24 (34.8%)
On the Batman Forever Soundtrack
8 (11.6%)
On a U2 Album Released between Zooropa and POP
9 (13%)
On Passengers - OST 1
3 (4.3%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Author Topic: Where would HMTMKMKM have fit the best?  (Read 530 times)

Offline ZEROpartII

• Staring at the Sun
Where would HMTMKMKM have fit the best?
« on: July 23, 2017, 01:53:44 PM »
Interesting hypothetical.  I could make an argument for all the options except Passengers.

I'm gonna go with the mystery album that comes out between Zooropa and POP

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
Re: Where would HMTMKMKM have fit the best?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2017, 02:19:41 PM »
I opted for the mystery album, it's pretty different from both Zooropa and Pop.

Offline riffraff

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The storms will pass
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2017, 02:47:26 PM »
yup, mystery album...wonder what else would be on it?

Offline ZEROpartII

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2017, 03:21:15 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

It would be a concept album from our crazy imaginations.

Offline riffraff

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The storms will pass
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2017, 03:22:52 PM »

It would be a concept album from our crazy imaginations.
and, that's just scary...

Online THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2017, 08:11:11 PM »
Zooropa. Opening the 2nd half of the album.

Nothing else on the BF soundtrack sounds close to it.

It's home was the Popmart tour but that's not to say it wouldn't have been a kick to see MacPhisto come out singing it to open the Zoo TV encore.

Offline World71R

• Stateless
  • It's no secret ambition bites the nails of success
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2017, 10:44:56 PM »
Zooropa. It fits within the sonic realm of the album with the wah-wah like effect used that the title track also has, and a certain grandiosity to it that Stay also has. The song also has a more fun, loose atmosphere to it that some of the other songs on the album have (Numb, Crashed Car, Some Days).

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2017, 07:27:22 AM »
Side note: anyone else pick up how much this song apes T. Rex's "Children of the Revolution"?  The string part seems to purposefully invoke that song.

Offline hollywoodswag

• Wanderer
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2017, 08:42:11 AM »
I'd say Pop, because not only is the sound sort of in keeping with the direction Pop went, but the lyrical theme seems to fit in with some of the themes tackled on Pop, such as The Playboy Mansion.

That being said, I think that a song like Babyface is sort of in that same wheelhouse, so Zooropa would probably have been an equally good place for it to go. I have no idea what the theme has to do with anything in Batman Forever, though. I don't really remember any part of that movie tackling the struggles of being a celebrity and being worshipped by the public.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 08:44:54 AM by hollywoodswag »

Offline Vox

• Numb
  • Time is irrelevant, it's not linear.
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2017, 09:55:43 AM »
I always say Zooropa.  Based not only because the song title is on the cover of the Zooropa album, but also by its sound.

Offline ZEROpartII

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2017, 10:30:55 AM »
I always say Zooropa.  Based not only because the song title is on the cover of the Zooropa album, but also by its sound.

Yeah.  Imagine that coming out on the last leg of the Zoo-Tv tour. Insanity. That concert would go to 11

Online THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2017, 12:32:27 PM »
I'd say Pop, because not only is the sound sort of in keeping with the direction Pop went, but the lyrical theme seems to fit in with some of the themes tackled on Pop, such as The Playboy Mansion.

That being said, I think that a song like Babyface is sort of in that same wheelhouse, so Zooropa would probably have been an equally good place for it to go. I have no idea what the theme has to do with anything in Batman Forever, though. I don't really remember any part of that movie tackling the struggles of being a celebrity and being worshipped by the public.

Batman and Bruce Wayne were both of these things imo. The struggle would be more to do with the identity issues Bruce has etc.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2017, 01:14:17 PM »

Batman and Bruce Wayne were both of these things imo. The struggle would be more to do with the identity issues Bruce has etc.

That seems a bit of a stretch to me.  The song seems pretty solidly in the "Bono writing about himself being famous/Parallels of Jesus Christ and celebrity stardom" category.  "They want their money back if you're alive at 33", "Turning tricks with your crucifix", etc.  But the strings give the song a nice gothic feel that works as a Batman song.

I remember being excited to see the video to see what new direction they might be going in.  I loved it, but was maybe a little disappointed that it was just rehashing Zoo TV rather than marking a new direction for them.

Online THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2017, 01:44:11 PM »
i wasn't saying the song was written from the perspective of Batman, like we've discussed it's from the Zooropa sessions so Batman has nothing to do with it.

I was however referring to the themes of the film with Bruce/Batman being celebrities in the context of Gotham City.

The video was horrible. I mean i don't mind the footage of Batman Forever <i actually never hated that movie at all, i quiet enjoy it> but the dialogue/sound fx over the music were horribly annoying for me.

Offline MEMORY_MAN

• Party Girl/Boy
  • I must follow the path to the endless road...
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2017, 02:07:41 PM »
Zooropa. Opening the 2nd half of the album.

Nothing else on the BF soundtrack sounds close to it.

It's home was the Popmart tour but that's not to say it wouldn't have been a kick to see MacPhisto come out singing it to open the Zoo TV encore.

#THIS