Author Topic: Is Original Soundtracks I a U2 album?  (Read 716 times)

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
Is Original Soundtracks I a U2 album?
« on: July 19, 2017, 01:53:46 PM »
This topic always sparks a good debate, but I don't recall it ever getting its own thread. Is Original Soundtracks I a U2 album?

Here are the sides of the argument:

1) Original Soundtracks I is not a U2 album.

• OS1 was officially released under the pseudonym "Passengers"
  • If the band wanted this album to be represented in the U2 canon they would not have released it under another name
  • OS1 is totally uncharacteristic in nature for U2 and should be treated as a side-project rather than a full-fledged album because of it

2) Original Soundtracks I is a U2 album.

• Bono himself has said that Miss Sarajevo is his favorite U2 song, implying that he believes OS1 is a U2 record. To strengthen this point, he has also been quoted as saying that Your Blue Room is too his favorite... but I won't pretend that Bono hasn't said the same for Stay, Mofo, Kite, In A Little While, City of Blinding Lights... and probably a whole lot more!
  • The No Line On the Horizon Paradox. If OS1 is not a U2 album, then how can NLOTH be a U2 album? Throw away the artist name here, and realize that both of these projects were collaborations between U2 and Brian Eno. Both of them, to different degrees, are experimental. Because one is "more adventurous" (an already heavily subjective term), should it be exiled from this band's discography?
  • Both Miss Sarajevo and Your Blue Room are included on U2: The Best Of 1990-2000 compilation.

3) Who else gives a sh** anyway, Wookiee?

• I am bored
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 05:27:38 PM by WookieeWarrior10 »

Offline ShankAsu

• Child of Grace
  • Can't fight for s---, but sure can take a beating
Re: Is Original Soundtracks I a U2 album?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 02:00:58 PM »
there's been quite a bit of debate on here about this and I'm pretty sure there's already a dedicated thread to it, but the answer for me is no.  Its a different band.  Different name and different members.  The music was too different to be put under the u2 name so it became a side project where they could have fun and not worry about pushing singles or sales.
And yes, i know that Miss Sarajevo and Blue Room have since been released as U2, but that's revisionist history and the band knowing they had two good songs on their hand that they couldn't let disappear into obscurity without trying to cash in a but
To your point about No Line theoretically not being a U2 album- i've made that exact same joke on here.
I know some people insist its a u2 album, but i think its an uphill argument and those same people tend to think Slug is the greatest song ever recorded.

i am also bored- but this was a fun way to kill some time...
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 02:04:41 PM by ShankAsu »

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 05:26:02 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
And yes, i know that Miss Sarajevo and Blue Room have since been released as U2, but that's revisionist history and the band knowing they had two good songs on their hand that they couldn't let disappear into obscurity without trying to cash in

Ah, I forgot about them re-releasing Miss Sarajevo and Your Blue Room... I'll thrown that in my initial post.

I know some people insist its a u2 album, but i think its an uphill argument and those same people tend to think Slug is the greatest song ever recorded.

Ha, I'm definitely one of those people! I probably only think of OS1 as a U2 album because I love it so much!

Offline DK46

• Refugee
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 05:38:20 PM »
I don't know whether or not it is, but on my iTunes I have it listed under U2, so that settles it.

In all seriousness, it's a decent debate, but frankly, it doesn't matter much to me.  It's a high point for me and an era of this band I quite enjoyed.  No inhibitions, them just making music in a studio. 

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 05:51:46 PM »
I don't know whether or not it is, but on my iTunes I have it listed under U2, so that settles it.

In all seriousness, it's a decent debate, but frankly, it doesn't matter much to me.  It's a high point for me and an era of this band I quite enjoyed.  No inhibitions, them just making music in a studio.

That brings up another point. Did U2 just create an alias to allow themselves creative freedom, or was the new identity taken because they were not happy with the quality of the music?

Offline ZEROpartII

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2017, 06:41:30 PM »
No.

It is not canon

Offline A Passenger

• Babyface
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2017, 07:09:59 PM »
Everyone knows  it's a U2 album. It's not exactly a well kept secret or anything. If Passengers isn't a U2 album then The Unforgettable Fire, The Joshua Tree, Achtung Baby, Zooropa, All That You Can't Leave Behind & No Line on the Horizon aren't either because they all involve Brian Eno to an extent.

Offline DK46

• Refugee
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2017, 07:33:19 PM »

That brings up another point. Did U2 just create an alias to allow themselves creative freedom, or was the new identity taken because they were not happy with the quality of the music?

Yeah, it was just them in the studio jamming, at the suggestion of Eno.  Apparently the sessions were quite productive as they produced some 25 hours of music (which I hope one day gets released).  I think, it was initially gonna start out as a soundtrack to Peter Greenway's The Pillow Book, but that didn't happen, so they kept recording.

According to the album background on Wikipedia, Eno suggested the imaginary films concept, which he had done himself with his Music for Films album.  Apparently, a lot of soundtracks were all over the charts at that time, and Eno offered the movie concept idea as a spoof of a soundtrack, since they wouldn't be vying for radio hits.

From the Year in Pop documentary (at least I think it was referenced there), the band had wanted to do something exclusively with Eno like this and I guess it made sense at the time.  Albeit one wonders if Achtung Baby and the Zoo TV Tour had been a massive failure, would they have the courage to go down that path or...well, who knows?  I'd argue it's more an interlude between Zooropa and Pop, then the interlude label that Zooropa gets tacked with, but quite a brilliant and diverting one at that. 

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2017, 07:44:38 PM »

and there are more ;)

i'd say at the end of the day you'd count it but i'm not married to that opinion. it's clearly a U2 album but it's also an ambient experimental Eno album.

i mean not many bands are going to include a "Zoo Station" remix of a song <Bottoms> if they aren't U2. or a live version of U2 doing One at the benefit with Pavorotti.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2017, 07:48:43 PM »
yea i def dont get worked up over it is it or isnt it? it exists and came out during U2's peak so it's worth owning.

yea i also have it under "U2" in my itunes. i have it titled as "Passengers - Original Soundtracks 1" as though it was  U2 album with the name Passengers as the title. lol yes i'm a nerd

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2017, 11:18:29 PM »

Yeah, it was just them in the studio jamming, at the suggestion of Eno.  Apparently the sessions were quite productive as they produced some 25 hours of music (which I hope one day gets released).  I think, it was initially gonna start out as a soundtrack to Peter Greenway's The Pillow Book, but that didn't happen, so they kept recording.

According to the album background on Wikipedia, Eno suggested the imaginary films concept, which he had done himself with his Music for Films album.  Apparently, a lot of soundtracks were all over the charts at that time, and Eno offered the movie concept idea as a spoof of a soundtrack, since they wouldn't be vying for radio hits.

From the Year in Pop documentary (at least I think it was referenced there), the band had wanted to do something exclusively with Eno like this and I guess it made sense at the time.  Albeit one wonders if Achtung Baby and the Zoo TV Tour had been a massive failure, would they have the courage to go down that path or...well, who knows?  I'd argue it's more an interlude between Zooropa and Pop, then the interlude label that Zooropa gets tacked with, but quite a brilliant and diverting one at that.
I remember reading about the project as being a "warm-up" for Pop. There was probably a Zooropa situation where U2 realized that they could make an album if just a bit more material was recorded.

Offline xy

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2017, 12:34:58 AM »
No it's not.

Eno's role was bigger than any U2 full-fledged album. (remember Bono's quote "Brian's the captain of this ship") Half or so of the songs don't have lyrics, and U2 does not = Passengers collective.

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2017, 01:20:34 AM »
No it's not.

Eno's role was bigger than any U2 full-fledged album. (remember Bono's quote "Brian's the captain of this ship") Half or so of the songs don't have lyrics, and U2 does not = Passengers collective.
I understand your first argument, but what does 6/15 of the songs being instrumental have anything to do with this?

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2017, 01:21:28 AM »
No way it's too good to be a u2 album  ;)

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2017, 01:25:12 AM »
No way it's too good to be a u2 album  ;)
You're right, you cannot convince me that those corporate sell-outs would have any artistic merit leftover after that Zoo TV catastrophe!  ;)