Author Topic: My Croke Park Review...  (Read 1078 times)

Offline the_chief

• Refugee
My Croke Park Review...
« on: July 22, 2017, 06:05:06 PM »
Keep this basic and straight to the point.

1. Best sound I've ever heard at an outdoor gig. I could actually hear individual notes played on the bass/guitar it was that good.

2. Best version I've ever experienced of Streets. The planes too were a quality touch.

3. The opening 4 songs are outrageous. No other band that are still in existence could open with so many anthems like that and still have so much left to give

4. Despite the fact they bring it back up in mood and tempo, Miss Sarajevo does not work where it is..

5. I don't like the track but, Elevation is a great live song.

6. They need to end it differently. Others said it on the way out. Little Things is actually so personal to me and I adore the track and think it's great....However, it's not a song to end with. It reminds me of a personal problem I have and it connects with it but, I want to be leaving the gig on a high. I don't wanna be leaving a gig thinking about certain bad things in my life.

Overall though, a fantastic gig! Just a shame it's over

Offline jrodr079

• Refugee
Re: My Croke Park Review...
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2017, 07:03:04 PM »
Can we have a Croke review from someone who has been to other shows this tour? We need a review in context with other shows. Was it better? Special?  Dont need another person saying "ohhh the screen" "ahhhh elevation"

Offline the_chief

• Refugee
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2017, 07:04:29 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Can we have a Croke review from someone who has been to other shows this tour? We need a review in context with other shows. Was it better? Special?  Dont need another person saying "ohhh the screen" "ahhhh elevation"

Ah OK.
I'll just shut up then and keep my opinion to myself, master.

Sorry for speaking out of turn. I hope it hasn't ruined your day oh mighty ruler. I am an awful human being for writing such a post.
The emotional scars will forever be etched into me.

Can I be excused so I can go and think about what I've done?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 07:30:32 PM by the_chief »

Offline monopoly

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2017, 07:23:00 PM »

Ah OK.
I'll just shut up then and keep my opinion to myself, master.

Sorry for speaking out of turn. I hope it hasn't ruined your day oh mighty ruler. I am an awful human being for writing such a post.
The emotional scars will forever be etched into me.

Can I be excused so I can go and take about what I've done?

I liked your review. It's from someone who hasn't spoiled anything yet so it's like a brand new review

Offline kevincfcu2

• Babyface
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2017, 07:32:18 PM »

I was at the opening three shows Vancouver, Seattle and San Fran.

Dublin tonight overall was a good show. With the opening 4 songs electric especially. It had probably the best live performance of bad I've heard to date.

Generally Croke Park is known for poor acoustics, but tonight had no sign of that.

Apart from that there was little else to set it apart from other "normal" shows. Personally I felt a bit disappointed in this instance. I thought we might get an extra song or so, but they stuck religiously to the tried and tested setlist so far.

While they have slightly addressed the previously flat encore section, having a new song as a closer left a rather subdued ending to the show. Compare this to Seattle when they ended with I Will Follow and the place was rocking.

So out of the Joshua Tree shows so far that I've seen, I'd still rank Seattle as the best.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 07:52:10 PM by kevincfcu2 »

Offline dirtdrybonesandstone

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2017, 07:43:14 PM »
Good review Chief, thanks for posting it.    I hope both Little Things and MS gets cut before they hit the Midwest circuit in September.   Just doesn't seem appropriate for this nostalgia-type tour.

Offline monopoly

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2017, 08:13:10 PM »
Good review Chief, thanks for posting it.    I hope both Little Things and MS gets cut before they hit the Midwest circuit in September.   Just doesn't seem appropriate for this nostalgia-type tour.

If the rumor about The Best Thing coming in September is true, I'd bet it will close the shows instead of little things

Offline jrodr079

• Refugee
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2017, 08:39:06 PM »

Dublin tonight overall was a good show. With the opening 4 songs electric especially. It had probably the best live performance of bad I've heard to date.

Generally Croke Park is known for poor acoustics, but tonight had no sign of that.

Apart from that there was little else to set it apart from other "normal" shows. Personally I felt a bit disappointed in this instance. I thought we might get an extra song or so, but they stuck religiously to the tried and tested setlist so far.

While they have slightly addressed the previously flat encore section, having a new song as a closer left a rather subdued ending to the show. Compare this to Seattle when they ended with I Will Follow and the place was rocking.

So out of the Joshua Tree shows so far that I've seen, I'd still rank Seattle as the best.

Thanks for these thoughts. Heard from many Seattle was a home run!

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2017, 10:34:02 PM »
Thanks for the review, Chief.  I agree with each of your points.

Offline JFW

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Lookin' in the places where no flowers grow
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2017, 01:01:11 AM »

I haven't checked it, but what I remember of the I+E tour there wasn't a very special show in Dublin, too. (Beside some personal memory lane)

Offline radiofreenewport

• Babyface
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2017, 02:15:47 AM »
Good stuff, chief. This was my ninth show overall beginning with the original JT tour, and my third of this tour (Louisville, Cleveland). For my wife and I, it was every bit as epic as we hoped, especially with it being our first concert in Europe and, of course, seeing our favorite band on their home turf.

They seemed to want to rise to the moment - - my interpretation, perhaps - - and the show felt more intense than the US shows, even if the set was the same (aside from some different snippets -- Starman was very cool). This was the first time we got to hear The Little Things, so that was a thrill. I agree that it can feel like a letdown after the preceding songs, but I like the ballsiness of it, especially with a band that has occasionally lacked that quality in recent years. I thought I would be bummed if they didn't add a special song for the hometown crowd, but the show was so great that it didn't bother me.

For me, the highlight was the crowd. US crowds are enthusiastic, but not like this. 80k singing along to even quieter songs like RTSS was incredible to experience. We were near the back of the pitch and everyone around us was dancing and singing. A stranger bought us a beer, others hugged us or shared ecstatic grins. It's an experience I'll never forget.

Also, it was cool to see Glen Hansard, the Taoiseach, and the President all walk past us en route to the soundboard.

One last note: the sweetest thing we saw all night was a guy from south of Belfast in his late 40s who was with his mentally disabled nephew. They both sang all night and had a blast. Props to him for helping the young man through that massive crowd and showing him the time of his life.

Sleepy and heading back to the states. Cheers, all.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 02:18:58 AM by radiofreenewport »

Offline kseguin

• Wanderer
  • Toronto, Cleveland, Dublin, Detroit
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2017, 02:33:30 AM »
I agree with radiofreenewport, the crowd was fantastic.  Saw Toronto and Cleveland and the show was on par, except the crowd was into it for every word.

The one thing I was disappointed with was that there was now venue specific shirts.  There was a venue specif shirt in Toronto, but not Croke Park.  Waited in line for an hour and a half to get a "Europe" shirt.  The line up was stupid, not enough merchandise stands.

Offline monopoly

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2017, 02:52:59 AM »
I agree with radiofreenewport, the crowd was fantastic.  Saw Toronto and Cleveland and the show was on par, except the crowd was into it for every word.

The one thing I was disappointed with was that there was now venue specific shirts.  There was a venue specif shirt in Toronto, but not Croke Park.  Waited in line for an hour and a half to get a "Europe" shirt.  The line up was stupid, not enough merchandise stands.

Maybe they sold out during the week?

Offline kseguin

• Wanderer
  • Toronto, Cleveland, Dublin, Detroit
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2017, 03:45:47 AM »
NO, I do not believe that they have venue specific shirts for Europe.

Offline riffraff

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • So, when does SOE happen?
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2017, 05:18:30 AM »
Great review, Chief, thanks for posting. I wholeheartedly agree with "dirtdrybonesandsandstone" in hoping that they drop MS before coming back to the US. It's a fine song, just not a very good concert song.