Author Topic: I don't think setlist diversification matters that much.  (Read 325 times)

Offline Allhorizonbomb

• Wanderer
  • Self proclaimed biggest U2 fan in New York State
I don't think setlist diversification matters that much.
« on: July 23, 2017, 10:58:31 AM »
Seeing three shows both on this tour and on last tour I feel that changing the setlist really doesn't matter all that much for determining a great show. Sure it's great to see some rarities once in awhile, but I feel the biggest thing that makes or breaks the show is the crowd. If the crowd is really ripping I've felt those shows to be far superior looking back on it than shows with a different setlist from the night before. For example on the I.E. tour I saw both Gloria and October in New York, but I feel that was the worst show overall I saw that tour. On the other hand Toronto had a much more standard setlist but the crowd and the band were better making it a better show.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
Re: I don't think setlist diversification matters that much.
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2017, 11:18:43 AM »
It is a debate that will rumble on forever and I can see both sides.

I get that they have it nailed down at this stage and that of course the encore has those three songs that despite their debatable quality do rock the house but for me surely a little something extra/special at home last night for example would be a good idea.

I suppose though u2 have always been a band who aren't very spontaneous and of course the way their shows are set up and their limited 'chops' does not lend well to much improvisation and in their minds they have a show that works that has the arc and flow they want and when they take it to a city it is 'new' to that city and they want people to see it.....the flipside is Dublin for example last night isn't just any city is it - it is their home city and for my money it would be good if you just give your home city something extra and special....

That said i get that to the average fan who does not live in these forums and follow setlists and look at everything so closely that all they want to see is a good show - the band believe they have that good show and want to deliver it to each audience they play in front of.

On this tour as well it was always especially unlikely there would be too many 'surprises' the band are already having to play songs they have never played before or haven't played for a long long time and that is probably stretching them already plus in the enormodomes with huge numbers of casual fans the well known hits are needed (and like them or not the crowds go nuts for them)

Still though if i was in the band i'd be bored playing it so straight every night and would love to just go 'here is a surprise' and play something out of left field but as i think Mick Jagger said once 'yeah for us it is oh here we go again satisfaction for the millionth time, but for a lot of the people in the crowd on the night it is the only time they will hear it on the tour'.....or words to that effect anyway.

Personally if i was in a band like u2/the stones i would play the enormodomes with the shackles that doing so brings but i'd also push to play smaller venues in between that cater for diehards where could play the lesser spotted stuff...
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 11:23:28 AM by an tha »

Offline riffraff

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • So, when does SOE happen?
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2017, 11:24:35 AM »
I will be happy with whatever they play.

But, if they were to "surprise" us in September and play Hawkmoon 269, I will have 30 children, and name them all U2.

Offline monopoly

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2017, 11:31:51 AM »
The only people that really care about the setlist is us. 90% or more of the crowd in each city hasn't seen a show yet. Only the fans who travel to multiple cities are really making a deal of out it. U2 has a formula that works (for the most part) so they're sticking with it

Offline miryclay

• Elevated
  • http://www.u2gigs.com/myshows/31519
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2017, 01:29:03 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
It is a debate that will rumble on forever and I can see both sides.

I get that they have it nailed down at this stage and that of course the encore has those three songs that despite their debatable quality do rock the house but for me surely a little something extra/special at home last night for example would be a good idea.

I suppose though u2 have always been a band who aren't very spontaneous and of course the way their shows are set up and their limited 'chops' does not lend well to much improvisation and in their minds they have a show that works that has the arc and flow they want and when they take it to a city it is 'new' to that city and they want people to see it.....the flipside is Dublin for example last night isn't just any city is it - it is their home city and for my money it would be good if you just give your home city something extra and special....

That said i get that to the average fan who does not live in these forums and follow setlists and look at everything so closely that all they want to see is a good show - the band believe they have that good show and want to deliver it to each audience they play in front of.

On this tour as well it was always especially unlikely there would be too many 'surprises' the band are already having to play songs they have never played before or haven't played for a long long time and that is probably stretching them already plus in the enormodomes with huge numbers of casual fans the well known hits are needed (and like them or not the crowds go nuts for them)

Still though if i was in the band i'd be bored playing it so straight every night and would love to just go 'here is a surprise' and play something out of left field but as i think Mick Jagger said once 'yeah for us it is oh here we go again satisfaction for the millionth time, but for a lot of the people in the crowd on the night it is the only time they will hear it on the tour'.....or words to that effect anyway.

Personally if i was in a band like u2/the stones i would play the enormodomes with the shackles that doing so brings but i'd also push to play smaller venues in between that cater for diehards where could play the lesser spotted stuff...

Listen to any JT87 bootleg and Bono could hardly get through the song because of teeming passion and improv. Now it's just by numbers.

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
  • If there is a light, don't let it go out
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2017, 02:46:32 PM »
I don't think U2 has ever done a tour with a whole lot of setlist changes. Not their thing....It's great for the "ill-see-them-once-on-this-tour" crowd, and the "oh-my-god-i'm-seeing-u2-for-the-first-time" folks, but not good for the "what-hotel-is-the-afterparty-at" crew or the "I-cant-wait-to-see-croke-park-on-meerkat" people.