Author Topic: U2 interview on Apple Beats 1 - 7/20  (Read 3989 times)

Offline kango

• Desert Rose
  • I know I'm not a hopeless case.
Re: U2 interview on Apple Beats 1 - 7/20
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2017, 03:04:04 PM »
Thoroughly enjoyed that. I can't think of a better U2 interview on film. This felt like the real deal and closest to the exchanges we only usually see in print e.g. Bono on Bono. Because they seemed to forgot about the camera and wanted to be challenged. Yes some familiar stories cropped up but only because I have obsessively poured over their history. To non obsessives, this would have been very fresh and revealing.

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
  • I know that this is not goodbye, my forum friends!
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2017, 04:10:08 PM »
I finally made the time to watch the interview...really enjoyed it. Especially the whispering at the end "by the end of the year" YES!!!

Offline durk

• Babyface
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2017, 07:16:34 PM »
really good interview. very enlightening.

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Staring at the Sun
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2017, 12:39:29 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Nicely filmed, shame about the presenter, I hate ZL, he wants to be everyone's best friend.

So what should he do? Be openly antagonistic? He's clearly a fan of the band, and fans of U2 tend to get the best interviews out of them.

He's a fan of everyone he interviews, he tries to come across as sincere but it's oh so contrived to me. I can't stand him.

This interview wanted to delve into the Joshua Tree but it offered barely anything new or interesting other than how the band feels moving forward on to SOE. There are so many questions that could be asked but all we are ever given is staple answers from the band I've heard 20 times and read numerous times in print.

ZL is a brown nosing master. Kudos to the filming style and direction though. I do it for a living and was highly impressed.

Or it is possible that he is just a thorough fan of popular music with a wide breadth of knowledge on the subject, which is why he works so well as a DJ. People are allowed to have professions that match very well with their interests. He knew exactly what he was talking about in his U2 interview. Exactly what he was talking about. If that's what he brings to all his interviews, I'd bet he's a fan with encyclopedic knowledge, not a fake with encyclopedic knowledge.

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Staring at the Sun
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2017, 12:43:18 AM »
Very good interview.  They responded well since he (Zane) is a fan and they seemed to feed off of that.  Interesting to hear that Bono didn't think "Streets" was a great lyrical moment.  He is really hard on himself.

I wonder then, what Bono thinks of lesser u2 songs...like Vertigo and Elevation?

He knows these songs brought them great commercial success, and gets the crowd going at live shows. U2 won't appreciate being asked their true opinion of Vertigo and Elevation, or admitting it's lesser.

Same way Ralph Fiennes feels about his Voldermort role, Gary Oldman feels about his Sirius Black role, Mark Ruffalo feels about his Hulk role (lol). It makes them big bucks but they have many other artful roles they want to sit and talk about for 40 minutes.

Vertigo brought them great mainstream relevancy with the ipod ad, and it was also the last big U2 song played frequently on popular, current radio (sad to think it was that long ago). God knows NLOTH had no radio hits.

Elevation was also good for their commercial success (being the Lara Croft 2001 movie song). It bolstered/added to Beautiful Day to cement ATYCLB as a popular, successful album with the masses.

Also, what is EPIA? I still haven't watched it finish.

I think it is a massive mistake for a fan to impose their interpretation of a song on to what U2 think of the same song. Fans worship Streets, for good reason, but Bono thinks it lacks finished lyrics. Conversely, he may think Vertigo's lyrics are solid. Everyone gets to interpret art in their own way, including the art's creator.

Offline zoo adam

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2017, 02:46:32 AM »
If SOE is released at the end of the year, that is almost exactly 3 years since SOI. This is a big improvement from most previous gaps since Zooropa.

They obviously wanted to celebrate TJT & a 30 year celebration was the perfect time.

Offline georgemccauley

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2017, 12:10:55 PM »
December 1st is the day! ;)

I don't think even U2 are foolish enough to not release a new album off the back of a hugely successful tour!

Or are they? ;)

Offline 73October

• Numb
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2017, 03:08:30 PM »
Very good interview.  They responded well since he (Zane) is a fan and they seemed to feed off of that.  Interesting to hear that Bono didn't think "Streets" was a great lyrical moment.  He is really hard on himself.

I wonder then, what Bono thinks of lesser u2 songs...like Vertigo and Elevation?

He knows these songs brought them great commercial success, and gets the crowd going at live shows. U2 won't appreciate being asked their true opinion of Vertigo and Elevation, or admitting it's lesser.

Same way Ralph Fiennes feels about his Voldermort role, Gary Oldman feels about his Sirius Black role, Mark Ruffalo feels about his Hulk role (lol). It makes them big bucks but they have many other artful roles they want to sit and talk about for 40 minutes.

Vertigo brought them great mainstream relevancy with the ipod ad, and it was also the last big U2 song played frequently on popular, current radio (sad to think it was that long ago). God knows NLOTH had no radio hits.

Elevation was also good for their commercial success (being the Lara Croft 2001 movie song). It bolstered/added to Beautiful Day to cement ATYCLB as a popular, successful album with the masses.

I think it is a massive mistake for a fan to impose their interpretation of a song on to what U2 think of the same song. Fans worship Streets, for good reason, but Bono thinks it lacks finished lyrics. Conversely, he may think Vertigo's lyrics are solid. Everyone gets to interpret art in their own way, including the art's creator.

The interview was better than I imagined it could be.  It was more serious and thoughtful than the SOI one that the band did with ZL on Radio 1.
It was still slightly hard to watch such a keen fan interview the band (although the setting was good) - the whiskey shots probably helped with the relaxation, so responses were pretty candid. 
But I do wonder what the outcome might have been if an interview took place in a similar setting with someone - say Jo Whiley or Dermot O'Leary - would the outcome have been much different?  You know where I am going with this one - other people have commented about the interviewer's fanaticism.

My conclusion from the interview is that this tour has met objectives and then some.  TJT album has been justified live and the band have rediscovered a zest for delving into the more recent past, beyond their youth.  This has, I think, added some finishing sparkle to SOE which was always looking like it was picking up some of the threads from TJT.  The band are in a happy and joyous place in their timeline right now. 

For once - I am eagerly anticipating the end of one calendar year for happy and joyous reasons. 
On one level - there is the seemingly very real possibility of a U2 album by the end of December and I'm full of hope that it will make my Christmas to some degree. 
On a more personal level; I have 2 friends who have both gone through very difficult relationship problems over the years, and they have invited me to their wedding on NYE and its like they are so right for each other and it took them ages to realise and now they just invited all their friends to be part of their new start together NYE through to NYD.  And I just am really looking forward to being a part of the celebration and wishing them well - sometimes bad experiences can lead to good ones.

Offline Mark72

• Stateless
  • Modern Life Is Rubbish
« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2017, 03:23:09 PM »
Well I really enjoyed that interview. I wish it went on for a bit longer, an hour maybe. Some great insights from the band too. Zane is always a good interviewer and always make the artist feel relaxed, It showed them what great mates they are, I do think well get to hear SOE sooner rather than later......
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 07:18:42 PM by Mark72 »

Offline MattD

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2017, 03:34:37 PM »
Brilliant brilliant interview.

I used to think he was a brown nosing blowhard but Zane Lowe really makes his guests feel at ease and knows his stuff in great detail. He is quite clearly an avid fan and his ability to provoke interesting debate about their music is clearly evidence of this.

One of the best U2 related interviews I've experienced in years.

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2017, 07:01:28 PM »
Nice story about your friends getting married, 73.  On that topic, what do you think are the most "wedding appropriate" U2 songs?  "All I Want is YOu" is what immediately comes to my mind.

Offline tommyboy6913

• Refugee
« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2017, 07:41:04 PM »
I really enjoyed the interview as well. It's beautifully shot and shows the band is not willing to fade away. SOE is going to be good!

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
  • If there is a light, don't let it go out
« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2017, 10:00:09 PM »

In this instance I agree with bono ..... the only weakness in streets in the lyrics ...."Iwant to run, Iwant to Hide " ..... not exactly his best lyrical effort

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2017, 02:23:08 AM »
Nice story about your friends getting married, 73.  On that topic, what do you think are the most "wedding appropriate" U2 songs?  "All I Want is YOu" is what immediately comes to my mind.

I had All I want is you as my wedding dance.
Cheers to the wife for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Tim Wallach

• Babyface
« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2017, 07:01:51 AM »

I had All I want is you as my wedding dance.
Cheers to the wife for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ditto for me. Well done.