Author Topic: Interview with Willie- Songs of Ascent?  (Read 1199 times)

Offline monopoly

• Numb
Interview with Willie- Songs of Ascent?
« on: July 21, 2017, 10:46:33 PM »
“They’ve got the Experience album and we’re going to tour that next year,” he says quickly. “There’s a plan going forward, and then they’re talking about the record after that and the tour after that. Seriously, it’s like the priesthood – you can never really retire.”

Could be him just talking or maybe they really are planning that far. The IE tour was planned since March 2013.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 10:51:38 PM by monopoly »

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
Re: Interview with Willie- Songs of Ascent?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2017, 11:49:29 PM »
Great article, thank you for sharing.

It's encouraging to hear this of course, and I don't doubt the validity of Willie's quote... but U2 are notorious for changing plans, so even if the band is thinking that far ahead, I wouldn't trust that things are set in stone.

But heck, maybe SOE will drop tomorrow and you guys will all be laughing at me!  :)

Offline 73October

• Party Girl/Boy
  • A hurricane being born
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2017, 05:07:42 AM »
Bono's famously fairly recently said that there is only one way out of U2 and that's in a coffin.

Willie's reliable and trustworthy - so I don't doubt what he says.  I actually bumped into him in England just a couple of weeks before SOI was released and Willie sounded like he honestly didn't know when the album was being released.  The release was so closely guarded -  and now we know why.

I've always thought and believed that U2 aren't a band for 'retiring'.  They'll just change according to their needs (age, health, their individual and collective desires and passions to make music and tour).

Whatever the 15th studio album will be (if you include R&H), it will likely be, at least, good.

Online georgemccauley

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2017, 12:08:22 PM »
Brilliant article and interview. Great quotes from Willie, I would tend to believe what he says. The band seem in a good place like always, I don't think they'll randomly call it quits and break up at this stage of their career. U2 won't ever split up, they will simply retire together in the most beautiful and graceful way any band has ever done.

Still hopeful of much more material until that day comes though. Ascent is a realistic expectation

Offline JFW

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • Lookin' in the places where no flowers grow
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2017, 01:33:06 PM »
Brilliant article and interview. Great quotes from Willie, I would tend to believe what he says. The band seem in a good place like always, I don't think they'll randomly call it quits and break up at this stage of their career. U2 won't ever split up, they will simply retire together in the most beautiful and graceful way any band has ever done.

Still hopeful of much more material until that day comes though. Ascent is a realistic expectation
I think you're totally right. And if not, they will try to pretend it went peacefully :). U2 is one of the best examples of bands being a band: a band with a true connection. (In Dutch will we say something like A band with a true 'band', don't know if that works here  ;)

Online georgemccauley

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2017, 01:41:05 PM »

I think you're totally right. And if not, they will try to pretend it went peacefully :). U2 is one of the best examples of bands being a band: a band with a true connection. (In Dutch will we say something like A band with a true 'band', don't know if that works here  ;)

I wholeheartedly agree. One of the reasons that drew me to U2 in the first place. There's a connection and sense of loyalty and friendship that I've never seen in any other band. The fact they've never split up in over 40 years is so impressive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline JFW

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • Lookin' in the places where no flowers grow
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2017, 02:00:01 PM »

I wholeheartedly agree. One of the reasons that drew me to U2 in the first place. There's a connection and sense of loyalty and friendship that I've never seen in any other band. The fact they've never split up in over 40 years is so impressive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I thought The Edge said something about it in their last interview. Can't quote what he said, but the band seems to be aware of it, so it will be good  :)