Author Topic: New U2 fan  (Read 576 times)

Offline Abilou

• Stranger in a Strange Land
New U2 fan
« on: July 22, 2017, 02:42:14 AM »
Hello to every forum members !  ;)

I am 44. I am from France, so I do apologize for my bad english...  :-\

My life has been a long range of musical eras, I've had many long periods but each group I've been once fan of, I am still.

In 1983, I've discovered Michael Jackson's Thriller. Today, I'm still found of him, and except the Invincible album, the Blood On The Dancefloor's disc, and the sleeves of each of his discs since 1991, I love all that he made. I've got his discs from Jackson 5 to History, I often listen passionately. I've never seen him live. I think he's from those who's better in studio than on stage. I really hate the clothes he wore on stage (those kind of marvels comics toolbox, with a panty wore upon the trousers !), I do prefer simple clothes (jeans, T-shirt, or the ones he wore for Bad). Nearby that, I've always been disappointed by his live versions of his songs. They're much better in studio version, with all their effects.

I am also very afraid about how Michael Jackson physically became since the end of the 90's to his death... I do not want to remember him that way.

34 years now of loving...

In 1988, I've discovered The Cure. Today I still love them, and except all their discs since 1996, I am found of everything they've made. I've got their discs from The Peel sessions 1978 to Wish, I often listen to passionately too. I hate their albums sleeves since 1996, and I hate their live performances since 1997. I kept on trying to follow them even if I hated what they've became... I've also bought their late albums and best of Wild Mood Swings, Galore, Bloodflowers, Greatest Hits, The Cure, Join The Dots... hoping they would once become what they were able to be before... in vain... So I didn't kept those discs. I kept their discs until their last really good album : Wish. I think they should have stop to make any new album after the title "End"...

I also hate what they look like today, and on stage, they don't play like a group (no complicity between them, no friendship, no feeling) but like individuals... They were a group (with complicity, friendship and feeling) on stage until 1996.

I saw them in concert in 1990 (at La Fęte de la Musique, in France), I saw them in 1996 (at Palais Omnisports de Paris Bercy (France)), I saw them in 2000 (at Le Zénith, Paris, France), I saw them in 2001 in Roskilde festival (Danemark), I saw them in 2001 at Le Reservoir (Paris, France), I saw them in 2002 at Les Vieilles Charrues festival (France), I saw them in 2002 at Hyde Park (England), and I saw them in 2005 at La Route du Rock (Saint Malo, France).

And, of course, I saw them live on VHS (Cure In Orange (1986), Play Out (1991) and Show (1992)).

29 years now of loving...

In 2009, I've discovered Tina Turner. I've bought every single album from her, but I haven't kept the ones with Ike. She has had a powerful voice and energy. I love her songs. I've never seen her live in real life but I saw her playing live in concerts on DVDs. Except some albums (Tina Turns the Country On! (1974), Acid Queen (1975), Rough (1978), Love Explosion (1979)), I love every solo album from Tina Turner !!!

8 years now of loving...

In 2016, I've discovered U2. It has been a revelation !!! Like Michael Jackson, The Cure and Tina Turner have been in my life ! I'm crazy about U2 music, and except How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb and Pop (where I like only 1 song), I'm a fan of every single album from them since Boy to Songs Of Innocence...

What is very strange with U2, for me, is that I am really really into their music but I don't like their live performances, mainly due to Bono onstage... And I dislike the way he looks like today... And the effects on the studio albums play a role too in my appeciation of their songs, and it disappears in live performance. It is not the same atmosphere. But it is soon, I can change my mind, I only know U2 for one year.... Maybe I'll become mad about their live performances soon... It is difficult to tell anything so soon.... The only thing I am pretty sure about, is that I really REALLY LOVE their songs and that I've "met" one of most important groups of my life !!!!

I first bought every album from them and then I've bought the Deluxe editions of their albums !  :)

1 year now of loving...

Those 4 ones : Michael Jackson, The Cure, Tina Turner and U2 are the most important performers in my life. They are my absolute references.

It is very rare for me to have such a high level of musical passions, to feel the meeting between the performers universe and me. It is very strong.

I was born in 1973. In 44 years of life, I "met" only 4 great performers... an average of 1 performer every 11 years.

But when I love... I LOVE !!!!!  :) :) :)

« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 05:27:10 AM by Abilou »

Offline 73October

• Numb
  • Joy is an act of defiance
Re: New U2 fan
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2017, 04:01:08 AM »
Abilou - welcome to the atU2 Forum.  We are similar ages and whilst I discovered U2 as a teenager, no one is ever too old to discover U2. Enjoy!

Offline Abilou

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2017, 04:04:53 AM »
Thank you 73October  ;) ;) ;) 

Enjoy ? I REALLY DO !!!!  :) :) :) :) While I am posting I am hearing the U2 songs !!!!  :) :) :)

And I am not too old for anything... I am still a teenager of 44 ! The 80's were just one day ago for me. I lost track of time !  :)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 04:09:25 AM by Abilou »

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
  • I know that this is not goodbye, my forum friends!
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2017, 05:42:51 AM »
Welcome, Abilou...your honestly about not liking U2 live performances made me smile! I have to ask, have you actually SEEN them play live, in person? If not, you may change your mind. Go see them...it will change your life forever. Even I can put up with Bono on stage (I call it THE BONO SHOW) to see the entire band play. ::)

Offline Abilou

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2017, 07:06:18 AM »
Hello riffraff... Thank you for your welcome message.

About your proposal, I don't work like that. I first listen to a group I love playing live in an album featuring live tracks (such as Rattle & Hum, for instance) or I see it performing live onstage in a video (like in Songs of Experience)... And I immediately feel if I would like to be in the public or not... but this is first impressions, they can be right, they can be wrong... Only future will tell...

I've heard Rattle & Hum, I've seen Songs Of Experience. I honestly disliked the way Bono sang the songs I loved and the way he moved on stage.

Maybe one day I'll change my mind, but today, that is what I think... And I honestly don't think that to force myself to see them in a concert is really really a good idea... I hate to be forced to do anything. I hate someone force me to do something, I hate me forcing myself doing anything.

It always ends with a feeling of a profond disgust... So I think your idea is really not a good one. I can understand that, as a fan who love seeing them in concert, you can't imagine someone who doesn't, you think "He tells that but he doesn't know what he's talking about !"

... Maybe...
... or maybe not...

That is not the question. The question is to give time to time... Time to discover, time to maybe change of mind, time to like... or not...

As I wrote upper, it is still too soon, I'll can change my mind, I only know U2 for one year.... Maybe one day I'll become mad about their live performances ... It is hard to tell anything so soon...

Give time to time... Don't be so hurry... I won't go to a concert of U2 just because you told me I have to...

I understand you think their gigs are great but I won't do something I'm not ready to do just because you ask me to. And especially if you roll eyes to the sky and if my view about the U2 live performances made you smile... ;).

I'll do what I'll do when I'll feel it and if I feel it... Just like you did (I hope !)  :)

Because there is one thing you need to understand : maybe what you like in U2 gigs is exactly what I've seen and that I disliked... Everything's a matter of preferences... So, no need to smile or to roll eyes to heaven...  ;)

If I am wrong, I'll discover it sooner or later, but for the moment, I am not attracted to go to a U2 gig...
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 07:59:28 AM by Abilou »

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2017, 07:32:26 AM »
Again, you are honest...you are truly your own person...and I admire that.
Peace...

Offline Abilou

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2017, 07:35:42 AM »
Thank you !  :)

Peace, Riffraff  ;) :) :D

I am honest but not dangerous.
I am honest and I gess I know what I want.

I'm gonna ride my own wild horses  :) ;)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 07:41:22 AM by Abilou »

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2017, 08:11:16 AM »
This is making me laugh...you write like I think, in U2-language!

Offline WhiteFanU2

• Babyface
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2017, 10:58:33 AM »
Hey !
I am new on this forum as well. Registred some years ago but missing my registration.
Glad to join the forum and @U2 community.
In short: I visited Vertigo, 360 - 8 concerts as a total. Now goin to visit 2 in Paris and 2 in Amster.
So if smb going to stand in a early GA line in Paris may join also. Write your Whatsapp in PM. If you got friends it may happen I have free GA spare tix on hands. Welcome!  :D :D :D

Offline Abilou

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2017, 04:23:07 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
This is making me laugh...you write like I think, in U2-language!

LOL !! Yes I do  ;)

Offline Dedjeloc

• Babyface
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2017, 05:36:26 PM »
Nice introduction! 
Welcome :)

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
  • If there is a light, don't let it go out
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2017, 11:22:18 PM »
Votre anglais est meilleur que mon Francais. Bienvenue sur le forum. Il est interessant que vous soyez quarante-quatre ans, mais vous ne decouvrez que U2 maintenant. Cependant, cela signifie que vous avez un tresor riche en attente de votre decouverte.

Offline bfvertigo1

• Wanderer
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2017, 04:27:43 PM »
You´re welcome...