Author Topic: Not that I was in attendance but...  (Read 1058 times)

monopoly

Re: Not that I was in attendance but...
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2017, 09:42:16 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I don't think "Bad" is nearly as stellar on the UF album as it is live.

Album is like an ambient track. Live is a rock song. Guitar makes all the difference

Offline BelfastBoy

• Babyface
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2017, 03:47:02 AM »
I was at the Dublin show the other night, longtime fan but only tend to go to one show per tour for financial / practical reasons (and always Irish shows). So, from my perspective, the crowd were at their most enthusiastic and energetic on the hit songs familiar to casual fans, but what the diehards would consider warhorses - the likes of Pride, Streets, ISHFWILF, WOWY, Elevation, Vertigo, Beautiful Day. I knew that the band were unlikely to surprise me with the setlist, but I was still hoping for ASOH. By now it should be perfectly obvious to U2 that Miss Sarajevo doesn't excite a stadium crowd at all, especially starting an encore set, but they seem to be sticking with it anyway. Ditto for finishing with the new song. Personally I think it's great, passionately performed and an encouraging sign that there's still plenty of creativity there...but all I saw was people streaming for the exits.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2017, 04:11:05 AM »
Let's say there was 75,000 people in croke park the other night - i would wager probably around 20% at best would buy a new u2 album when it is released/care about new music from them.

Offline Kmama07

• Running to Stand Still
  • She is everywhere and no place
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2017, 04:55:46 AM »
I still don't see why they couldn't play both...especially for their "homecoming gig"

Offline 73October

• Numb
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2017, 05:13:28 AM »
At Twickenham when Miss Sarajevo came on it was so hard hitting. The music was chosen to accompany the video.  It wasn't meant to be about U2. 
Spoiler alert - the images from the refugee camp are so large and in HD it brings the situation out in Syria to life in a way that even a large household TV screen can't do.  So there was this live track being played initially about war torn Balkans and transpose it to the middle-east.  From where I was in the stadium, I couldn't leave easily.  So I could have closed my eyes to it all.  But instead I stood there looking at the screen biting my fingers as it was so hard to watch how real the situation has been in Syria.  Some people aren't going to like it as it's so uncomfortable and it's at a rock concert so why should we be having these things.
The band can choose what they want to do with their songs and that's how they wanted to play Miss Sarajevo and highlight the cause in Syria - then that's fine with me.  I don't have a problem with the ideology behind a U2 show these days.

With regards to the new song - yes some people want to hear the hits and so they drift off during the new song.  But also people drift off early now maybe because of transport and they *need* to get to the front of the queue for the transport or to get out of the parking area.  Maybe they have a long journey ahead of them back so the don't stay until the end.  The diehard in me does stay until the end.  I just found the whole thing thought provoking and the new song at the end is the obvious pointer to the future 'cuz this isn't a nostalgia trip right?

Offline Yaro

• Stateless
  • Everything you know is wrong
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2017, 05:52:33 AM »
Let's say there was 75,000 people in croke park the other night - i would wager probably around 20% at best would buy a new u2 album when it is released/care about new music from them.
Ground breaking fact ..-nobody buys  (CD's)anymore..In US  it was a golden standard Best Buy music store kept thousands of CD's on hand with midnight release party.. now they have  (2) small cd shelves somewhere in the back with latest releases like Beiber or T.Swift..Metallica touring now is giving away every night (55 thousand average)  their latest CD with ticket purchase and then they certified the Album platinum (1 million sold) where in fact they gave away more then half..New music appears on the net the day of the release and is available for download & burn a mouse click away..only die hard fans bother to purchase a hard copy...I always do.. U2's average fan base is  40-65 yrs old - they got their share of  s.h.i.t to worry about ..mortgage ,insurance,car payment,overtime,kids college tuition,grocery bill..new music is on the very-very  bottom of the list..even if its $ 9.99

Offline BelfastBoy

• Babyface
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2017, 06:53:00 AM »
At Twickenham when Miss Sarajevo came on it was so hard hitting. The music was chosen to accompany the video.  It wasn't meant to be about U2. 
Spoiler alert - the images from the refugee camp are so large and in HD it brings the situation out in Syria to life in a way that even a large household TV screen can't do.  So there was this live track being played initially about war torn Balkans and transpose it to the middle-east.  From where I was in the stadium, I couldn't leave easily.  So I could have closed my eyes to it all.  But instead I stood there looking at the screen biting my fingers as it was so hard to watch how real the situation has been in Syria.  Some people aren't going to like it as it's so uncomfortable and it's at a rock concert so why should we be having these things.
The band can choose what they want to do with their songs and that's how they wanted to play Miss Sarajevo and highlight the cause in Syria - then that's fine with me.  I don't have a problem with the ideology behind a U2 show these days.

With regards to the new song - yes some people want to hear the hits and so they drift off during the new song.  But also people drift off early now maybe because of transport and they *need* to get to the front of the queue for the transport or to get out of the parking area.  Maybe they have a long journey ahead of them back so the don't stay until the end.  The diehard in me does stay until the end.  I just found the whole thing thought provoking and the new song at the end is the obvious pointer to the future 'cuz this isn't a nostalgia trip right?

You make excellent points on both counts, and again these are only my personal thoughts based on Dublin:

- Of course U2 have a perfect opportunity to highlight the plight of Syrian refugees in front of stadium-sized crowds every night, but (and this is me being brutally, cynically honest) the vast majority of those people are out for a good time, to be entertained. Each of my 2 tickets cost roughly 170 each, so presumably everybody else in the immediate vicinity had paid the same. Yet lots of them were more interested in taking inane selfies and making frequent trips to the bar. They weren't engaged by Miss Sarajevo (the song), or the powerful imagery accompanying it on the big screen. Personally I was very moved.
 - I'm very enthused by the new song, and have high hopes for the SOE album (if it's ever released!). I stayed until the very end of the concert and had a long journey ahead of me - was well after 11pm when I left the stadium, so once I'd made it back to my car and drove home to N Ireland, it was 220am. I always stay to the end because I want to hear the whole show, and out of respect to the band.

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
  • I know that this is not goodbye, my forum friends!
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2017, 07:41:22 AM »
Ground breaking fact ..-nobody buys  (CD's)anymore..In US  it was a golden standard Best Buy music store kept thousands of CD's on hand with midnight release party.. now they have  (2) small cd shelves somewhere in the back with latest releases like Beiber or T.Swift..Metallica touring now is giving away every night (55 thousand average)  their latest CD with ticket purchase and then they certified the Album platinum (1 million sold) where in fact they gave away more then half..New music appears on the net the day of the release and is available for download & burn a mouse click away..only die hard fans bother to purchase a hard copy...I always do.. U2's average fan base is  40-65 yrs old - they got their share of  s.h.i.t to worry about ..mortgage ,insurance,car payment,overtime,kids college tuition,grocery bill..new music is on the very-very  bottom of the list..even if its $ 9.99
I buy every U2 cd and dvd that comes out, and I usually get them at Best Buy! New music (U2 only) is near the top of my list...no matter the cost. Am I really the exception here?

Offline 73October

• Numb
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2017, 09:56:35 AM »
I buy every U2 cd and dvd that comes out, and I usually get them at Best Buy! New music (U2 only) is near the top of my list...no matter the cost. Am I really the exception here?
No Riffy, you're not.  I have to have it too.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2017, 10:24:46 AM »
I think they should play it at every show on this tour. ESPECIALLY Dublin.

This.  I don't see any reason why both ASOH and Bad couldn't have been played.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2017, 10:37:47 AM »

Apart from you who mentioned cd's....?

I mentioned 'new album/ music' whatever the medium is....nothing about cd's specifically...just that most people at these gigs don't really care about new u2 music and buying it.

We seem to agree on that point anyway.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 12:36:14 PM by an tha »

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2017, 12:24:51 PM »
If only we could buy music right off of our smartphones...

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2017, 12:27:25 PM »
If only we could buy music right off of our smartphones...
If only I had a smartphone...

monopoly

« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2017, 12:34:46 PM »
No Riffy, you're not.  I have to have it too.

I always buy the concert DVD at Best Buy! songs of Innocence was the only album I didn't buy since I got it for free. If they do a songs of Innocence + songs of experience double album package, I'll buy it.

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2017, 12:37:38 PM »
That would be nice, wouldn't it?