Author Topic: Paris 1 & 2 review/observations  (Read 497 times)

Offline very good

• Party Girl/Boy
Paris 1 & 2 review/observations
« on: July 27, 2017, 02:40:53 PM »
Noel oozed class as a support act on both nights.  There were mishaps/hangovers involved but thought he was fantastic - shame the Parisians didn't get a bit more involved but for a support act I couldn't have asked for much more.  Wonderwall (which he now sings like the Ryan Adams version) was beautifully played.

Observations from U2's sets:
- The sound was better the further back you went (so much so that we stood at the back for the 2nd show).
- Bad is a gazillion times better than a sort of homecoming (this was the 2nd time homecoming as been a real disappointment - slane 1 being the other).
- Night 2 was better than night 1 (despite ASOH and MW).  Better atmosphere and band more relaxed.
- UV is a great great song but the visuals took away from it's brilliance.
- Bono needs to stop preaching - you'd think I would be used to this by now (these were my 13th and 14th shows) but my patience was tested in Paris.
- The first 4 songs followed by the Joshua Tree plus screen works really well (although actually seeing the b stage from GA proved very difficult).  Really enjoyed seeing these songs and felt the band enjoyed playing them.
- The encore was only okay.   One was great on both nights.
- Bono's voice isn't what it was (and why would it be?) but still listenable to - not sure how many more tours before it becomes too strained.
- Overall a decent show but felt like a stop off on the way to (hopefully) better.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 02:42:03 PM by very good »

Offline dublinireland

• Wanderer
Re: Paris 1 & 2 review/observations
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2017, 04:33:28 PM »
It's amazing to me that he can still sing after all these years. All the practice, shows, etc. I wonder what the total would be. I liked his voice better when it was deeper. It does seem to have changed a lot of the years (to me) but concert after concert it's still pretty amazing.

Offline cocamojoe

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2017, 07:07:29 PM »
From tuning in via either Mixlr or Periscope, I feel like Bono's sermonizing in Europe is the worst.

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2017, 08:05:32 PM »
Bono is a frustrated preacher, so there will always be sermonizing.  I think he's actually quite good at it.

Offline Mr. Sarajevo 20

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2017, 02:43:36 PM »
He gets away with more in Europe.

Also, I believe his voice will be better next tour, as he will be singing 7-10 new songs that fit his current voice capabilities.

Offline Dono

• Stateless
  • If I could, I would.....
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2017, 09:32:05 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
He gets away with more in Europe.

Also, I believe his voice will be better next tour, as he will be singing 7-10 new songs that fit his current voice capabilities.

Exactly. Proof was in Little Things where his voice was superb in Twix and Croke.

Offline mariamontreal

• Running to Stand Still
  • She moves in mysterious ways
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2017, 02:40:33 PM »
I agree the new album will reflect his current singing voice really excited for the next album and tour.