliberately crafting a single to be a radio hit!  It's probably not gonna be very good!"

Does anyone else see the irony of both of these arguments coming from the very same people?  "How dare they not release their album!  Their next album's probably gonna suck!"  I even pointed this out when the complaints first started rolling in with the JTJT17 tour announcement.  And this is from a guy who's been hit and miss with their recent work.

I'll address the MOR part as that is clearly aimed at me...

Yes - I do think it will be a very MOR record - but that is absolutely their right as a band to release what they want when they want... what i or anyone else think it will sound like is an opinion and it may or may not be a good shout we won't know until it is released...and even then it is subjective isn't it. 

I am strongly of the view that this album will be almost like a last big swing for a massive hit, where they will very deliberately load up every trick they know when it comes to looking for the biggest possible mass reach and it will be a very, very overtly pop rock/MOR record.....i also stand by saying it won't have the impact they hope and will be a watershed that ushers in a new direction for them - a new modus operandi.

Now instead of just slagging others opinions (you know the very thing that discussion of forums are built on) what is yours about what the album may be like?

I can't answer the 'won't be very good' part you mention either as that wasn't me....

You'll also NEVER hear me moaning about not releasing an album etc so I can't answer for that either - i've long said that for a band who average a record about every 4 years or so over the last 25 years that we aren't quite 3 years removed from the last one so anything at all in next few months is well ahead of 'normal service' and frankly to expect anything else outside of such a well set pattern is a little foolish...as it happens it looks like they will get an album out just over 3 years after the last one so that has to be seen as a bonus regardless of how good, bad or indifferent people may find it when it is released.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 08:15:09 AM by an tha »

Offline georgemccauley

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #78 on: July 18, 2017, 08:19:51 AM »
All I'm hoping for with SOE is for it to be more of a rock record!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #79 on: July 18, 2017, 08:24:21 AM »
Ya know, I hear a lot about how U2 should make the music they want to make, and it seems they want to make music that has a wide appeal.  Of courae there are U2 songs I like more than others, but at this point I have few expectations.

I've never known U2 to be a quiet little indie band, and I have never known them to play that fake, po-faced, we don't want to be big crap like the grunge bands and Radiohead. I'm not sure what about U2 seeking mass appeal is new.

Ironically enough, Pop was U2 actively and unabashedly chasing the sound that was popular at the time, and look at the disaster than ensued. The rest of the time, when they have been popular, it is because the world came to them. U2's music is typically soaring and inspiring or emotional and thought-provoking, and that attracts people.

Online an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #80 on: July 18, 2017, 08:33:12 AM »

I've never known U2 to be a quiet little indie band, and I have never known them to play that fake, po-faced, we don't want to be big crap like the grunge bands and Radiohead. I'm not sure what about U2 seeking mass appeal is new.

Ironically enough, Pop was U2 actively and unabashedly chasing the sound that was popular at the time, and look at the disaster than ensued. The rest of the time, when they have been popular, it is because the world came to them. U2's music is typically soaring and inspiring or emotional and thought-provoking, and that attracts people.

What is this 'fake crap' you talk about with radiohead - I am really interested to know...

Offline aviastar

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • Feel like trash...you make me feel clean
« Reply #81 on: July 18, 2017, 08:38:39 AM »
I do think maybe we should let them release it before we start tearing it apart.  I mean, it might be good, folks :P

I have high hopes...I really liked SOI so I think the band is still going in a good direction for their status, and place in rock.

Offline MPare1966

• Refugee
  • Trying to throw my arms around the world.
« Reply #82 on: July 18, 2017, 09:11:39 AM »
I do think maybe we should let them release it before we start tearing it apart.  I mean, it might be good, folks :P

^
This

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #83 on: July 18, 2017, 09:14:20 AM »

We've moved from: "U2 delayed their next album for a cash-in tour celebrating an old album!  They're catering to the casuals!  Their spent as a creative force!  I'd much rather they release SOE than do a nostalgia tour!", to: "SOE is gonna be MOR!  They're deliberately crafting a single to be a radio hit!  It's probably not gonna be very good!"

Does anyone else see the irony of both of these arguments coming from the very same people?  "How dare they not release their album!  Their next album's probably gonna suck!"  I even pointed this out when the complaints first started rolling in with the JTJT17 tour announcement.  And this is from a guy who's been hit and miss with their recent work.

Yes - I do think it will be a very MOR record - but that is absolutely their right as a band to release what they want when they want... what i or anyone else think it will sound like is an opinion and it may or may not be a good shout we won't know until it is released...and even then it is subjective isn't it. 

I am strongly of the view that this album will be almost like a last big swing for a massive hit, where they will very deliberately load up every trick they know when it comes to looking for the biggest possible mass reach and it will be a very, very overtly pop rock/MOR record.....i also stand by saying it won't have the impact they hope and will be a watershed that ushers in a new direction for them - a new modus operandi.

Now instead of just slagging others opinions (you know the very thing that discussion of forums are built on) what is yours about what the album may be like?

I can't answer the 'won't be very good' part you mention either as that wasn't me....

You'll also NEVER hear me moaning about not releasing an album etc so I can't answer for that either - i've long said that for a band who average a record about every 4 years or so over the last 25 years that we aren't quite 3 years removed from the last one so anything at all in next few months is well ahead of 'normal service' and frankly to expect anything else outside of such a well set pattern is a little foolish...as it happens it looks like they will get an album out just over 3 years after the last one so that has to be seen as a bonus regardless of how good, bad or indifferent people may find it when it is released.

I try not to criticize anyone for expressing an opinion--of course, that's what we're all here for.  It's more just the consistent slagging the band gets, no matter what they do--or in this case, haven't even done yet.  And I may be wrong, but I would swear some of the people who criticized the band for "delaying" SOE are already complaining that SOE won't be very good anyway.

In truth, my guess about the next album isn't much different than yours.  But they've been MOR for upwards of 17 years now.  They've settled into a sound, more or less, since ATYCLB.  And every album in that period, and honestly, even BEFORE that period, has had a carefully crafted single aimed straight for radio.  Whether or not they've been successful is another matter, but The Miracle, EBW, Invisible, Crazy Tonight, GOYB, Vertigo, Beautiful Day, and Elevation all share that in common.  And they even share it with Staring at the Sun, Mysterious Ways, and One.

I also haven't been REALLY moved by a U2 album in some time, and that's fine.  I'm not expecting Achtung Baby, no.  But I'm also not complaining about them touring TJT17.  I know their time won't last forever, and I'm comfortable hearing one of my favorite albums live while they're still around to do it.  I'm probably more interested in that stuff than their new stuff these days.

I guess I'd just say, one: is anyone really expecting something different with their next album?  And two: is it even worth criticizing until they release it?

Online eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #84 on: July 18, 2017, 09:41:27 AM »

I try not to criticize anyone for expressing an opinion--of course, that's what we're all here for.  It's more just the consistent slagging the band gets, no matter what they do--or in this case, haven't even done yet.  And I may be wrong, but I would swear some of the people who criticized the band for "delaying" SOE are already complaining that SOE won't be very good anyway.

In truth, my guess about the next album isn't much different than yours.  But they've been MOR for upwards of 17 years now.  They've settled into a sound, more or less, since ATYCLB.  And every album in that period, and honestly, even BEFORE that period, has had a carefully crafted single aimed straight for radio.  Whether or not they've been successful is another matter, but The Miracle, EBW, Invisible, Crazy Tonight, GOYB, Vertigo, Beautiful Day, and Elevation all share that in common.  And they even share it with Staring at the Sun, Mysterious Ways, and One.

I also haven't been REALLY moved by a U2 album in some time, and that's fine.  I'm not expecting Achtung Baby, no.  But I'm also not complaining about them touring TJT17.  I know their time won't last forever, and I'm comfortable hearing one of my favorite albums live while they're still around to do it.  I'm probably more interested in that stuff than their new stuff these days.

I guess I'd just say, one: is anyone really expecting something different with their next album?  And two: is it even worth criticizing until they release it?

Oh An Tha loves to be critical of the band these days, take it with a pinch of salt! I look forward to hearing SOE.

Online an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #85 on: July 18, 2017, 09:57:46 AM »

Reasonable points - i like reading stuff like you have written here, it helps get interesting discussion going more...

For what it is worth i personally have no issue with the JT nostalgia thing - i found it an ok show and we all know (well pretty much we think we do) why they are doing it.

I am not at all against those kind of shows anyway i have seen a few and some have been among the best shows i have ever seen....Manics Holy Bible for example.

As far as u2's musical direction goes it is always going to get churned over and over and over in here and i suppose the same stuff will be said again and again and again.

I look at it like this now - I still do wish the band would be more 'experimental' or 'darker' i do personally want more SLABT and less SFS for example - I do wish they would step away from pop rock I personally prefer Cedars to Crazy Tonight....but that is just my own taste and there is plenty of artists out there making music i love....

I listen to that and i am happy with that and if u2 add something to that then great. I liked a lot of SOI for example.

U2 will put out what they put out and what i hope for or want whilst of some interest on here maybe to some and as a way of wasting time for me because i enjoy wasting time on here is ultimately irrelevant - the new u2 album when it arrives will be what it is and i look forward to the endless discussion of it on here and the inevitable differing opinions etc as the cycle repeats and moves on to the next record...and so on!

If the album hits home a little, a lot or not at all with each of us it does not really matter that much it will be different for all of us - but we'll all be here chatting about it, arguing about it, and so on....and there is of course nothing wrong with that.

I don't expect a new u2 album to blow me away totally now, but i am also not going to just assume it will be rubbish without hearing it - i'll find it how i find it and be honest about how i feel about it whether i find it good, bad or indifferent or a mixed bag or the greatest thing ever....it will be my own view like yours will be yours and anyone elses will be anyone elses.....nobody is right, nobody is wrong.

Let the fun begin!
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 10:00:53 AM by an tha »

Online an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #86 on: July 18, 2017, 10:02:33 AM »

Oh An Tha loves to be critical of the band these days, take it with a pinch of salt! I look forward to hearing SOE.

And there is the very antithesis of good and interesting discussion/debate.

Online eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #87 on: July 18, 2017, 11:21:29 AM »

And there is the very antithesis of good and interesting discussion/debate.

There it is!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline jjcruiser

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #88 on: July 18, 2017, 11:23:59 AM »
Seems like the hipster street cred arguments are in full force as of late...  :-\

Amen.

Sometimes it sounds to me like some of the more hardcore fans on here (and outside this forum I'm considered to be that by everyone that knows me), aren't really interested in U2 songs sounding good anymore.  It's about pushing the envelope into abstraction. 

Personally I think all their albums have been beautiful and brilliant *except* for Passengers, which except for YBR and MS was no more than lousy ambiguous self indulgence.  If they can manage to make something crossed between All You Can't and SOI, I'll be thrilled out of my mind.

i was thrilled with ATYCLB when it came out but all these years later i don't like but maybe 2 or 3 of the songs enough to really seek out a listen. the MDH stuff i still love though.

I don't know what MDH" stands for (or MOR which everyone keeps using to, for that matter), but I have different impression.  I think I listen to ATYCLB and HTDAAB more than the others.  Maybe it's just a phase though. 

It would be nice to have a new album.  It's all gravy at this point.  But I like gravy.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #89 on: July 18, 2017, 11:32:01 AM »
the *sigh* SOE will be more MOR pop rock radio catering songs AND the JT tour as nostalgia cash grab have both been around since the start of the year.