Author Topic: Ultraviolet Performance 2017  (Read 906 times)

Offline ManWithSpinningHead

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Ultraviolet Performance 2017
« on: July 19, 2017, 04:56:01 AM »
Amazing show last night.

Only downside - am I the only one who thinks Ultraviolet sounds horrible on this tour?

Amazing song, was performed perfectly on 360. But it feels tired & Bono is singing it quite sloppily, crowd around me fell away when it was performed last night. Was surprised as usually they knock it out the park live. Thoughts?

Offline trevgreg

• Running to Stand Still
Re: Ultraviolet Performance 2017
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 05:12:33 AM »
Seemed alright to me. The vocals are a bit different in parts and we don't have the lighting and smoke of the Claw this time (nor Bono swinging around on the mic for added dramatics), but it generally comes across okay, imo.

Offline Pistol80

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 07:33:51 AM »
I don't think it sounds horrible but I would agree that Bono isn't going for the notes like he used to.
My personal favourite would be from the Sheffield 360 gig. He's singing at the top of his range there and digging deep for it. The whole 1st leg of the 360 tour had great performances of 'Ultraviolet' and then he started playing around with it.

interestingly i came across an iem recording from the Vancouver show from the current tour on youtube. It sounds like there are recorded backing vocals going on in the chorus. You can hear edge's falsetto singing live over the top of them. That chorus is pretty hard to sing in full voice and it seems both Bono and Edge are not singing that now. Bono sings down the octave and Edge does falsetto.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I still enjoyed it in London though.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 07:36:29 AM by Pistol80 »

Offline kevc

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 01:19:41 PM »
Love ultraviolet but it was a bit flat in the crowd when it was played at Berlin.

Offline jules

• Stateless
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2017, 02:28:18 AM »
My personal favourite would be from the Sheffield 360 gig. He's singing at the top of his range there and digging deep for it.

Although I understand the Herstory aspect and it is laudable that U2 are honouring women who have changed the world I don't like the current version of UV. For me the song has a mysterious and personal quality and seeing photos of Oprah Winfrey etc. detracted a bit from that quality.

Sound wise the 360 version simply had more punch and I agree the Sheffield version is probably the greatest:

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Offline Neil Young, man!

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2017, 02:39:39 AM »
My personal favourite would be from the Sheffield 360 gig. He's singing at the top of his range there and digging deep for it.

Although I understand the Herstory aspect and it is laudable that U2 are honouring women who have changed the world I don't like the current version of UV. For me the song has a mysterious and personal quality and seeing photos of Oprah Winfrey etc. detracted a bit from that quality.

Sound wise the 360 version simply had more punch and I agree the Sheffield version is probably the greatest:

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Love the Sheffield version. Sounds heavier and more industrial the more into the song they get, and the ending is amazing.

Offline ultravioletlight

• Numb
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2017, 03:23:41 AM »
My favorite song of all time. He doesn't really sing it until the "I remember when we could sleep on stones" verse, which is the last one. Before then he just says the words. So ya, very disappointed with the performance.

Having Lena Dunham on the screen doesn't help either.

Offline Marwood

• Stateless
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2017, 06:24:50 AM »
Oprah Winfrey and Lena Dunham are goddesses compared to Sandi Toksvig  :P

Offline cocamojoe

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2017, 11:54:25 PM »
Having seen Ultraviolet on the 360 tour in Chicago, I don't think that this tour's performance is anywhere near as bad as some make it seem. I personally don't like the "herstory" thing, as I hate sloganeering like that, on top of my strongly disliking some of the women who have been consistently shown (here's looking at you, Lena Dunham, as well as p**** Riot). The whole "poverty is sexist" spiel at the end also irks me, in the same way as posters that highlight that "1 in 4 homeless people are women", ignoring the obvious fact that the implication is that 3 in 4 is a man.

For me, it's not a matter of men-vs-women, thus not really a woman's issue, but a human issue. Sure, it may keep U2 relevant to some today, but it still strikes me as a shortsighted and desperate grab for relevancy.

Then again, Bono was voted the #1 woman from Cosmo (who also published an article saying that it's sexist if men like to give their woman an orgasm), so it does kinda make sense for "women's rights" to make an appearance in some form on this tour. All the same, taking songs that have absolutely nothing to do w that subject (Elevation and Ultraviolet), and try and reimagine it in that light, to me, is lame.

monopoly

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2017, 01:13:27 AM »
I don't like the lighting and effects. Ultraviolet has always been a darker song to me. And here, it sounds too joyful

Offline jules

• Stateless
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2017, 02:07:38 AM »
I don't like the lighting and effects. Ultraviolet has always been a darker song to me. And here, it sounds too joyful
+1

Offline Allhorizonbomb

• Wanderer
  • Self proclaimed biggest U2 fan in New York State
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2017, 09:44:53 PM »
I think it sounds like crap and shouldn't be played. It's not a political song for one so all that stuff should end with it. Two it feels like Bono can't even sing the song anymore with his voice and while I like the song, if it can't be done right don't do it at all.

Offline 73October

• Numb
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2017, 04:25:56 AM »
It's a very personal and dark song about a woman, but in the song the singer asks the woman to light up his way in life.  There are other personal songs out there about women but Iris and Spanish Eyes wouldn't be right for women's rights activism.  I'm guessing that as a number of the U2 songs about women, quite naturally, have sexual undertones then there could always be some women out there that could take offence.  And Ultraviolet also has some of these - the 'I remember when we used to sleep on stones' verse. 
I would have loved to have seen the Herstory graphics (which I totally get) put to Luminous Times (which is one of my favourite U2 songs), but I think it's too obscure for more casual fans to relate to.  Even more people would have sloped off than the numbers that have already sloped off during Ultraviolet. 

Even The Ground Beneath Her Feet would only resonate in some parts of the globe - although that's possibly the most objective song about women that U2 have put out. 

I would LOVE to hear the results of Bono writing a song about women in a more objective-subjective stance (ie: about women who are not immediate family and have made a big impact on Bono because of who they are and what the stand for).

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2017, 05:57:50 AM »
It's a very personal and dark song about a woman, but in the song the singer asks the woman to light up his way in life.  There are other personal songs out there about women but Iris and Spanish Eyes wouldn't be right for women's rights activism.  I'm guessing that as a number of the U2 songs about women, quite naturally, have sexual undertones then there could always be some women out there that could take offence.  And Ultraviolet also has some of these - the 'I remember when we used to sleep on stones' verse. 
I would have loved to have seen the Herstory graphics (which I totally get) put to Luminous Times (which is one of my favourite U2 songs), but I think it's too obscure for more casual fans to relate to.  Even more people would have sloped off than the numbers that have already sloped off during Ultraviolet. 

Even The Ground Beneath Her Feet would only resonate in some parts of the globe - although that's possibly the most objective song about women that U2 have put out. 

I would LOVE to hear the results of Bono writing a song about women in a more objective-subjective stance (ie: about women who are not immediate family and have made a big impact on Bono because of who they are and what the stand for).

Interesting observations.  I concur that UV is a conflicted and dark song in which U2 search for a way out of the darkness through illumination provided by women.  The lightbulb symbol, and lyric oh come on, baby, baby, baby light my way makes sense for the meaning theyre trying to get across regarding women and inspiration on this tour.  Bono specifically says its personal for the individual women in their lives as well as for women in general, so the song choice fits for me.  Its a better fit than Mysterious Ways which is too overtly sexual and thus comes across as a cheesy companion piece to the video (i.e. I am glad theyre now playing MW separate to the video).

Alas, as you observe they wont try a relatively obscure b-side like Luminous Times on the tour.  I am reminded when the Pixies did Doolittle they stared the show by playing the b-sides before performing the album, but its easier to be brave when you have a cultish following and are playing in a small arena rather than a huge stadium with many casuals in attendance. 

The Ground Beneath Her Feet would be an inspired choice, but I dont expect many in the audience in other parts of the world would know it very well.  Im glad they chose Ultraviolet because its an AB-era song I like very much.  It is an album track, so a relatively brave move from U2 (when I was in the seats on 360 not many people seemed to know it).  I think the vocal and playing on UV on this tour are good too.  Bono sounds very motivated singing it.

It would be very interesting to hear Bono write a song about a woman who he is not related to who has inspired him, like Mick Jagger did for Angela Davis with Sweet Black Angel on Exile on Main Street.  I am not sure what the results would be like but itd be fascinating to hear.

Offline david

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2017, 01:24:50 PM »
It just gives an opportunity for people to cheer when they see the face of a local, other than that it is just a waste of time.