26 (39.4%)
How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb
2 (3%)
No Line on the Horizon
1 (1.5%)
Songs of Innocence
1 (1.5%)

Total Members Voted: 66

Author Topic: What's U2's most front-loaded album?  (Read 574 times)

Offline Blueyedboy

• Numb
  • Embrace the challenge
Re: What's U2's most front-loaded album?
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2017, 03:37:26 AM »
So TJT and ATYCLB are always gonna be top of this poll, but an honorable mention goes to NLOTH, OK no hit singles as such but those opening songs are surprisingly strong.

Offline fardreamer

• Child of Grace
  • I'm only hanging on to watch you go down my love
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2017, 03:31:57 PM »
All That You Can't Leave Behind

TJT has all the hits up front but it could be argued that the second half is just as good.

Offline ecadad

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2017, 06:31:00 PM »
My impulse was TJT, I mean how can you top:

1. Where The Streets Have No Name
2. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
3. With or Without You
4. Bullet the Blue Sky
5. Running To Stand Still

That's just got to be one of the finest first sides of an album ever. But the flipside is incredible as well! So maybe The Joshua Tree isn't really front loaded, it's just loaded.

So then I thought ATYCLB's best half is absolutely side 1.

1. Beautiful Day
2. Stuck In a Moment You Can't get Out Of
3. Elevation
4. Walk On
5. Kite
6. In a Little While

Solid first half- but I think JT beats it.

...but what about HTDAAB?! That album had a lot of hits, mostly on the first side.

1. Vertigo
2. Miracle Drug
3. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
4. Love and Peace or Else
5. City of Blinding Lights

Not too shabby.

Tough one, but I've gotta give it to TJT, even if the entire album maintains the quality. WTSHNN-ISHFWILF-WOWY is just unbeatable.

Offline howyousawtheworld

• Wanderer
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2017, 09:03:56 AM »
The Joshua Tree's first three songs are the biggest opening to any album I've ever heard. Which is great in a way because it allows the lesser known but equally (if not more) brilliant songs later on in the album space around them to cement their own identity onto the record without ever having to be a precursor to one of the big three.

Thinking about it lately, I'm not actually a huge fan of I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For. For sure it's a classic to many and I DO like it but by U2's very high standards it's middling in comparison. I watched ZOO TV Live From Sydney right the way through for only the second time in the last 8 years and it startled me just how much that song was not missed from the setlist. By comparison it was pure magic watching them perform songs like Dirty Day, Daddy's Gonna Pay and a vast chunk of the Achtung Baby album. And yet the results are utterly glorious - something that happens when the band on stage pulls the audience in a certain direction. That's what U2 at their best do. The satisfaction is theirs and the movement of travel is very much from the stage to the audience.

It really made me think how some acts overthink the need for constant audience participation/satisfying the audience. I was at one of Coldplay's shows last year and they assault you with hit after hit after hit. More than that they have flashing wristbands, confetti explosions, flares - you name it. But the end result is exhaustion and you never really get a moment to just take a step back and watch the band perform or even pull out a song you've never heard of and in turn perhaps leaving you with the parting gift of a new favourite song by theirs. It also never allowed the show to develop a moment in space and time - no chance for it to mould a certain theme other than being something akin to a big birthday bash. It really made you realise just how much effort U2 put into constructing their shows and their setlists - a band so supreme and confident in their ability to put on a show that they don't always feel the need to plunder the greatest hits catalogue. As I mentioned earlier, where U2 pulled the audience in a direction they want to travel, Coldplay by comparison are led by their audience.

Anyway I digress - for sure Joshua Tree just slam dunks you right away with those three openers. But it works perfectly and enhances the album beyond the heavy front load.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 09:26:08 AM by howyousawtheworld »