Author Topic: Where will the JT30 Tour rank?  (Read 1214 times)

Offline lazyboy

• Party Girl/Boy
Re: Where will the JT30 Tour rank?
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2017, 06:00:36 AM »
I think it was the worst. By no means a bad show. But the worst U2 show I've been to. Well it was better than I+E in Dublin, but not better than I+E in Amsterdam.

Bono's performance is just naturally getting worse with each tour. Unless they drastically change the show and the songs they play, that is just a fact of life sadly.

For the sake of order:
Popmart
Elevation
Vertigo
I+E
JT30

Missed 360, but based on the Blu Ray, that woulda been bottom of my list too anyway.

Offline zoolov

• Babyface
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2017, 02:38:26 AM »
JT30 really caught me with surprise. I was in Dublin and thought it was a glorious experience. Loved everything about it: focus on the songs, all eyes on the stage (not too much happening around the stadium) and just brilliant songs overall. Truly powerful visuals by Anton Corbijn helped to highlight the music. However, this tour does not push things in an innovative matter, as ZOO TV and 360 did. I thought I&E was dark, and so was I when catching three shows, even though I can see why so many loves it. So with that said, I would rank the tours like this:

1. Zoo TV/Zooropa A gigantic leap forward as to how artist can approach the live experience. Band in top form, backing up the best album of their career.
2. Vertigo High on the success with the Vertigo single, I really think the band performed brilliantly. Saw them both in North America and Europe and loved the energy, the scaled down show and the overall feel.
3. TJT 30 as mentioned above. And to get Bad, One Tree Hill, Exit, Ultra Violet in one show oh how I have dreamt about that. Really appreciate the focus on (the classic) songs rather than, say, a claw or a lemon.
4. Elevation Saw four shows, including Slane 1. The show in Dublin this Saturday was a far better experience for me than Slane 1, even though the sheer power of Slane, the loss of Bonos father and the inclusion of A sort of homecoming gave the show a special feeling (although I prefer Bad). Once again: scaled down and with focus on performance rather than visuals.
5. I&E Personal, lengthy and beautiful. A bit too dark for me at that time in life, though.
6. Popmart Some great versions, like Mofo and Please, but overall a bit lame musically. Streets have been performed much better. 
7. 360 Too much claw, and too much to look at. Didn't have the focus I prefer, but it had its upsides: Unforgettable Fire and Ultra Violet for example.

So that is the tours I have seen. I'm sure I would have loved the older ones.  8)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 02:41:07 AM by zoolov »

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2017, 03:24:24 AM »
I don't think this tour will go down as one of the greats.  I saw shows on the original TJT tour and reflecting back they were much better concerts (despite the lack of video screen technology)  I do think the performances of One Tree Hill and Mothers of the Disappeared are very strong - these songs weren't played at the shows I went to in 1987 - but the tour hasn't had the relevance and meaning they were able to create 30 years ago.

As for the other tours, I preferred Popmart to Zoo TV, but only just - they were both fantastic concerts.  SOI was an excellent show, far superior to TJT30.  I liked 360 but was fortunate to see it on the first leg when it still included a substantial amount of NLOTH.  I think the tour that disappointed me the most was Vertigo, but I only got to see that in a stadium.  That said, I think that 10-song Milan video they released of Vertigo looks great.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2017, 07:01:37 AM »
Something that comes to my mind: with I+E, I was struck by how sort of SCRIPTED the show was.  It was almost as much a theater experience as a musical one.

And with this....oddly, it's similar to that.  The band are hitting marks on the stage, the focus is often the screen imagery, and there's very little that's "unscripted"--even down to Bono's "Shadow Man" persona.  On one hand, a certain amount of "script" is necessary, since the show is built around the JT songs in sequence.  On the other hand, I remember how the shows from 1992 through at least 2004 seemed loose, even if they often had setlists that didn't change much.  There's a sense of "fulfilling their duty" with the show.  Great show, but yeah, it's hard to compare this to Zoo TV through Vertigo.

That said, I do think there are certain moments with this show that are definitive.  Streets on this show is maybe as good as I've ever seen it.  Ditto ISHWILF.  TTYW and Exit were unexpectedly strong.  And the opening segment was great, as many times as I've heard those songs played.

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2017, 10:07:17 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Something that comes to my mind: with I+E, I was struck by how sort of SCRIPTED the show was.  It was almost as much a theater experience as a musical one.

And with this....oddly, it's similar to that.  The band are hitting marks on the stage, the focus is often the screen imagery, and there's very little that's "unscripted"--even down to Bono's "Shadow Man" persona.  On one hand, a certain amount of "script" is necessary, since the show is built around the JT songs in sequence.  On the other hand, I remember how the shows from 1992 through at least 2004 seemed loose, even if they often had setlists that didn't change much.  There's a sense of "fulfilling their duty" with the show.  Great show, but yeah, it's hard to compare this to Zoo TV through Vertigo.

That said, I do think there are certain moments with this show that are definitive.  Streets on this show is maybe as good as I've ever seen it.  Ditto ISHWILF.  TTYW and Exit were unexpectedly strong.  And the opening segment was great, as many times as I've heard those songs played.

You're right about how theatrical the shows are now, but I actually remember being struck with just how scripted Zoo TV seemed at the time.  Compared to TJT tour, or Lovetown, there was a very rigid setlist and stage moves, etc. seemed to repeat from night to night.  On SOI I did notice that things were so scripted that Bono's auto-cue had his spoken bits on it.

On this forum Zoo TV is often considered their best tour, but it was much more staged than anything they had done in the 80s, and those 80s shows had much going for them too.

Offline bass slap

• Running to Stand Still
  • Hot as a hair dryer.. In your face!
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2017, 01:44:20 PM »
I think your first time has to be your best? On that basis, POP Mart for me, but it was the legendary Leeds night. Also got into the mosh pit as it was then known, and at no extra cost. Class.

Been once to every tour since, barring elevation (really can't recall why I skipped that one) and can honestly say I have no particular preference, in that I have each enjoyed each just as much as the last.. All having their own great highlights. I don't think I've witnessed a half Ar**d performance, they have sounded great each time. I think in part because I lower expectations with every tour, then find myself impressed at how great they still sound when you factor everything in like age.

Offline bass slap

• Running to Stand Still
  • Hot as a hair dryer.. In your face!
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2017, 01:49:42 PM »
Regarding the scripted comments, it's disappointing to see part of that script is telling the audience that 'tonight could be one of those special nights'...

Surely spontaneity is key to a special night..? Too contrived for my liking.

Offline Ultrafly

• Stateless
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2017, 02:04:30 AM »
#TJT30 will rank low on the overall list of torus in history.

No matter how good the performances are, the tour doesn't have the visual or intellectual reach of other ones which is part of why it came together so quickly. Even something as loose as 360 had a core theme drawn beyond the albums - and every tour is designed lyrically to pull together the themes from individual songs and create a new narrative around them. TJT30's tour loses half of the content by giving half of the set to a predetermined set of 30 year old content.

The band are performing very very well on this tour - and there are only two songs they are currently doing that I think struggle in 2017 to seem relevant or effective (RHMT and TTYW) - but the other songs on TJT30 don't have enough connective tissue to be anything other than a mood piece. I love the tour and the experience, but for me, this tour is probably the least artistically satisfying - judged by U2 standards - I have seen since 1987 as TJT30 is bunch of songs bookended with a retro show at the start and a Equality Disco at the end.

Apart from Kraftwerk (who are playing all their albums in order on various dates of the current tour, and their songs and albums were each written around a specific theme at inception), there is no other band I know of that have toured a 30 year old album and done it so well.

Offline the_chief

• Refugee
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2017, 10:54:24 AM »
Band are performing very well.
Great songs in the setlist
So many rarities I never thought I'd hear live
Great imagery
The best sound I've ever experienced at a gig, indoors and outdoors.

That's all I care about.
I don't need to compare tours. I don't need to talk about how this tour lacks a theme, where as Popmart had a theme about consumerism etc.
Live shows are not about that for me!

However, Zoo TV is the exception. Not even about the theme of the show or anything, it just an X Factor that no one has matched since

Offline Mark72

• Stateless
  • Modern Life Is Rubbish
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2017, 12:39:48 PM »
Okay, I'm currently in Paris with my better(?) half gearing ourselves up for 2 shows at the stade de France. I've seen U2 12 times so far, this is her first (and second) so I'll check in later in the week and update you. My scores, thus far are:

Zoo TV (one gig): 10/10
Popmart (one): 9/10
Elevation (four): 8.5/10
Vertigo (two): 6.5/10
360 (three): 7:10
I&E (one): 8/10

Sent from my iPhone
Pretty much spot on for me

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Offline MadRob360

• Refugee
  • Jealousy Is A Disease
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2017, 03:57:29 PM »
No need to rank it against any other tour as this is a one off for the band doing a full album in sequence. Only *minor* criticism i have is the fact it's entirely scripted, Was stage side for all 3 shows i attended and even Bonos spoken bits are all scripted down to the last word. I'd like to think the band are absolute pros by now at Audience engagement and so don't really need it to be SO scripted. Apart from that i enjoyed the shows so much, hearing Exit was a particular highlight! The flyover at Croke was incredible! Lots of highlights. Will be happy for the boys to get back into arenas though, i do prefer the club feel to a gig, stadium shows are great i love both but arenas just edge it for me (no pun intended)

Offline mariamontreal

• Running to Stand Still
  • She moves in mysterious ways
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2017, 04:56:07 PM »
Every tour is unique and that is why I cannot rate the tours over the years. This is the first one in many years I have missed. Being  a one off tour for a great albums anniversary I knew from the beginning this was going to be identical pretty much  for each show. I have listened live and watched many of the JT
shows and I have memorized the speeches leading into the songs. Great flow great performance love U2 bring on new album and tour in arenas. Totally agree with the posts. Too scripted.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2017, 10:39:30 PM »

Apart from Kraftwerk (who are playing all their albums in order on various dates of the current tour, and their songs and albums were each written around a specific theme at inception), there is no other band I know of that have toured a 30 year old album and done it so well.

This is an interesting comment, but I'm not sure if I agree. I've seen Roger Waters do Dark Side of the Moon and The Wall, and Peter Gabriel do So. I don't know if TJT30 was better than those.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Ultrafly

• Stateless
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2017, 04:32:39 PM »
Dark Side Of The Moon was played in order and in full when it came out by Pink Floyd, so the Roger tour is pretty much a cover version/recreation of what used to be, whereas TJT was never played in order or in full at the time.

Offline mikenaz

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2017, 10:42:06 AM »
Vertigo
Elevation
TJT2017
I&E