Author Topic: Do this tour make you reconsider about a possible "Greatest Hits" tour ?  (Read 1101 times)

Offline soloyan

• Staring at the Sun
  • A dangerous idea that almost makes sense
I'm asking because I really loved the intro of last night : Sunday Bloody Sunday, New Year's day, Bad, Pride, Streets, I still haven't found...
No overthinking, no concept BS, just pure joy of hearing those songs right from the get go.

Of course, the first encore made me think because I am not a fan of either Beautiful day or Elevation... especially when compared to the solid first part of the show.

I also realized that those hits are mostly what make U2 unique and we have to enjoy them while they're still playing...

What's your take ?

Offline jgrooms

• Wanderer
  • Hello
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I'm asking because I really loved the intro of last night : Sunday Bloody Sunday, New Year's day, Bad, Pride, Streets, I still haven't found...
No overthinking, no concept BS, just pure joy of hearing those songs right from the get go.

Of course, the first encore made me think because I am not a fan of either Beautiful day or Elevation... especially when compared to the solid first part of the show.

I also realized that those hits are mostly what make U2 unique and we have to enjoy them while they're still playing...

What's your take ?

I think people way over think the "greatest hits" tour concept.  EVERY U2 tour is, in essence, a greatest hits tour as the majority of the setlist in any tour is their hits with the rest songs from the new album.

Just look at the I+E tour, the majority of the songs are the hits from yesteryear:

Average setlist for tour: iNNOCENCE + eXPERIENCE Tour from setlist.fm

1 - The Miracle (of Joey Ramone)
The Electric Co.
Vertigo
I Will Follow
2 - Iris (Hold Me Close)
3 - Cedarwood Road
4 - Song for Someone
Sunday Bloody Sunday
5- Raised by Wolves
Until the End of the World
The Fly
Invisible
Even Better Than the Real Thing
Mysterious Ways
Elevation
Desire
6- Every Breaking Wave
October
Bullet the Blue Sky
Zooropa
Pride (In the Name of Love)
With or Without You
Where the Streets Have No Name

Encore:
Beautiful Day
City of Blinding Lights
One

2/3's of the songs are not new material but warhorses.

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
I hope this is as close to a GH tour as we ever get, unless they revisit Achtung Baby at some point. I would fly anywhere in the world to see that show.

Offline bass slap

• Running to Stand Still
  • Hot as a hair dryer.. In your face!

What's your take ?

Much more comfortable with the idea after seeing JT30. The first 8 songs were relentless, the crowd loving each one, no fat there.. It just brought it home how amazing this band is.

I enjoyed the last 2 tours, and have no issue with them being a working band. but the new songs just don't cut the mustard compared to the old.  And frankly I don't believe anyone that says otherwise.

Would anyone trade the first 4 songs on this tour for the miracle, cedar wood road, magnificent, goyb? Nah, of course not.

Offline macky0104

• Babyface

What's your take ?

Much more comfortable with the idea after seeing JT30. The first 8 songs were relentless, the crowd loving each one, no fat there.. It just brought it home how amazing this band is.

I enjoyed the last 2 tours, and have no issue with them being a working band. but the new songs just don't cut the mustard compared to the old.  And frankly I don't believe anyone that says otherwise.

Would anyone trade the first 4 songs on this tour for the miracle, cedar wood road, magnificent, goyb? Nah, of course not.
I would trade newer songs for the first 4 songs of this tour as I prefer to hear new music.

Sent from my LG-H818 using Tapatalk

Offline Alpha

• Babyface
I hope they never ever do that. Traveling around without any new music, or off an album noone bothered to listen to, playing old songs like a coverband of them selves. That's just sad, so sad. I wouldn't go. Other bands have done that, like the Rolling Stones. Guess they needed to buy another mansion. But I hope U2 never stoops that low. Touring with JT is in the borderlands, but since the album is so iconic I guess they'll get a pass.

Offline Kmama07

• Running to Stand Still
  • She is everywhere and no place
As much as I'm always hoping for new music releases by the band (and sometimes disappointed by those releases...and/or lack thereof) I'd be lying if I didn't admit I'd go see any tour. All greatest hits or not. Been following them far too long. Too much history invested for me not to!

Offline riffraff

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The storms will pass
I'd go in a heartbeat.

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
I would grumble and complain that U2 are a bunch of sellouts, call Bono a massive hypocrite, go on about how it could damage their legacy, etc.

But then I'd wind up going and having a great time anyway.  ;)

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • take the long way home
Wouldn't bother me if they did one.

...of course, that doesn't mean I'd go. Like I said back when the current tour was announced, I hope everyone attending has a great time.

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Running to Stand Still
Re: Do this tour make you reconsider about a possible "Greatest Hits" tour ?
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2017, 07:53:50 PM »
I would rather they continue to make new music and intermix it with the hits.  But if there ever came a time when the well runs dry, well, then sure!

Offline ShankAsu

• Child of Grace
  • Can't fight for s---, but sure can take a beating
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2017, 01:08:16 PM »
i think a lot of people fear that the band is now going to become a greatest hits band because of this tour.  but its already been mentioned a few times, every tours covers most of the hits with along with whatever new album they're touring.  still, i want new music from this band.

Offline Crewboy

• Stateless
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2017, 10:34:02 PM »
I would go out on a limb and say that the band doesn't really want to go out on a Greatest Hits tour.

If they did, it would be due to pressure from Live Nation and not of their own accord.  The band themselves have stated that they don't want to be a "heritage" act.

The closest they came to a Greatest Hits tour for me was the second leg of 360 that played America a year after the original dates were postponed due to Bono's back surgery.  Those shows were more to promote the 20th anniversary of Achtung Baby (the setlist more than proved that) as the Horizon album had already run it's cycle and the band simply needed to make up the dates.

This tour seems different.  Almost a feeling that if it were up to them, it would be a few select shows rather an a full blown tour.

Offline trevgreg

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2017, 10:13:49 AM »
I think people way over think the "greatest hits" tour concept.  EVERY U2 tour is, in essence, a greatest hits tour as the majority of the setlist in any tour is their hits with the rest songs from the new album.

Right. That's how most bands do it too. This tour seems to be an exception to the rule, but like people said, they only really go down that route if the new album cycle has already been played out (TJT tour, 2011 360 dates, etc.).

In terms of whether or not I want to see the band live whatever they do, I'm pretty much at a point where I'll always catch them on tour if I get a chance. If it's all about the hipster cred of playing exclusively new songs and obscure tracks, well, maybe concerts just aren't for that person then. This band has never done it that way and probably won't in the future. On top of that, I'm sure there's plenty of Prince or Soundgarden fans who wouldn't mind hearing Little Red Corvette or Black Hole sun for the umpteenth time at this point or any time in the future. We're still lucky in that respect.

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2017, 10:27:04 AM »
Compare the number of new songs U2 plays on its usual tours to other acts of their age and stature. They are still working behind new material in the way most bands 40 years into their careers do not, and they deserve a metric ton of credit for doing that, we as fans, deserve that same credit for WANTING new material to be played rather than hitting the beer line.