Author Topic: The Fly Lawsuit Update  (Read 1954 times)

Offline Manos73

• Numb
  • Stop trying to change the world, I like it.
The Fly Lawsuit Update
« on: July 19, 2017, 02:28:00 PM »
Hadn't seen anyone else post so thought I would:

Irish rock group U2 asked a US judge on Tuesday to dismiss a lawsuit by a British songwriter and guitarist who claimed that the band lifted large parts of one of his works for a song on its 1991 blockbuster album Achtung Baby.

In a filing with the US District Court in Manhattan, U2 said ordinary listeners would find that its song The Fly and Paul Rose’s 1989 instrumental Nae Slappin sound “nothing alike,” and no reasonable jury could find them substantially similar.

The band also questioned why Rose waited until February to sue, saying “nothing about The Fly has changed in the quarter century since it was released.”

A lawyer for Rose had no immediate comment.

-----
The Blurred Lines suit has changed the game here and bands are running scared from copyright claims.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
Re: The Fly Lawsuit Update
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 05:30:14 PM »
Yup. This is exactly what everyone around here has/had been saying about this case. Just a blatant attempt to get U2 to settle out of court for a quick buck.

Offline Blueyedboy

• Numb
  • Embrace the challenge
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2017, 03:13:16 PM »
I wonder how long Morten Harket will wait until he files his lawsuit for the similarities between Bd and The sun always shines on TV  :)

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
  • If there is a light, don't let it go out
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2017, 10:03:31 AM »
I wonder if the irony of the lyrics "every artist is a cannibal, every poet is a thief" is lost on the filers of this frivolous attempt to extort money from U2?

Offline RathfarnhamU2Fan

• Stateless
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2017, 03:12:30 PM »
I wonder how long Morten Harket will wait until he files his lawsuit for the similarities between Bd and The sun always shines on TV  :)

I never noticed that.And I'm now remembering Bono singing a bit of it at the end of a BD performance at some award ceremony around the time it was released.

Offline Manos73

• Numb
  • Stop trying to change the world, I like it.
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2017, 03:30:27 PM »
Didn't U2 get sued for a using a snippet of a poem at the beginning of Under A Blood Red Sky? Tapes from that era contain the poem but CD's since then do not. Thought it was fair use but goes to show that people have been suing the band since the beginning.  And in some cases U2 has sued as well. 

Offline Blueyedboy

• Numb
  • Embrace the challenge
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2017, 07:17:40 PM »
Didn't U2 get sued for a using a snippet of a poem at the beginning of Under A Blood Red Sky? Tapes from that era contain the poem but CD's since then do not. Thought it was fair use but goes to show that people have been suing the band since the beginning.  And in some cases U2 has sued as well.

That would be the Send In The Clowns snippet that appeared on Electric Co. The Red Rocks performance had to be cut from the UABRS and replaced with a version where the snippet did not appear. For some reason I want to say it was replaced with a performance of the song from a German show but my memory may not be working so good today.

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2017, 12:39:40 AM »
yes it was not a poem, it was send in the clowns - I still have my original red rocks vinyl that has the line on it

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2017, 12:44:23 AM »
Just pay up and move on.

I mean it is a blatant rip off - it has guitars and drums in it and was recorded in a studio and everything.....

Offline benpoke

• Stateless
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2017, 02:32:45 AM »
I've always thought the guitar from Where The Streets Have No Name is an obvious rip off Ghostdancing by Simple Minds.

But the Fly thing - absolutely no way.

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2017, 02:42:49 PM »
I've always thought the guitar from Where The Streets Have No Name is an obvious rip off Ghostdancing by Simple Minds.

But the Fly thing - absolutely no way.
I love Ghostdancing but I don't see that......

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2017, 02:43:11 PM »
Just pay up and move on.

I mean it is a blatant rip off - it has guitars and drums in it and was recorded in a studio and everything.....
Shocking! The nerve of them.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2017, 02:47:30 PM »
Just pay up and move on.

Shocking! The nerve of them.

I know.....unreal really.

Offline EdgesExplorer

• Babyface
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2017, 12:59:35 PM »
I'm surprised lady with the spinning head hasn't been mentioned in all this. It pre-dates the fly right, and contains a bulk of it

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2017, 01:22:40 PM »
I'm surprised lady with the spinning head hasn't been mentioned in all this. It pre-dates the fly right, and contains a bulk of it

Yeah, no one is digging deep enough to get into the fact that several of the songs on Achtung Baby are the off-spring of songs that ended up as b-sides. The Fly, UV, Zoo Station, Spinning Head and Salome all have the same DNA. If U2 ripped off The Fly, they ripped off half the record.