Author Topic: Where will the JT30 Tour rank?  (Read 1215 times)

Offline very good

• Party Girl/Boy
Where will the JT30 Tour rank?
« on: July 19, 2017, 08:08:40 AM »
When the dust settles, where do you think the current tour will rank against previous tours?

Offline paisteguy

• Babyface
Re: Where will the JT30 Tour rank?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 09:55:15 AM »
     Hmm, this is hard to say. I know people personally who thought it was outstanding. When I think of the show I saw I feel it was kind of "dark" . . . Of the seven U2 shows I've seen this ranks as #6 (the first "Zoo Tv" show I saw takes #7). I think there is such a mythology built up around "The Joshua Tree" album that expectations were really high for this tour. I still consider the setlist to be flawed. While the band has made some adjustments over the tour, it still feels to me like they are starting with the "A" material and ending on a weaker note. As I had mentioned elsewhere, there were many people leaving the show early in Vancouver. I left about two songs before the end - which I never thought would happen.
    Anyways, I always tell people the show was "good" but not "great". It showed me that "The Joshua Tree" album doesn't really work as a live "full album" experience. For the record, I do like The Joshua Tree (I even bought the big box set). I expect I will enjoy the DVD/Blue ray of the tour far more than the actual tour itself. 

Offline Achtung Ninja

• Babyface
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 11:41:40 AM »
Paisteguy, I had a very similar experience and also thought the show was good, but not great. I saw them at Levi's Stadium back on 5-17-17, so there are drawbacks to seeing the tour early. My hope is that they've worked out the kinks and the show is better now than two months ago.

People were also leaving early at Santa Clara, Ca, and it was a little sad to see.  The last time I saw that happen was during PopMart in '97.

For me it was a combination of things that contributed to less-than-incredible shows that the band has been known for. I wrote an article about it on my fan blog and would love to other fans' experiences.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Achtung Ninja

• Babyface
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 11:45:55 AM »
When the dust settles, where do you think the current tour will rank against previous tours?

I'd have to agree with Paisteguy and say it will rank lower than the last two tours (i+e & 360).  I've seen every tour since the original JT Tour '87-'88.  For me, this tour ranks above PopMart '97 and that was my least favorite show.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2017, 02:49:45 PM »
     Hmm, this is hard to say. I know people personally who thought it was outstanding. When I think of the show I saw I feel it was kind of "dark" . . . Of the seven U2 shows I've seen this ranks as #6 (the first "Zoo Tv" show I saw takes #7). I think there is such a mythology built up around "The Joshua Tree" album that expectations were really high for this tour. I still consider the setlist to be flawed. While the band has made some adjustments over the tour, it still feels to me like they are starting with the "A" material and ending on a weaker note. As I had mentioned elsewhere, there were many people leaving the show early in Vancouver. I left about two songs before the end - which I never thought would happen.
    Anyways, I always tell people the show was "good" but not "great". It showed me that "The Joshua Tree" album doesn't really work as a live "full album" experience. For the record, I do like The Joshua Tree (I even bought the big box set). I expect I will enjoy the DVD/Blue ray of the tour far more than the actual tour itself. 

Funny you mention the DVD/Blu-ray.  If they do one, I expect I'll be inclined to simply play the JT portion of the show, or maybe the opening through JT.  The post-JT stuff felt like the air let out a bit.

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2017, 03:14:40 PM »
Probably the best tour since Elevation. Has more resonance than all the others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Boba Fett

• Babyface
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2017, 07:33:27 PM »
Anyways, I always tell people the show was "good" but not "great".

Spot on. I understand why TJT is played in order, but it really crippled the emotional journey of the concert. It was frustrating because I thought it 'could' have been a great (as opposed to good) concert. Still enjoyed it though...:)

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2017, 07:48:32 PM »
I disagree with some of the above assessments.  Playing the album in order is a must for those fans who grew up listening to vinyl, which many of us did.  The tour was an emotional tidal wave for many of us who lived through that era.  I enjoyed it immensely.

Offline yankeesguy86

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2017, 06:29:39 AM »
I can only go off of the tours I've attended (sadly didn't get to Zoo TV or PopMart, which would be at the very top for me):

1) Elevation
2) I+E
3) TJT30
4) 360
5) Vertigo

For a stadium tour, TJT30 connected with me far more than 360 (where the impressive stage was more of a distraction than an immersion into the show).  Arena shows are hard to beat, so I have Elevation and I+E very close to one another.  Personally, my three GA experiences on I+E are going to be tough to beat, which is why I can't wait for the presumed 2018 E+I tour in arenas.

Offline acrobat62

• Elevated
  • I'm hatching some plot, scheming some scheme
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2017, 08:48:12 AM »
Here's mine

ZOOTv Outside Broadcast
TJT 87
Vertigo
360 / TJT 17 / PopMart (These three are so very close and very good or not as good for different reasons)
I&E
Elevation

Offline Ultrafly

• Stateless
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2017, 12:33:45 PM »
Honestly, of the ones I have seen

1. I+E
2. PopMart
3. 360
4. Elevation
5. Vertigo
6. TJT30

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
  • If there is a light, don't let it go out
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2017, 01:58:01 PM »
Of the ones I have seen:

1. Zoo TV
2. I&E
3. Joshua Tree
4. Unforgettable Fire
5. PopMart
6. Lovetown
7. 360
8. Vertigo
9. Joshua Tree 2017

I might be biased in favor of UF, JT, Lovetown and Zoo TV because I saw them all in Dublin. The others i've mostly seen in Miami or New York - the crowds are decent in Miami and great in New york, but nothing compares to seeing U2 in Dublin. JT17 I saw in Miami and the one downside for me was the crowd not knowing the entire second half of the album. They loved the War and UF Intro, loved JT all the way up to RTSS, then tuned out for a half hour and came back for the encore. In Dublin, they know the entire catalog. In New york, I was surprised - they did Out of Control as an encore and 90,000 people knew the song.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2017, 02:08:05 PM »
I found it a pretty average show ....apart from 360 where i was hugely disappointed probably the only time I have walked away thinking 'That was ok' but i wouldn't go and buy another ticket to another show after it...I bought tickets to extra nights on I&E for example after seeing first show in London....that show made me want to go again so i went and bought tickets to 2 of the following nights based on what i saw.

I just found TJT 30 Not bad, not great - just sort of middling....

I enjoyed it more than 360 (the horrible monstrosity the band played under sucked the life out of the shows on 360 for me)....and the band seemed lost/dwarfed and unable to connect....the lousy songs from NLOTH didn't help eithet.

I found it significantly inferior to the I&E shows I saw...

It was probably on par with Vertigo.

Definitely inferior to Elevation which despite the record it was supporting saw the band playing very well...

It is massively inferior to me than what I consider the two greatest tours in u2's cannon ZooTV/Zooropa and Popmart...

I didn't see Lovetown/TJT or anything before that in person so can't compare.

My rankings based on actually seeing shows:

ZooTV/Zooropa - 9.5/10
Popmart - 9/10
I&E - 7.5/10
Elevation - 7/10
Vertigo - 6.5/10
TJT 30 - 6.5/10
360 - 4.5/10
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 02:10:58 PM by an tha »

Offline very good

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2017, 04:04:22 PM »
Okay, I'm currently in Paris with my better(?) half gearing ourselves up for 2 shows at the stade de France. I've seen U2 12 times so far, this is her first (and second) so I'll check in later in the week and update you. My scores, thus far are:

Zoo TV (one gig): 10/10
Popmart (one): 9/10
Elevation (four): 8.5/10
Vertigo (two): 6.5/10
360 (three): 7:10
I&E (one): 8/10

Sent from my iPhone

Offline 73October

• Party Girl/Boy
  • A hurricane being born
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2017, 05:38:37 AM »
OK - I've seen five tours and I would rank them in this order (reasons in brackets)

=1. I&E Tour 2015 (semi-autobiographical, done theatrically on 4 stages and different from the normal  - show in 2 acts no support band.  One for the fans especially when they were all so close to the audience - the 'club' concept)

=1. TJT 2017 (brought the album to life and finally brought it to justice, band loving it (so obviously), felt like summer outdoor cinematic experience with live soundtrack.  Really well thought through concept & not a heritage tour and a nod to the future)

3. Elevation (back to basics feel and again really brought the fans in close at times)

4. 360 (great concept of being in a cathedral, stage set was spectacular and musically improved from previous.  BUT the sheer scale of the show meant I felt like just one of many at a big overblown show in times of global recession.  The concept wasn't tweaked enough and felt like a hang-over from the days of boom before the bust).

5. Vertigo (seemed a step back from Elevation musically and visually.  Whilst I supported the Make Poverty History campaign, we all know there was too much leaverage in this tour which led to an escalation of the Bono backlash that we know today)