Author Topic: U2 interview on Apple Beats 1 - 7/20  (Read 3988 times)

Offline skelter

• Running to Stand Still
  • Drowning is no sin
Re: U2 interview on Apple Beats 1 - 7/20
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2017, 04:12:39 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
It's on youtube now

Edge telling his story about the mushrooms!!!! about 16 minutes in.

Thanks for the link! I'm halfway through watching. Yeah, they (Bono and Edge) are telling many "rare" stories. Maybe that whiskey lubricated them  ;D

I agree it's beautifully shot. Many nice frames of Adam and Edge leaning in close, in parallel, etc  ;D ;D

I don't know how the band's chatter relates to their output on SOE album though.

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2017, 05:29:52 PM »
I'm only halfway through, but this is a great interview so far.

It's best when the interviewer is actually a fan of the band, it peaks their interest (obviously).

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2017, 08:36:15 PM »
Very good interview.  They responded well since he (Zane) is a fan and they seemed to feed off of that.  Interesting to hear that Bono didn't think "Streets" was a great lyrical moment.  He is really hard on himself.

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Staring at the Sun
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2017, 08:38:12 PM »
Nicely filmed, shame about the presenter, I hate ZL, he wants to be everyone's best friend.

So what should he do? Be openly antagonistic? He's clearly a fan of the band, and fans of U2 tend to get the best interviews out of them.

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Staring at the Sun
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2017, 08:40:56 PM »
Awesome interview. When someone is talking about the details of a U2 song, you can see that that's when the band responds the best to the question. For me, the line "You glorify the past when the future dries up" is the lyric that has been looming over the Joshua Tree 2017 tour. That the band is very aware of the idea, to the point where Bono even cites that lyric, makes me feel a lot better about what's coming. And if "You're The Best Thing About Me" is the single that leads into a stellar album, I couldn't care less.

Offline aviastar

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Feel like trash...you make me feel clean
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2017, 08:57:19 PM »
I love that they openly spread some love to EPaA.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 10:47:16 AM by aviastar »

Offline aussieu2

• Wanderer
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2017, 09:03:13 PM »
is this available as a podcast? wanna save it for the drive home

Offline JFW

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Wondering why I still walk the earth
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2017, 02:05:46 AM »
Was this the first time U2 talked about Showman? Bono didn't seem to be excited about that. 'It's a beatle song, just a pop song' (can't remember the exact quote)

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
U2 interview on Apple Beats 1 - 7/20
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2017, 02:11:44 AM »
Nicely filmed, shame about the presenter, I hate ZL, he wants to be everyone's best friend.

So what should he do? Be openly antagonistic? He's clearly a fan of the band, and fans of U2 tend to get the best interviews out of them.

He's a fan of everyone he interviews, he tries to come across as sincere but it's oh so contrived to me. I can't stand him.

This interview wanted to delve into the Joshua Tree but it offered barely anything new or interesting other than how the band feels moving forward on to SOE. There are so many questions that could be asked but all we are ever given is staple answers from the band I've heard 20 times and read numerous times in print.

ZL is a brown nosing master. Kudos to the filming style and direction though. I do it for a living and was highly impressed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline xy

• Child of Grace
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2017, 03:11:21 AM »
What's everyone raving about ? How many times have we heard the "it better be good" talk re: next album. And I love how in 40+ minutes spend on defending a nostalgia tour, barely a few lines are given to SOE, and even those pathetically vague. The mushroom story totally saved the day.

Also : more shaving, less shades might help out with the ageing....

Offline Volcanogirl

• Elevated
  • The goal is Elevation !
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2017, 03:18:17 AM »
Very good interview.  They responded well since he (Zane) is a fan and they seemed to feed off of that.  Interesting to hear that Bono didn't think "Streets" was a great lyrical moment.  He is really hard on himself.
yeah, i agree. That hardness/doubt makes him so strong. Your at your best when you constantly trying to be better.

Offline Blueyedboy

• Running to Stand Still
  • Embrace the challenge
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2017, 03:48:01 AM »

He's a fan of everyone he interviews, he tries to come across as sincere but it's oh so contrived to me. I can't stand him.

This interview wanted to delve into the Joshua Tree but it offered barely anything new or interesting other than how the band feels moving forward on to SOE. There are so many questions that could be asked but all we are ever given is staple answers from the band I've heard 20 times and read numerous times in print.

ZL is a brown nosing master. Kudos to the filming style and direction though. I do it for a living and was highly impressed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zane Lowe knows his sh**. His talent for spotting new artists is second to none.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 03:07:31 PM by Blueyedboy »

Offline Smee

• Numb
  • Im Eddie and im a Monkey
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2017, 09:18:27 AM »

I wonder then, what Bono thinks of lesser u2 songs...like Vertigo and Elevation?

Offline skelter

• Running to Stand Still
  • Drowning is no sin
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2017, 10:21:43 AM »

I wonder then, what Bono thinks of lesser u2 songs...like Vertigo and Elevation?

He knows these songs brought them great commercial success, and gets the crowd going at live shows. U2 won't appreciate being asked their true opinion of Vertigo and Elevation, or admitting it's lesser.

Same way Ralph Fiennes feels about his Voldermort role, Gary Oldman feels about his Sirius Black role, Mark Ruffalo feels about his Hulk role (lol). It makes them big bucks but they have many other artful roles they want to sit and talk about for 40 minutes.

Vertigo brought them great mainstream relevancy with the ipod ad, and it was also the last big U2 song played frequently on popular, current radio (sad to think it was that long ago). God knows NLOTH had no radio hits.

Elevation was also good for their commercial success (being the Lara Croft 2001 movie song). It bolstered/added to Beautiful Day to cement ATYCLB as a popular, successful album with the masses.

Also, what is EPIA? I still haven't watched it finish.

Offline aviastar

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Feel like trash...you make me feel clean
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2017, 10:46:31 AM »

Also, what is EPIA? I still haven't watched it finish.

Sorry mistype...I meant EPaA...Elvis Presley and America.