Author Topic: SOE update  (Read 42136 times)

Offline 73October

• Numb
  • Joy is an act of defiance
Re: SOE update
« Reply #90 on: July 18, 2017, 11:38:13 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I do think maybe we should let them release it before we start tearing it apart.  I mean, it might be good, folks :P

^
This

And this.....
I'm gonna buy it - it's by the best band in the world right now.  What's not to like?

Offline aviastar

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Feel like trash...you make me feel clean
« Reply #91 on: July 18, 2017, 11:44:48 AM »
I don't know what MDH" stands for (or MOR which everyone keeps using to, for that matter), but I have different impression.  I think I listen to ATYCLB and HTDAAB more than the others.  Maybe it's just a phase though. 

It would be nice to have a new album.  It's all gravy at this point.  But I like gravy.

MDH = Million Dollar Hotel Soundtrack, which included some great U2 songs Stateless, The Ground Beneath Her Feet (which was not included on the US version of ATYCLB), and Never Let Me Go.  Pretty crappy movie though - Bono wrote the initial script but it probably got chewed up in the Hollywood script machine.

MOR = Middle of the Road.  Commercial, radio-friendly, appeals to the masses.  Meant as an insult but I don't always think it is.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 11:47:34 AM by aviastar »

Offline bass slap

• Running to Stand Still
  • Hot as a hair dryer.. In your face!
« Reply #92 on: July 18, 2017, 12:29:35 PM »
Seems like the hipster street cred arguments are in full force as of late...  :-\

I would argue that no hipsters listen to u2 period. It was probably acceptable to listen to boy and post punk period u2 back in 2004/5..

I think some fans just like and worship anything u2 release, and offer little in the way of critique. Others like to be challenged a little more and know that u2 are capable of being musical chameleons to suit just about any genre, and wish for a departure from the sound of late.

Offline xy

• Child of Grace
« Reply #93 on: July 18, 2017, 12:39:34 PM »
So let me get this straight:

We've moved from: "U2 delayed their next album for a cash-in tour celebrating an old album!  They're catering to the casuals!  Their spent as a creative force!  I'd much rather they release SOE than do a nostalgia tour!", to: "SOE is gonna be MOR!  They're deliberately crafting a single to be a radio hit!  It's probably not gonna be very good!"

Does anyone else see the irony of both of these arguments coming from the very same people?  "How dare they not release their album!  Their next album's probably gonna suck!"  I even pointed this out when the complaints first started rolling in with the JTJT17 tour announcement.  And this is from a guy who's been hit and miss with their recent work. 

The irony is fine indeed. "U2 sucks for delaying their album!" / "U2's new album will suck!" ad infinitum moaning since ATYCLB, with a sprinkle of "but U2 should make the music they want!".
Since U2 doesn't have a problem with having SLABT or SOE both on the same album, I don't see why some of their fans can't embrace different sides of the band.

Offline jjcruiser

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #94 on: July 18, 2017, 12:49:33 PM »
I don't know what MDH" stands for (or MOR which everyone keeps using to, for that matter), but I have different impression.  I think I listen to ATYCLB and HTDAAB more than the others.  Maybe it's just a phase though. 

It would be nice to have a new album.  It's all gravy at this point.  But I like gravy.

MDH = Million Dollar Hotel Soundtrack, which included some great U2 songs Stateless, The Ground Beneath Her Feet (which was not included on the US version of ATYCLB), and Never Let Me Go.  Pretty crappy movie though - Bono wrote the initial script but it probably got chewed up in the Hollywood script machine.

MOR = Middle of the Road.  Commercial, radio-friendly, appeals to the masses.  Meant as an insult but I don't always think it is.

Thanks.

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
« Reply #95 on: July 18, 2017, 01:58:07 PM »
And here I was thinking that MOR stood for "Mom-Oriented Rock" this whole time... well, there's not much difference there anyway, right?  :)

Offline ZEROpartII

• Child of Grace
« Reply #96 on: July 18, 2017, 02:24:13 PM »
Indebted Step-Uncle Rock (ISUR)

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
  • I know that this is not goodbye, my forum friends!
« Reply #97 on: July 18, 2017, 02:25:43 PM »
And here I was thinking that MOR stood for "Mom-Oriented Rock" this whole time... well, there's not much difference there anyway, right?  :)
That's my boy!

Offline PookaMacP

• Refugee
« Reply #98 on: July 18, 2017, 03:08:17 PM »

We've moved from: "U2 delayed their next album for a cash-in tour celebrating an old album!  They're catering to the casuals!  Their spent as a creative force!  I'd much rather they release SOE than do a nostalgia tour!", to: "SOE is gonna be MOR!  They're deliberately crafting a single to be a radio hit!  It's probably not gonna be very good!"

Does anyone else see the irony of both of these arguments coming from the very same people?  "How dare they not release their album!  Their next album's probably gonna suck!"  I even pointed this out when the complaints first started rolling in with the JTJT17 tour announcement.  And this is from a guy who's been hit and miss with their recent work.

I actually think the two are directly linked: both arguments point to a stunted ambition from a band that was once pushing the boundaries but now has to always second-guess itself.

Having said that, I'd personally much rather they took ten years to make a stellar record than two to make a mediocre one. Let's be honest, we already have as much U2 as we will probably ever need.

Offline MadRob360

• Refugee
  • Jealousy Is A Disease
« Reply #99 on: July 18, 2017, 03:18:40 PM »
I've said it a few times now, On a personal level i'm just happy my favourite band is still touring and making new music. The problem a lot of people have i think is that they seem to forget, The guys are in their late 50's now. They've done just about all there is to do in music, They could quite happily call it a day now if they wanted to. I for one don't want 'another achtung baby' or 'another PoP'. 2 of my favourite U2 records of course, But do we need them again? I'm not so sure. And of course, Songs like SLABT and The Troubles are absolute gold to me, The band seemingly letting any pressure of a 'hit' go and just being 4 guys making music again. But on the same note, I'm happy if they want to go for 'hits', In a world where music is now largely manufactured c**p, To me almost anything U2 put out at this point is better than the garbage on most radio stations (some may argue they've had a few garbage singles in recent years - i disagree but n/m). When all is said and done, When this band puts out a record and tours it, I'm happy to go to multiple shows, Because not 1 other band has made me feel like this one when they play live, it's just something else. You can't please everyone, and everyone is fully entitled to an opinion (especially when they're buying records, tickets and merch etc!) But my hope for SOE if i had to give one is just a more cohesive album overall rather than feeling like it's the best bits from several different records put together.  8)

Offline bass slap

• Running to Stand Still
  • Hot as a hair dryer.. In your face!
« Reply #100 on: July 18, 2017, 03:41:43 PM »

I actually think the two are directly linked: both arguments point to a stunted ambition from a band that was once pushing the boundaries but now has to always second-guess itself.

Having said that, I'd personally much rather they took ten years to make a stellar record than two to make a mediocre one. Let's be honest, we already have as much U2 as we will probably ever need.

I would say they have proven they can spend time on an album and not get it quite right.

It comes down to decision making? They could spend 8 years, get it to a point of what they think is perfection, then make last minute changes, throw in a song that's just been written, pick an absolute dog as the lead single, re write or polish the songs just one more time.. etcetera.

I agree though, they have delivered enough material. Anything else a bonus, but a short lived one. I'm unlikely to revisit any of the last 3 albums in any detail, but always go back to the 80's & 90's stuff and can listen to boy, TUF, JT, AB, POP from start to finish when the mood takes me.

It's because I grew up with these albums, or at least discovered them at an impressionable age, which is in part what makes them great, rather than good..and longevity

I get why they target new younger audiences, it's maximum impact when it pays off. No matter how good new work is, it can't compete with the album that helped you through your turbulent teen years. So why try and target people in their late 30's,40's 50's?

At best it will be semi enthusiastic response from someone that enjoys going through the motions of a new u2 release, only to file it away after a few months of its existence. Tap into a young persons mind and you could create the sound track to their youth.

Offline jenniferh aka jen

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
« Reply #101 on: July 18, 2017, 04:11:16 PM »
Bono said in Barcelona tonight that the album will be out by the end of the year, according to Edge.

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
  • I know that this is not goodbye, my forum friends!
« Reply #102 on: July 18, 2017, 04:13:02 PM »
Bono said in Barcelona tonight that the album will be out by the end of the year, according to Edge.
"I can't say why, but I know I have to believe"...

monopoly

« Reply #103 on: July 18, 2017, 04:35:26 PM »

He doesn't want to take the blame anymore.

Offline Albono

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #104 on: July 19, 2017, 03:46:05 AM »
The Light at Home (That I Can't Replace Without the Medium-Sized Ladder I Lent to My Neighbor Francis)

Awesome title!!!  ;D