Author Topic: Is Original Soundtracks I a U2 album?  (Read 895 times)

Offline xy

• Child of Grace
Re: Is Original Soundtracks I a U2 album?
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2017, 01:41:24 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
No it's not.

Eno's role was bigger than any U2 full-fledged album. (remember Bono's quote "Brian's the captain of this ship") Half or so of the songs don't have lyrics, and U2 does not = Passengers collective.
I understand your first argument, but what does 6/15 of the songs being instrumental have anything to do with this?

Less of Bono's input (in lyrics).

edited to add : the whole thing was designed as a soundtrack to movies to begin with, not a U2 album.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2017, 01:45:30 AM »
No way it's too good to be a u2 album  ;)
You're right, you cannot convince me that those corporate sell-outs would have any artistic merit leftover after that Zoo TV catastrophe!  ;)

Sold out the moment they were no longer Feedback.....disgusting!

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2017, 07:21:53 AM »

Fair enough. It doesn't bother me but different strokes and all...

edited to add : the whole thing was designed as a soundtrack to movies to begin with, not a U2 album.

Well, that was more of a concept. The album was set to imaginary films, an idea that was like a tool used to boost creativity.

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2017, 07:32:59 AM »

and there are more ;)
Well, I think this forum missed having its annual Passengers thread!

But in all seriousness I was intrigued by the second thread you linked there... I don't know how reliable Chip is, but he/she left this interesting factoid:

That's debatable, Lucas. I've probably told this story too many times, but just a month or two before the actual release, it was in Tower Records's computer as an upcoming release under the name U2, Always Forever Now (suggesting a pretty last-minute decision not to release it under the U2 moniker)... ...At least some critics reviewed it as a U2 album back in '95.

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2017, 07:35:55 AM »
No way it's too good to be a u2 album  ;)
You're right, you cannot convince me that those corporate sell-outs would have any artistic merit leftover after that Zoo TV catastrophe!  ;)

Sold out the moment they were no longer Feedback.....disgusting!
They certainly lost something when Dik Evans left the group...

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2017, 08:03:48 AM »
It's obviously a bit of both, and can be reasoned to be either.  I consider it enough of a "U2 album" for it to be listed as such in my iTunes catalog (Artist = U2, Album title = Passengers: Original Soundtracks 1), and it certainly fills the gap between Zooropa and Pop.  Especially when you consider that 2 of the 3 b-sides are, in fact U2 songs: a live version of One, and a "remix" of Zoo Station.  But then, I always had the CD under "P" for Passengers.

Truth be told, I even have the MDH Soundtrack listed with U2 as the album artist.

Offline ShankAsu

• Child of Grace
  • Can't fight for s---, but sure can take a beating
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2017, 12:05:45 PM »
Everyone knows  it's a U2 album. It's not exactly a well kept secret or anything. If Passengers isn't a U2 album then The Unforgettable Fire, The Joshua Tree, Achtung Baby, Zooropa, All That You Can't Leave Behind & No Line on the Horizon aren't either because they all involve Brian Eno to an extent.
this doesn't hold up. at all.

Offline Hawkmoon2e

• Administrator
  • Running to Stand Still
  • Deserve's got nothin' to do with it
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2017, 12:11:00 AM »
I think it is a U2 album more than it’s not. Forget the titles – titles can be deceiving. (Is Reverberation really a Bunnymen album?)

But titles aside, it’s the perfect album to be bookended by Zooropa and Pop. It just fits in with everything U2 was doing in the 90s, and it was all so very unpredictable. Some people might say that the band was afraid to put their name on it. But to me, it’s the opposite… I think they were arrogant enough to not put their name on it.

But speaking of OS1, I’ve been listening to ‘Always Forever Now’ lately, and it reminds me of the Prodigy. It  also fits in nicely with HMTMKMKM and Soon. Great song.

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2017, 12:21:04 AM »
I think it is a U2 album more than it’s not. Forget the titles – titles can be deceiving. (Is Reverberation really a Bunnymen album?)

But titles aside, it’s the perfect album to be bookended by Zooropa and Pop. It just fits in with everything U2 was doing in the 90s, and it was all so very unpredictable. Some people might say that the band was afraid to put their name on it. But to me, it’s the opposite… I think they were arrogant enough to not put their name on it.

But speaking of OS1, I’ve been listening to ‘Always Forever Now’ lately, and it reminds me of the Prodigy. It  also fits in nicely with HMTMKMKM and Soon. Great song.
Always Forever Now is an absolute masterpiece of a song. It is undoubtably of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard.

Offline A Passenger

• Babyface
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2017, 04:05:06 AM »
Everyone knows  it's a U2 album. It's not exactly a well kept secret or anything. If Passengers isn't a U2 album then The Unforgettable Fire, The Joshua Tree, Achtung Baby, Zooropa, All That You Can't Leave Behind & No Line on the Horizon aren't either because they all involve Brian Eno to an extent.

Do you own a physical copy of the album? It says "Music by: Brian Eno, Bono, Adam Clayton, The Edge, Larry Mullen Jnr" on the back cover. So, the fact that it's a U2 album was never really hidden. You could easily credit The Unforgettable Fire as "Music by: Daniel Lanois, Brian Eno, Bono, Adam Clayton, The Edge, Larry Mullen Jnr." and it wouldn't make any less of a U2 album.

Now if Passengers: Original Soundtracks 1 only involved half of U2, I'd consider U2 & Passengers to be completely different identities. But it's the same band with the same guy that co-produced half the f****** catalog. What's not to get?

Offline Blueyedboy

• Running to Stand Still
  • Embrace the challenge
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2017, 04:05:30 AM »
Songs from OS1 album have all 4 members of the band playing on them. Songs such as October only have 2. Which is more U2?

U2 songs such as The Troubles, The Wanderer and When Love Comes to Town have all 4 members plus guests. So do most songs from OS1.

Are Prince's "Symbol phase" albums not Prince albums just because the name Prince did not appear on the cover.

When the band followed Miss Sarajevo by playing One in concert in Italy in 1995, were they covering a U2 song or performing as U2.

OS1 is a U2 album all day long. And a very good on at that.

Offline ShankAsu

• Child of Grace
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2017, 12:09:49 PM »

Do you own a physical copy of the album? It says "Music by: Brian Eno, Bono, Adam Clayton, The Edge, Larry Mullen Jnr" on the back cover. So, the fact that it's a U2 album was never really hidden. You could easily credit The Unforgettable Fire as "Music by: Daniel Lanois, Brian Eno, Bono, Adam Clayton, The Edge, Larry Mullen Jnr." and it wouldn't make any less of a U2 album.

Now if Passengers: Original Soundtracks 1 only involved half of U2, I'd consider U2 & Passengers to be completely different identities. But it's the same band with the same guy that co-produced half the f****** catalog. What's not to get?
i do own the album. Had to specialty order it from a record shop when it came out because no one seemed to know anything about it.
Doesn't say U2 anywhere on it.  Not a U2 album.  Simple as that.

Offline ShankAsu

• Child of Grace
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2017, 12:11:21 PM »

Some people might say that the band was afraid to put their name on it. But to me, it’s the opposite… I think they were arrogant enough to not put their name on it.

that doesn't really make a lot of sense.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2017, 12:18:25 PM »
Songs from OS1 album have all 4 members of the band playing on them. Songs such as October only have 2. Which is more U2?

U2 songs such as The Troubles, The Wanderer and When Love Comes to Town have all 4 members plus guests. So do most songs from OS1.

Are Prince's "Symbol phase" albums not Prince albums just because the name Prince did not appear on the cover.

When the band followed Miss Sarajevo by playing One in concert in Italy in 1995, were they covering a U2 song or performing as U2.

OS1 is a U2 album all day long. And a very good on at that.

While I'm on board in considering it (mostly, kinda, may as well be) a U2 album, I think one particular sticking point is that while, like you said, October has a song featuring only two members of the band, how many feature NO members?  As for Passengers, I'm pretty sure no band member appears on Ito Okashi or A Different Kind of Blue, along with one b-side.  There's an argument to be made that it's actually more a Brian Eno album than a U2 one, though I don't have it catalogued that way myself.

All irrelevant, anyway.  And it is a very good album.

Offline ShankAsu

• Child of Grace
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2017, 12:22:05 PM »
I also catalog the album in with all of my other U2 items, but i do the same with the Turn Off the Dark soundtrack.  Is that a U2 album, no.