Author Topic: SOE update  (Read 42302 times)

Offline fna692002

• Babyface
Re: SOE update
« Reply #45 on: July 16, 2017, 09:27:54 PM »
updated post on U2songs saying TBT is the likely first single...

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2017, 12:35:16 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
This really worries me.

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #47 on: July 17, 2017, 01:08:32 AM »
It's nice to see that my prediction (based on the X-mas video) appears to still be holding true: that the album will be released by the end of 2017. I know a lot of people doubted it (fairly, given U2's track record) and probably still do, but I'm still confident that SoE is coming within the next 5.5 months.

As for the idea of a listening party, it's hardly a new thing in the music business. Many artists--though typically those who aren't massively popular--do it. Usually this is done when the album is close to coming out, but some artists do it to gather feedback. That's what U2 seems to be doing.

I would venture to guess that hardcore fans aren't being invited to these listening parties. They're biased and aren't the base U2 are targeting. Now, don't get me wrong, U2 care about their fans and what they think, but they're still seemingly focused on the relevancy thing. They need to know if the songs are something that casual fans/people who aren't fans at all/radio people will like. I'm guessing these are the sorts of people at the listening parties.

Personally, I think it's dumb to still focus on getting a hit as it has the possibility of cheapening their legacy if done wrong. However, what I have heard of the samples/lyrics for the new songs so far, seems to suggest a very solid album. I happen to like Little Things and feel it has the potential to be one of the better songs on the album. I also see potential in Best Thing, provided all instances of electronic sounds are removed from it (which, again, it sounds like is the case). I haven't heard the other songs (aside from the one sampled in Kendrick's track, which also sounds like it has potential) but I'm optimistic.

I think someone else said that, given the rumored tracks, this album may be one of the most musically diverse U2 has released in a long time, where every song is pretty different (and thinking about the three we have heard in some shape or form, this makes sense--they're all so different). That's exciting to me.

As far as market saturation? People have to realize that U2 are one of the biggest bands of all time and they are the biggest that is still regularly touring. We've lost many legendary musicians the last several years and I'm sure because of that, there's a certain urgency to see artists in concert before they stop touring. Combine this factor with the fact that U2 puts on one of the best live shows around and is pretty reasonable with many ticket prices (compared to other huge artists) and the fact that they're allegedly sticking to arenas next year...well, I don't think they'll have any difficulty selling out multiple nights in most cities. The 2015 tour ignored many, many major markets. TJT tour only partially satisfied these markets--they're still hungry for more.

monopoly

« Reply #48 on: July 17, 2017, 01:34:09 AM »
This really worries me.

Throwback Thursday?

monopoly

« Reply #49 on: July 17, 2017, 01:37:56 AM »
Even "hits" in today's world aren't really hits. The radio stations are paid to play the same thing over and and over again. Songs from 2013 like "clarity" or "get lucky" aren't even played anymore and are considered old. Real Hits like WOWY get played occasionally to this day.

The meaning of the word hit has been lost. U2 should stop chasing that and make music that resonates live.

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #50 on: July 17, 2017, 01:41:07 AM »
Even "hits" in today's world aren't really hits. The radio stations are paid to play the same thing over and and over again. Songs from 2013 like "clarity" or "get lucky" aren't even played anymore and are considered old. Real Hits like WOWY get played occasionally to this day.

The meaning of the word hit has been lost. U2 should stop chasing that and make music that resonates live.

1000% agreed.

Offline The Edges Cat

• Desert Rose
« Reply #51 on: July 17, 2017, 03:38:24 AM »
visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

My god they look like their dads! I could have sworn that was a young Bono. And Edge's daughter is so Morleigh, but I can see her old man there too.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 04:12:09 AM by The Edges Cat »

Offline aviastar

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Feel like trash...you make me feel clean
« Reply #52 on: July 17, 2017, 05:38:33 AM »
If this is the cover (which seems highly since I saw them throw it up on the screen in Chicago), then I really like it. Though I kinda wish they'd put Peter Rowan on there again...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline MattD

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #53 on: July 17, 2017, 06:13:03 AM »
The Best Thing as first single?

Utterly pathetic song, I just have no idea who they are trying to kid - it's not as if it's going to storm the charts, and the only folk who will like it are MOR Radio 2 listeners more suited to Elaine Page and Englebert Humperdinck.

Someone with a bit of creative balls really needs to tell them to get a grip.

Offline aviastar

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Feel like trash...you make me feel clean
« Reply #54 on: July 17, 2017, 06:43:22 AM »

Utterly pathetic song, I just have no idea who they are trying to kid - it's not as if it's going to storm the charts, and the only folk who will like it are MOR Radio 2 listeners more suited to Elaine Page and Englebert Humperdinck.

They say it's going to be different than the version we have heard - (KYGO remix??).  I'm not enthused about that version - it doesn't sound like U2 to me (I don't even hear Edge's distinctive guitar sounds).  But I am holding out hope that The Best Thing that appears on SOE is quite different - and more interesting - than the one that the public has heard so far - which sounds like something they play over the PA at Forever 21.

Offline Daniel94

• Refugee
« Reply #55 on: July 17, 2017, 09:36:44 AM »

Hope swiftly dashed

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
« Reply #56 on: July 17, 2017, 12:33:35 PM »
This really worries me.

Throwback Thursday?
The Best Thing. I know, it took me a little bit, too!

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #57 on: July 17, 2017, 12:35:59 PM »
i still think it'll be TLTTGYA

Offline 73October

• Numb
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #58 on: July 17, 2017, 12:42:32 PM »

They say it's going to be different than the version we have heard - (KYGO remix??).  I'm not enthused about that version - it doesn't sound like U2 to me (I don't even hear Edge's distinctive guitar sounds).  But I am holding out hope that The Best Thing that appears on SOE is quite different - and more interesting - than the one that the public has heard so far - which sounds like something they play over the PA at Forever 21.

This is probably going to sound closer to the SOE version than the KYGO remix....but the finished band version should have more 'punch' to it than this good effort.

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #59 on: July 17, 2017, 12:44:20 PM »

Really, you've heard the final versions of every song on the album, and you think TBT is a pathetic choice?

I know it sounds like I am being a ****, but to make that statement, you really have to have heard the final version of this song AND everything else on the album. So unless you have, I am not sure why you would want to be so negative about a rumor that is still 6 weeks away from being proved. Are you just trying to avoid the Christmas rush and be miserable early?